Einbürgerung/Citizenship Application time frame at Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt

35 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have a question related to the processing time (as current as possible) for a Citizenship through naturalization application at the Regierungspräsidium in Darmstadt for a non-British person.

We (family of 4) completed 8 years in Germany recently, and applied for citizenship through our local Rathaus in March (a couple of days before the lockdown). We received the invoice to pay the processing fees towards the end of May, and we paid it almost immediately. Since then it is complete silence. I understand the process takes time, but currently it is a black hole and we have no visibility on what is happening (or even IF something is happening).

Given this, I would like someone to share their experience (as recent as possible), with regards to the following:

1. How much time does it take, if you are not a British national (since there is the fast track process for them)? - was told it is around 12 months, but since we have not heard anything yet, we feel the current situation might have lead to further delays.

2. If everything is in order, do they just send the final confirmation? or are there interim steps?

3. If things are not in order (missing information/additional information they might need) or there are problems with the submitted documents - do they provide a deadline for providing additional information?

4. Is it appropriate to speak with the officer in-charge at the Rathaus, or even directly at the Regierungspräsidium to inquire on the status?

I know there are multiple posts related to Citizenship, but my question is specific to the office in Darmstadt, and the current situation. Hence posting this as a new thread. 

The reasons to ask is not just impatience, but because our passports (Indian) are valid until early next year (Feb and April), and we would like to know if we need to apply for new passports, and consequently new Aufenthaltstitels etc. in good time. Not to mention the further delay this will cause in the citizenship application.

Thanks in advance for a response.

Cheers!

More or less the same boat,1 month after you. We followed up with Rathaus, standard response, it can take longer due to Corona. Initially we were told it could take 1-2 years. 

On 15/09/2020, 12:13:06, ingermany said:

The reasons to ask is not just impatience, but because our passports (Indian) are valid until early next year (Feb and April), and we would like to know if we need to apply for new passports, and consequently new Aufenthaltstitels etc. in good time. Not to mention the further delay this will cause in the citizenship application

Feb is actually too close as in current situation even Indian passport processing could take longer. Your old visa should be valid along with your old and new passports together. 

On 9/29/2020, 11:33:47, ivn490 said:

More or less the same boat,1 month after you. We followed up with Rathaus, standard response, it can take longer due to Corona. Initially we were told it could take 1-2 years. 

Feb is actually too close as in current situation even Indian passport processing could take longer. Your old visa should be valid along with your old and new passports together. 

Thanks for the response. I think there is not much we can do other than hoping for the best but preparing for the worst!! 

I have never heard of it taking 2 years! 14 months was the max I knew.

We called the standesamt today, same response, can't say anything, can't give any concrete info. 

what's your status? keep updating so we know what to expect.  

My husband sent the application with all the supporting documents in July 2020. He is non EU (we are both non EU). It is now Oct 2020 and he hasn't received a single reply (no Eingangsbescheinigung). I heard that the RP Darmstadt is accepting applications but not processing them due to COVID19. The wait time depends on your nationality I heard :(. Rumours say the wait time is roughly 2 years. 

On 9/15/2020, 12:13:06, ingermany said:

Hello!

I have a question related to the processing time (as current as possible) for a Citizenship through naturalization application at the Regierungspräsidium in Darmstadt for a non-British person.

We (family of 4) completed 8 years in Germany recently, and applied for citizenship through our local Rathaus in March (a couple of days before the lockdown). We received the invoice to pay the processing fees towards the end of May, and we paid it almost immediately. Since then it is complete silence. I understand the process takes time, but currently it is a black hole and we have no visibility on what is happening (or even IF something is happening).

Given this, I would like someone to share their experience (as recent as possible), with regards to the following:

1. How much time does it take, if you are not a British national (since there is the fast track process for them)? - was told it is around 12 months, but since we have not heard anything yet, we feel the current situation might have lead to further delays.

2. If everything is in order, do they just send the final confirmation? or are there interim steps?

3. If things are not in order (missing information/additional information they might need) or there are problems with the submitted documents - do they provide a deadline for providing additional information?

4. Is it appropriate to speak with the officer in-charge at the Rathaus, or even directly at the Regierungspräsidium to inquire on the status?

I know there are multiple posts related to Citizenship, but my question is specific to the office in Darmstadt, and the current situation. Hence posting this as a new thread. 

The reasons to ask is not just impatience, but because our passports (Indian) are valid until early next year (Feb and April), and we would like to know if we need to apply for new passports, and consequently new Aufenthaltstitels etc. in good time. Not to mention the further delay this will cause in the citizenship application.

Thanks in advance for a response.

Cheers!

I would go ahead with applying for a new passport. I HIGHLY doubt you will get citizenship by the beginning of 2021. Darmstadt is known for being real slow. Well a good sign you received an invoice. My husband applied in July and has yet to receive anything. 

On 10/14/2020, 10:10:24, ivn490 said:

We called the standesamt today, same response, can't say anything, can't give any concrete info. 

what's your status? keep updating so we know what to expect.  

Hey, been a while since I logged in here, but I called the Standesamt and was told something similar. Also that now it can takes upwards of 18 months to process, so no chance of it being processed by Feb!

The annoying part is not the time it takes, but the fact that there is no status of progress. 

