In search of my father in Bremen

9 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

I’m wondering if someome can assist me or help this to reach the right person. I’m Roselyn, 38 and from Stephenville, Newfoundland Canada where we previously had a pulp and paper mill, Abitibi Consolidation. A man by the name of Carl/ Karl Hynes/Hines (Hottle was also mentioned so unsure if it was a part of his name) used to be a chef for one of the paper ships from Germany. For 18 years I have been searching for him and I’m his only blood child as his wife after my mother could not bare to have children we were told. After 20 years Abitibi destroys any document in relation to passengers and I was 1 year too late. 

My mother’s name is Theresa Bennett and the man who raised me is Bruce to which Karl/Carl has met on several occasions before leaving to go back to his country.  He knows that he has a daughter but my mother told him to stay away. 

The only information I have is his name and that he was a red seal chef and opened his own restaurant in Bremen Germany many years ago. He was older then my mother to which she is currently 68 so he would be in his 70’s. 

If I can get my story out there so someone that knows him can see this and reach out it would be greatly appreciated. This is my last hope and don’t want to be too late or have something happen to him before I can find him. 

Thank you for reading my story and hope to hear from someone soon. 

Just a thought: Carl/Karl Hynes/Hines sounds like an anglicisation of the German name Karl-Heinz.

And might 'Hottle' be an anglicised form of the surname Höttl/Hoettel/Hoettels?

That's a good hint from Jenny. I would also assume Karl-Heinz as German first name. Typical German name for someone in his 70s. Probably retired by now.

You could contact a local radio station with your story. Perhaps they are willing to air it and see if there is a response from the public.

1 hour ago, jennyhoehr said:

And might 'Hottle' be an anglicised form of the surname Höttl/Hoettel/Hoettels?

The H might be superfluous, so it could be Öttl or Oettel just by the sound of it.

Or even OTTO.

It is unfortunate that the name you have to go on is so close to such a common one. Almost as good as John Smith.

There are 700 odd restaurants around Bremen... contacts are on Tripadvisor if you have the time and patience to contact them. But it would be a very long shot indeed, especially if you are not sure of the name...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g187325-Bremen.html

Try googling Red Seal chefs- Wiki came up with a long list of names from all centuries and countries!

Also, the suggestion to contact a local Bremen paper might be worth following.