Einbürgerung/Citizenship Application time frame at Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt

56 posts in this topic

Short update : I called up einburgeramt office, Frankfurt today to know the status and it seems to be currently pending with auslanderbehorde, Frankfurt.

Process seems to be moving in slow pace ☹️

Update from my end: after a long and patient wait of almost 19 months, and multiple back and forth with documents (3 or 4 times), we received a 'letter' today, not an 'Eiburgerungzusicherung' just a normal 'Brief' from the RP stating the application has been decided upon and the Urkunde would be prepared and sent to either the Standesamt of our city or the Foreign Office of the Kreis, and that we would receive the details about the appointment from them. Although a relief to have received this letter, the information provided raises more questions than it answers... so I turn to you guys to answer, rather than ask them (who have explicitly also stated that we should refrain from asking questions to them until the time we receive the appointment)!!

@Narjiz - could you please confirm if you received a similar letter before the actual  Eiburgerungzusicherung?

How long out was the appointment for picking up the Urkunde, and where did you pick it up from?

Was the renunciation of the passport to be completed before picking up the Urkunde? If yes, can we start the process with this letter to is it better to wait for the Eiburgerungzusicherung?

Thanks as always for your helpful answers!! 

Final update: got the call from Standesamt, and picked up the Urkunde within 3 days! Now the next task - renouncing current citizenship :)

Not sure if I should be jumping with joy, but the 19 month wait ended almost in an anti climax since it came through quite suddenly and unexpectedly...  it is still sinking in, bin ich jetzt wirklich deutsch geworden :)?

Well, if you feel German, good for you, but the majority will not see you as such. THEY would rather you say 'bin ich jetzt wirklich deutsche Staatsburger geworden?' But, as far as I'm concerned, du bist jetzt Deutscher unless you prefer to be called otherwise. Herzlichen Glueckwuensch.

On 19/10/2021, 10:26:44, kaffeemitmilch said:

Well, if you feel German, good for you, but the majority will not see you as such. THEY would rather you say 'bin ich jetzt wirklich deutsche Staatsburger geworden?' But, as far as I'm concerned, du bist jetzt Deutscher unless you prefer to be called otherwise. Herzlichen Glueckwuensch.

@kaffeemitmilch LOL thanks for clarifying the technicality, indeed I meant if I have become a 'German citizen' rather than a 'genetically native German' and did not see the difference from an allegiance perspective :) - you do touch a serious point about inclusivity though and I think the society has a long way to go to be fully inclusive, it is a phenomena we see more and more of around the world and not much one can do about it individually. Aber Danke!

Well no. Not really. IMHO. You have a piece of paper which confers rights and obligations. Is that going to change your inner person ? I acquired a second nationality this year. But I am not and never will be French ... on the inside. For me it came as a relief. I now feel less vulnerable. But that's where any emotion stops.

On 19.10.2021, 10:26:44, kaffeemitmilch said:

Well, if you feel German, good for you, but the majority will not see you as such.

I have to say that after the initial euphoria, I started to refer to myself as 'Brexit-Deutsch', which says it all, really.

Trying to revive a thread.

I have a few questions, perhaps others can help.

Live in Cologne, was asked to email all the documents for me, wife and kid in July 2021. This week we got a mail for Wife and Kid to show up for an interview with the papers next week. 

• I do feel a little left out<_< that I wasnt invited with them, but I suppose I will get my turn. 
  • What is usually expected in the interview? Must she remember the kolsche grundgesetz?
  • What happens after the interview, an urkunde in a few weeks?

@bazing

i would imagine they just go through what extra documents are needed for your family. You can of course attend with them. 

i submitted my application online three weeks ago. I have yet to hear anything from our office. A mail to confirm anything would be great. So far only email I got is that the payment was processed. Here’s to the long haul!

Interesting, we havent been asked to pay yet. I expect they will ask that.

Do they ask anything specific also during the interview?

Just to close the feedback.

We turned up at the Amt yesterday, and then Beamter was curious why I was there, when I mentioned that they never invited me. So they asked us to return later in the afternoon to apply as a family :)

They simply took all the document copies, verified against the originals, made us sign the forms. The we paid the fees.

They also mentioned that our documents looked in order, and it will take upto 12 weeks from hereon. If it gets delayed then they have asked us to reach out again.

It was pretty smooth, took 30 minutes in total and we were out.

I suspect the Ausländerbehörden will all be focused heavily on processing the Ukrainian refugees for the next while, which obviously takes priority.

Although a lurker of this thread, just wanted to share my time frame with the Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt.

Applied on: September 2020

Zusicherung came on: 18 March 2022

I am a citizen of a non-EU European country, so I have still to go till the end.

@bazing glad to hear it went smooth. I hope you get it in that time frame. A friend of mine wasn’t told any time line but him and his family took 11 weeks.

im still waiting to hear back after 6 weeks and not a peep. I didn’t have a in person interview. I was referred to my cities website, told to make sure I meet the requirements and apply online. So I did. 

@arpagjiki what in the world held it up so long to take that amount of time?

Hello everyone, 

I thought i can also share the updates on my sides since i am also in the same boat. Waiting for my naturalisation. 

I am from a non EU country and been living in Germany since 2010. I applied for my Einbürgerung in February 2021. No Personal interview was needed, they asked me to submit all the documents by post. I applied in Frankfurt.

In May 2021, i got my first letter saying that they have received my documents. They will evaluate and get back to me.

In September 2021, i received second letter telling me to book a personal meeting and bring original documents for verification. 
In October 2021, i had the personal meeting (it wasn't an interview, as in - no questions asked) and they checked all the documents saying now they will send the application to Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt. 

In September 2021, i received letter from Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt saying they have received my application from Frankfurt office. The letter also said that half of the naturalisation department staff is currently engaged with corona compensation program due to which there is a backlog on naturalisation applications of non EU applicants and the waiting time is approximately 11-12 months before they start processing on the application.

Zurzeit beträgt die Wartezeit bis Bearbeitungsbeginn ca. 11-12 Monate ab Antragsübersendung durch die untere Verwaltungsbehörde.

It is also mentioned here in this link

https://rp-darmstadt.hessen.de/soziales/einbuergerung

So now i am hoping that sometime end of 2022, i get my Zusicherung - Fingers crossed.

Any one else had similar experience? 

One thing i would like to ask is, right now i am contemplating to switch my employer and become a freelancer (as i have got a good opportunity at my hand). I am just thinking if there could be any affect on my naturalisation application - any thoughts on that?

On 24/03/2022, 21:31:56, Funkndunk said:

@arpagjiki what in the world held it up so long to take that amount of time?

Two factors, the pandemic and not being an EU citizen.