Einbürgerung/Citizenship Application time frame at Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt

47 posts in this topic

Short update : I called up einburgeramt office, Frankfurt today to know the status and it seems to be currently pending with auslanderbehorde, Frankfurt.

Process seems to be moving in slow pace ☹️

Update from my end: after a long and patient wait of almost 19 months, and multiple back and forth with documents (3 or 4 times), we received a 'letter' today, not an 'Eiburgerungzusicherung' just a normal 'Brief' from the RP stating the application has been decided upon and the Urkunde would be prepared and sent to either the Standesamt of our city or the Foreign Office of the Kreis, and that we would receive the details about the appointment from them. Although a relief to have received this letter, the information provided raises more questions than it answers... so I turn to you guys to answer, rather than ask them (who have explicitly also stated that we should refrain from asking questions to them until the time we receive the appointment)!!

@Narjiz - could you please confirm if you received a similar letter before the actual  Eiburgerungzusicherung?

How long out was the appointment for picking up the Urkunde, and where did you pick it up from?

Was the renunciation of the passport to be completed before picking up the Urkunde? If yes, can we start the process with this letter to is it better to wait for the Eiburgerungzusicherung?

Thanks as always for your helpful answers!! 

Final update: got the call from Standesamt, and picked up the Urkunde within 3 days! Now the next task - renouncing current citizenship :)

Not sure if I should be jumping with joy, but the 19 month wait ended almost in an anti climax since it came through quite suddenly and unexpectedly...  it is still sinking in, bin ich jetzt wirklich deutsch geworden :)?

Well, if you feel German, good for you, but the majority will not see you as such. THEY would rather you say 'bin ich jetzt wirklich deutsche Staatsburger geworden?' But, as far as I'm concerned, du bist jetzt Deutscher unless you prefer to be called otherwise. Herzlichen Glueckwuensch.

On 19/10/2021, 10:26:44, kaffeemitmilch said:

Well, if you feel German, good for you, but the majority will not see you as such. THEY would rather you say 'bin ich jetzt wirklich deutsche Staatsburger geworden?' But, as far as I'm concerned, du bist jetzt Deutscher unless you prefer to be called otherwise. Herzlichen Glueckwuensch.

@kaffeemitmilch LOL thanks for clarifying the technicality, indeed I meant if I have become a 'German citizen' rather than a 'genetically native German' and did not see the difference from an allegiance perspective :) - you do touch a serious point about inclusivity though and I think the society has a long way to go to be fully inclusive, it is a phenomena we see more and more of around the world and not much one can do about it individually. Aber Danke!

Well no. Not really. IMHO. You have a piece of paper which confers rights and obligations. Is that going to change your inner person ? I acquired a second nationality this year. But I am not and never will be French ... on the inside. For me it came as a relief. I now feel less vulnerable. But that's where any emotion stops.

On 19.10.2021, 10:26:44, kaffeemitmilch said:

Well, if you feel German, good for you, but the majority will not see you as such.

I have to say that after the initial euphoria, I started to refer to myself as 'Brexit-Deutsch', which says it all, really.