Mailing medicine within EU countries.

42 posts in this topic

Hi, 

i got a hair fall problem and using some medication, it’s costing 100-120 € for three months. So, i asked my Indian friend, on his home trip to get it from his country, as it’s darn cheap there, about 6-12 euro for yearly supply. That’s 2-3% of costs here. He brought it, i asked him to mail it to my address in Germany, he lives in Denmark. Will there be a problem? I heard one can’t mail medicines from non EU countries and would be destroyed by German customs. What would be the case if I get it from Denmark?

It's illegal to send prescription medication from one EU country to another - https://www.zoll.de/DE/Privatpersonen/Postsendungen-Internetbestellungen/Sendungen-innerhalb-der-EU/Einschraenkungen/Arzneimittel/arzneimittel_node.html

" Privatpersonen dürfen nach dem deutschen Arzneimittelrecht im Wege des Postversandes grundsätzlich keine Arzneimittel aus einem Mitgliedstaat der EU bestellen. "

I suppose there is a chance that you won't get caught but if you do then you will probably only end up with a fine if your friend only sends enough for a month or two as it will be obvious that it's for personal usage rather than for selling on to other people for profit.

20 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

It's illegal to send prescription medication from one EU country to another - https://www.zoll.de/DE/Privatpersonen/Postsendungen-Internetbestellungen/Sendungen-innerhalb-der-EU/Einschraenkungen/Arzneimittel/arzneimittel_node.html

" Privatpersonen dürfen nach dem deutschen Arzneimittelrecht im Wege des Postversandes grundsätzlich keine Arzneimittel aus einem Mitgliedstaat der EU bestellen. "

The paragraph immediately following that states quite a few exceptions...

25 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

I suppose there is a chance that you won't get caught but if you do then you will probably only end up with a fine if your friend only sends enough for a month or two as it will be obvious that it's for personal usage rather than for selling on to other people for profit.

hi, thanks for the reply.

the immediate next paragraph states mailing between two private individuals is not covered in the act.

2 minutes ago, Missile said:

hi, thanks for the reply.

the immediate next paragraph states mailing between two private individuals is not covered in the act.

Yes I know.  But your wording was a bit vague.

1 hour ago, Missile said:

Hi, 

i got a hair fall problem and using some medication, it’s costing 100-120 € for three months. So, i asked my Indian friend, on his home trip to get it from his country, as it’s darn cheap there, about 6-12 euro for yearly supply. That’s 2-3% of costs here. He brought it, i asked him to mail it to my address in Germany, he lives in Denmark. Will there be a problem? I heard one can’t mail medicines from non EU countries and would be destroyed by German customs. What would be the case if I get it from Denmark?

Is that real medicine or some "treatment" that might be banned from import into the EU? Can you specify the medication name?

18 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Is that real medicine or some "treatment" that might be banned from import into the EU? Can you specify the medication name?

finasteride propecia 1mg ...for three month I use a strip which costs 50-60 euros. Adding to that minoxidil 5 3X, which is another 60 euros.

Theres a generic variants in India which are dart cheap. finasteride called finpecia, which is around 8 euro for 120 tablets, generic minoxidil liquid costs another 1.5 euro.  That’s 8€ plus 1.5 x 3 ..that’s another 4.5. 

Total 12.5€ for almost an year. As I have another 3 bottles of minoxidil lying.

Just now, Missile said:

Theres a generic variants in India which are dart cheap

In other words you want to have your cake and eat it too. 

Although salaries in Germany often are higher than in India, so is the cost of living. 

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

In other words you want to have your cake and eat it too. 

Although salaries in Germany often are higher than in India, so is the cost of living. 

No, I want to have my hair :D. Balding is not a disease. So, I don’t get discounts in KK.

1 minute ago, Missile said:

No, I want to have my hair :D. Balding is not a disease. So, I don’t get discounts in KK.

How about a nice beard?  Luxuriant moustache?

Finasteride requires a medical prescription...but I guess you already have it.

Finasteride has some serious side effects, I would be careful in going with a generic brand, which is not the same as Propecia.

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

Finasteride requires a medical prescription...but I guess you already have it.

Finasteride has some serious side effects, I would be careful in going with a generic brand, which is not the same as Propecia.

Propecia is also cheap there like 14-15 euro for 120 tablets. Let me try this for 2-3 months. If there are side effects, some friend or friend of friend would be coming from India every month:lol:.

I buy Finasterid 5 mg tablets and cut them into quarters of 1.25 mg each. That´s way cheaper than buying the 1 mg variety. I deem the 25% higher dose clinically irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Erm, there is no cure for baldness.

There are several, especially if a person just wants to keep the existing hair, but there are strong caveats with all of them. Finasterid works in most cases, but the side effects, when they happen, are quite bad, as it is a hormone treatment. Some of these effects are permanent, even if you stop taking the drug.

• Erectile dysfunction.
  • Decreased libido.
  • Ejaculatory disorder.
  • Swelling in face, arms, hands, legs, or feet.
  • Breast tenderness or swelling.
  • Male breast cancer.
  • Dizziness.
  • Headache.

1 hour ago, warsteiner70 said:

It's illegal to send prescription medication from one EU country to another

And non-prescription? Some medicines in one country need a prescription whilst in another they don't.

I have ordered multiples times some medicine, from Europe or China, with or without prescription, some of them are illegal in Europe.

I always received my order, without any issues with Zoll.

My 2 cents - just order what you need, if is not a 5 Kg package then you've got nothing to worry about.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Bear said:

I have ordered multiples times some medicine, from Europe

without prescription

I have done this as well. Legally, both EU and non-EU.

Good to know. In the similar note, can a friend send me iPhone, AirPods etc from US?

They have a lot of discounts there.