Has your bank asked you to close your UK bank account due to Brexit?

106 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Do you still have UK rental income? Have you had to change rent receiving bank?

Yes, I still have UK rental income, going into my UK account as always.

I changed nothing.

21 hours ago, HEM said:

I'll sit back & see if they write to me.  It would not be the end of the world.

The problem is when you need to pay for something and the retailer will only accept cards from a UK bank. ASDA is one example. "You must pay for your order using a UK based credit or debit card" (ASDA terms and conditions*) I was placing ASDA orders for my parents last year when they had to self-isolate, needed groceries delivered and didn't have a working computer. I'm quite worried about this, and so disappointed that the UK seems to be increasingly hiving itself off, and punishing UK nationals no longer resident in the UK but still with ties there.

* Edit: above link should read "Terms and conditions of use and sale for the ASDA Groceries Site".

1 hour ago, Lorelei said:

The problem is when you need to pay for something and the retailer will only accept cards from a UK bank. ASDA is one example. "You must pay for your order using a UK based credit or debit card" (ASDA terms and conditions)

Is that when ordering online? Or also in the stores - that would mean holidaymakers / buisness travellers to the UK cannot buy anything.

punishing UK nationals no longer resident in the UK but still with ties there

One certainly can get that impression (those pensioners enjoying spanish weather instead of rain in UK!)

12 minutes ago, HEM said:

Is that when ordering online? Or also in the stores - that would mean holidaymakers / buisness travellers to the UK cannot buy anything.

It's when ordering online. I just titled the link "ASDA terms and conditions", but the page actually says "Terms and conditions of use and sale for the ASDA Groceries Site".

Not sure about the stores, as I have in the past always used my UK card when shopping there.

Have you tried it with a non-UK card but UK address?  Surely if it is VISA or Mastercard they are guaranteed their money and the transaction would be in £ with you taking the exchange rate hit, so why should they care.  I know every firm is different but I have bought stuff on Amazon de for delivery to a German address but paid for with a UK Mastercard or VISA

26 minutes ago, GaryC said:

I know every firm is different but I have bought stuff on Amazon de for delivery to a German address but paid for with a UK Mastercard or VISA

I did that several times when I first arrived. 

My Barclaycard is now dead but they haven't said anything at all about my current account. So I guess that and my UK Visa Debit would still work (at least it would if there were any money in the account).

Also heard from a relative in the EU that her UK Tesco credit card has been cancelled.