Simple Ethernet port -> WiFi question

26 posts in this topic

I live in a student dormitory where they provide a plug-play ethernet wall socket (RJ45 Anschlussdose), i use a USB-C Hub to plug it into my Laptop and the speed is impressive (1Gbps download/upload speeddemon), nevertheless, i would like to have it available as Wi-Fi too for my phone & other devices, im not very familiar with how routers/modems work but i tried using a Fritzbox 7490 and plugging it anywhere there doesn't generate Wi-Fi (x4 LAN ports and some phone ports, and a DSL port that i won't be using).

My question is what router/modem do i need to generate Wi-Fi without losing much download-upload speed, even expensive modem advices are welcome, just something that is easy to setup and guaranteed.

Cheers

You do not need (and cannot use) a router or modem for this purpose.

You need four items:

1.  A small Gigabit Ethernet Switch (4-port would be fine)

2.  A Wireless Access Point (WAP)

3.  Two Ethernet patch cables, length determined by where you need to place the equipment.

You will also need electrical power ports for the Switch and the WAP.

Connect the Switch to the ethernet wall socket.  Connect your laptop and the WAP to the Switch.  Configure the WAP per instructions.

Now you have both ethernet connections and WLAN.

I highly appreciate your help Space Cowboy!
Weirdly enough i have set this up before but didn't realize i'd need it for my own place too.

Im thinking a Ubiquiti WAPNetgear GS305 Gigabit and of couple of these patchcables

Do you think this configuration would still generate something close to 1Gig up/down or could it be significantly lower?

Cheers

You can use a router as long as it has a Access point option, I use a similar one to the below in my attic space as the regular wifi does not reach that far.  Just connect an ethernet cable to the box then configure as a access point, the one below also has

4 ethernet  ports on the box it self so you do not need a switch, Cables are also included. 

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/TP-Link-C6-dual-band-external-antennas/dp/B07GVR9TG7/ref=pd_sbs_147_10?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GVR9TG7&pd_rd_r=dbcd9c91-dbb7-459e-9434-bac245c2cc88&pd_rd_w=xFDAt&pd_rd_wg=Ht0V1&pf_rd_p=d5022659-416a-420a-bccc-de3cf1d7297a&pf_rd_r=HYE7BGNX1Q18YZVTBMST&psc=1&refRID=HYE7BGNX1Q18YZVTBMST

4 hours ago, RAMBO said:

You can use a router as long as it has a Access point option, I use a similar one to the below in my attic space as the regular wifi does not reach that far.  Just connect an ethernet cable to the box then configure as a access point, the one below also has

4 ethernet  ports on the box it self so you do not need a switch, Cables are also included. 

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/TP-Link-C6-dual-band-external-antennas/dp/B07GVR9TG7/ref=pd_sbs_147_10?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GVR9TG7&pd_rd_r=dbcd9c91-dbb7-459e-9434-bac245c2cc88&pd_rd_w=xFDAt&pd_rd_wg=Ht0V1&pf_rd_p=d5022659-416a-420a-bccc-de3cf1d7297a&pf_rd_r=HYE7BGNX1Q18YZVTBMST&psc=1&refRID=HYE7BGNX1Q18YZVTBMST

That seems like the perfect solution that i'm looking for, AC1900 looks good, that means i just plug my ethernet cable in the blue WAN port and connect my devices to the 5GHz connection? :)

So now i would need two routers? sorry im just getting a bit confused with the comments.

bear in mind that i will be returning the Fritzbox and i don't have another router. just the Anschlussdose and a single Ethernet RJ45 cable.

Just buy what I said earlier or one of faster ones provided in the link above, thats all you need. If you want to place the box further away from the wall connection then buy a longer Ethernet RJ45 cable. For example mine is paced on the other side of the room to enable me to plug my TV, Playstation,Dvd using short cables directly into the box. Plus it enables me to have

Wi-Fi for handys when on top floor. 

Almost any router can do it.  Even your Fritzbox should work, you need to enter to the Fritzbox configuration and figure out what's going on.

19 hours ago, Endstation said:

So now i would need two routers?

No. "Another router" as described in the guide I linked would be some hardware in your dormitory/University.

Of course it's difficult to offer more help with the configuration if all you say is "it doesn't generate Wi-Fi". Even without any Internet Access at all the Fritz!Box should be able offer WiFi, if only to allow you to access its Web UI (via http://fritz.box/). If the WiFi LED is not on then maybe you just need to press the "WLAN WPS" button once.

OP - don’t use a router.  Despite the good intentions of those recommending you use a router, it will make things more complex and problematic, not less.

A home “router” is actually a residential gateway, with switching (and possibly WLAN) capability.  It is designed to connect your Local Area Network to a Wide Area Network (IOW, the “internet”).  It provides the appropriate connections, Network Address Translation, Firewall, DHCP, DNS connectivity, etc.  From your description, you are on a campus-wide intranet LAN, so you need none of those things.  Your campus network already provides all of those capabilities.

So, to use a router in that environment you would have to basically turn off everything that makes a router a router - you would just be using it as a Switch.

You can buy a brand-new Gigabit Switch for 11€.  You can buy a WAP for 21€.  Since you are already getting all the routing functions you need from your campus network, why pay more for routing functions that you will not use?

Thank you all for your contributions!

As a matter of fact i think i will place conveniency over budget here since i would like to avoid having multiple devices and cables hanging around, therefore i'm trying TP-Link's Archer C80 AC1900, will post the speed results once it's set up ^_^

On 23.9.2020, 09:34:27, BobbyDigital said:

Why wouldn't you just follow the instructions I posted and use the Fritzbox that you already have?

He says he is returning the Fritz!Box. So it seems he only bought it recently and can still get the money back. I agree that he should be able to make the Fritz!Box work (probably - we can't know 100% how the dorm network is setup).

2 hours ago, sneaker said:

He says he is returning the Fritz!Box. So it seems he only bought it recently and can still get the money back. I agree that he should be able to make the Fritz!Box work (probably - we can't know 100% how the dorm network is setup).

True, I missed the part about planning to return it.

The C80 1900 just arrived, plugged in the ethernet cable in the WAN port, got WLAN directly, but the speed is horrible 90 down/ 80 up

I remember something about connecting to the 5GHz, i just didn't get the option, must be something that i need to setup myself

Okay, big yikes here, i went to the router portal and set up everything, connected my devices to the 5GHz network and the results are disappointing to say the least: 

big yikes.PNG

Any ideas what could i have missed?!