On 11/4/2020, 7:56:37, Narjiz said:

I would go ahead with applying for a new passport. I HIGHLY doubt you will get citizenship by the beginning of 2021. Darmstadt is known for being real slow. Well a good sign you received an invoice. My husband applied in July and has yet to receive anything. 

Yes, as mentioned above it seems 18 months is the minimum, especially since we applied for the entire family. 

Regarding nationality, I know only that British citizens were being given priority due to Brexit, and probably for other EU nationals it is quicker since the due diligence is not the same. But not aware of other nationalities.

21 hours ago, ingermany said:

Hey, been a while since I logged in here, but I called the Standesamt and was told something similar. Also that now it can takes upwards of 18 months to process, so no chance of it being processed by Feb!

The annoying part is not the time it takes, but the fact that there is no status of progress. 

I heard it was 24 months now. Problem is, we may move outside of Hessen and in order to move the file from one province to another it takes months I hear. Especially since the Frankfurt Auslaenderbehoerde is ridiculously slow. 

21 hours ago, ingermany said:

Yes, as mentioned above it seems 18 months is the minimum, especially since we applied for the entire family. 

Regarding nationality, I know only that British citizens were being given priority due to Brexit, and probably for other EU nationals it is quicker since the due diligence is not the same. But not aware of other nationalities.

I heard it is taking even EU nationals about a year to get citizenship now. The British, I think, should not have been given priority. It should have been first come first serve. But hey, it is Germany, where the work done and the documents requested are not standardised and depends on the mood of the beamte. 

On 06/11/2020, 08:05:16, Narjiz said:

I heard it was 24 months now. Problem is, we may move outside of Hessen and in order to move the file from one province to another it takes months I hear. Especially since the Frankfurt Auslaenderbehoerde is ridiculously slow. 

this is true. one of my friends came and left germany after a year, but his file didn't transferred from frankfurt to another behoerde. he kept getting temporary extension and finally it was time to go back. but the transfer never happened, even after multiple calls, emails, etc. 

i hope it's not truly 24 months. that's just ridiculous. can't plan moving jobs in the meantime as you have to notify them and they pause your application until your probezeit is completed. not confirmed but this is what i heard from someone else. 

10 hours ago, ivn490 said:

this is true. one of my friends came and left germany after a year, but his file didn't transferred from frankfurt to another behoerde. he kept getting temporary extension and finally it was time to go back. but the transfer never happened, even after multiple calls, emails, etc. 

i hope it's not truly 24 months. that's just ridiculous. can't plan moving jobs in the meantime as you have to notify them and they pause your application until your probezeit is completed. not confirmed but this is what i heard from someone else. 

The transfer part is concerning. A year is ridiculous. 

On 1/5/2021, 9:17:14, Narjiz said:

Any update @ingermany?

Nope! I did not follow up after the last communication. It is a game of patience! How about you?

16 minutes ago, ingermany said:

Nope! I did not follow up after the last communication. It is a game of patience! How about you?

No clear update on the file specifically and haven't even received confirmation anything was received in Darmstadt. However I found out that EU members (even UK applications up to end of last year) are not affected by COVID delays as documents are easy to verify according to them. Any recent applications from third states will not be processed until May 2021. What "recent" is, is unclear. Also, when they open your file they will ask for updated documents since by the time their lazy asses get to it, your documents will be deemed old. That is all I have. 

31 minutes ago, ivn490 said:

mine is same old. no update at all. my monthly call is always answered like - 'corona!!! be patient'

that's it. 

What do you hope to accomplish by phoning monthly? Either they don't even bother to check your file or they actually waste time looking for the information instead of processing the applications that were submitted before yours. Either way if every applicant is placing a call once a month for a status update, it is no wonder that the backlog keeps increasing.

If you feel compelled to place monthly calls, try contacting the politicians responsible for determining the staffing levels in your EBH.

14 hours ago, ivn490 said:

@ingermany @Narjiz  

anything moving forward? 

mine is same old. no update at all. my monthly call is always answered like - 'corona!!! be patient'

that's it. 

We just emailed once in January to see if things were received since the invoice didn't come and it had already been roughly 8 months (it came early February). Don't want to piss them off and we were already warned from the beginning it may take 2+ years. ًWhat we did do is collect updated documents to be ready in case they asked. We got a letter stating that the file is complete so hopefully things go well. In our case (well not me, just my partner since I haven't been here long enough), he exceeds the requirements. Language is C1, works in a field in high demand (works in German), and has been here more than 8 years, stable income and unbefritete vertrag. That may have something to do with it. 

I didn't know they answered the phone to be honest. 

13 hours ago, engelchen said:

What do you hope to accomplish by phoning monthly? Either they don't even bother to check your file or they actually waste time looking for the information instead of processing the applications that were submitted before yours. Either way if every applicant is placing a call once a month for a status update, it is no wonder that the backlog keeps increasing.

If you feel compelled to place monthly calls, try contacting the politicians responsible for determining the staffing levels in your EBH.

I do know that RP Darmstadt is one of the busiest in Germany plus they handle some of the most complex cases. I chalked the longer wait times to Brexit and the increased "home office". Although I agree, a monthly status update is a bit overkill, especially here. Would be nice if there was some sort of online portal showing status of application. Some day maybe...

On 3/23/2021, 6:23:20, ivn490 said:

@ingermany @Narjiz  

anything moving forward? 

that's it. 

Update: Urkunde was picked up! Complete process took 10 months, which was much shorter than anticipated. Hope things work out for you and good luck.