Has your bank asked you to close your UK bank account due to Brexit?

118 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Do you still have UK rental income? Have you had to change rent receiving bank?

Yes, I still have UK rental income, going into my UK account as always.

I changed nothing.

21 hours ago, HEM said:

I'll sit back & see if they write to me.  It would not be the end of the world.

The problem is when you need to pay for something and the retailer will only accept cards from a UK bank. ASDA is one example. "You must pay for your order using a UK based credit or debit card" (ASDA terms and conditions*) I was placing ASDA orders for my parents last year when they had to self-isolate, needed groceries delivered and didn't have a working computer. I'm quite worried about this, and so disappointed that the UK seems to be increasingly hiving itself off, and punishing UK nationals no longer resident in the UK but still with ties there.

* Edit: above link should read "Terms and conditions of use and sale for the ASDA Groceries Site".

1 hour ago, Lorelei said:

The problem is when you need to pay for something and the retailer will only accept cards from a UK bank. ASDA is one example. "You must pay for your order using a UK based credit or debit card" (ASDA terms and conditions)

Is that when ordering online? Or also in the stores - that would mean holidaymakers / buisness travellers to the UK cannot buy anything.

punishing UK nationals no longer resident in the UK but still with ties there

One certainly can get that impression (those pensioners enjoying spanish weather instead of rain in UK!)

12 minutes ago, HEM said:

Is that when ordering online? Or also in the stores - that would mean holidaymakers / buisness travellers to the UK cannot buy anything.

It's when ordering online. I just titled the link "ASDA terms and conditions", but the page actually says "Terms and conditions of use and sale for the ASDA Groceries Site".

Not sure about the stores, as I have in the past always used my UK card when shopping there.

Have you tried it with a non-UK card but UK address?  Surely if it is VISA or Mastercard they are guaranteed their money and the transaction would be in £ with you taking the exchange rate hit, so why should they care.  I know every firm is different but I have bought stuff on Amazon de for delivery to a German address but paid for with a UK Mastercard or VISA

26 minutes ago, GaryC said:

I know every firm is different but I have bought stuff on Amazon de for delivery to a German address but paid for with a UK Mastercard or VISA

I did that several times when I first arrived. 

My Barclaycard is now dead but they haven't said anything at all about my current account. So I guess that and my UK Visa Debit would still work (at least it would if there were any money in the account).

Also heard from a relative in the EU that her UK Tesco credit card has been cancelled.

Has anyone just altered their address to parent/sibling and got on with it?

We are Barclays, and the website is unclear- on the one hand, EU is not OK, on the other, Germany is not on the list of countries which suck.

I'd rather just get it all via my brother - no tax evasion is intended or possible (is there even interest on which to pay tax any more?) since the German bank knows about our UK account etc. It just means life can go on as normal and I can get a new card because mine runs out soon :o

If we move to Barclays Hamburg, that's not a UK account presumably?

It may not be relevant, but I have a UK SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown and they sent me a letter the other day (to Germany) asking me to verify my address as they've been unable to do so via credit reference agencies in the UK as they're apparently required to do so. So that could be a problem if you think you can simply use someone else's UK address forever.

I think Barclays Germany just do the credit card (they rebranded it from Barclaycard to just Barclays) and loans. 

If my  Barclays was fine many years ago when I moved from UK to Japan, hard to see why Brexit should trouble them with me being now in Germany.

You'd think, but banks are closing accounts, 'tis a thing.

Very annoying.

I think this is related to the fact that the UK declined to remain part of the EU Passporting of Financial Products system as part of the Withdrawal Agreement negotiations.  This means they cannot operate in EU countries without obtaining Financial Regulator accreditation in each and every country in which they choose to operate. While they may do that for commercial operations, I doubt it is seen as cost effective for the few expats who want to keep a UK bank account.  But I may be wrong and there may be a different reason, hmm...  

@Gambatte - you haven't had any issues with Barclays, then?

According to the website  Living or moving outside of the UK | Barclays you can only keep an account whilst living in the EEA if you are a Crown employee or dependant, or only there 6 months. It lists Germany as EEA, but has a list of countries it's closing accounts in, and that does not include Germany. I suppose we just hope that the list doesn't expand...maybe they've done the accreditation thing Gary mentions for Germany.

I still have my UK Barclays current account (with 3 pence in it). It was over a year ago that they changed the T&Cs to say that they might close it, and they stopped my Barclaycard in October last year.

Maybe it's the 3 pence that's keeping it open. 

9 hours ago, kiplette said:

@Gambatte - you haven't had any issues with Barclays, then?

No, I haven't.

In 2000 I told Barclays I "had to" close my account as I was moving to Japan. They told me "actually you don't have to. We'd be happier if you keep it". I kept it. Eventually I returned  to the UK, 2005. And moved to Germany in 2013. Nobody from Barclays ever told me to close the account or anything. And I always gave them my address. UK rental income flowing into my UK Barclays account since 2013 when we left for Germany.

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

Maybe it's the 3 pence that's keeping it open. 

:lol:

I should be good to go, then ;)

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

No, I haven't.

OK, good to know, I'll just bite the bullet and change the address then. 

OK, still faffing about with this. Has anyone managed to get the Barclays app to work with a German mobile?

You can't change address to abroad in Barclays Online, only in the app and on the phone. Phone had 'more than 20 minutes wait' earlier and now 'over an hour' :o

47 minutes ago, kiplette said:

OK, still faffing about with this. Has anyone managed to get the Barclays app to work with a German mobile?

You can't change address to abroad in Barclays Online, only in the app and on the phone. Phone had 'more than 20 minutes wait' earlier and now 'over an hour' :o

I was going to say yes, until I looked at my phone and realised the app wasn't there. I didn't copy the apps when I got a new phone, so that's probably why. If it's a case of your Play store being set to German you can work around that by installing the APK; I've had to do it for a couple of things that were UK only.

When I did have the app there was no way to change the address to abroad. I had to call. 

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

Good point here.

I also came across this, years ago when I moved to DE.

Yes, their app expect your address to be in the UK. Otherwise it just doesn't work.

Possibly also their website.

But you can still do everything and more, just very slightly less practical.

I would inform them by post: save time and stress compared to waiting on the phone.

Reminds me of when I moved back from Japan to the UK.

Everything and everybody asking me my address. No problem. You been there more than 3 months, right? No. What's your previous address then? And at this point providing a non-UK address was crashing every online form.😭😂🤣

I'm happy it's over...