Has your bank asked you to close your UK bank account due to Brexit?

84 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2020, 08:51:55, kthxcia said:

Hi there,

So, Barclays have sent me an updated Terms and conditions and one of the clauses is that they 'can close the account if the account holder or one of the account holders lives outside of the UK'.

The wording is interesting. It says CAN not WILL.

Does anyone know if they can just close my account without giving me 2 months notice? 

I've just received this one too, and I notice it says these new T&Cs come into effect on 12th April 2021... 

I suspect they will close my account because it has £0.03 in it and no other activity since February 2020. 

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

I've just received this one too, and I notice it says these new T&Cs come into effect on 12th April 2021. 

I suspect they will close my account because it has £0.03 in it and no other activity since February 2020. 

Just switch banks. ;) 

"Just" is a big word when you are not resident. I think we had this discussion already though.

Just now, optimista said:

"Just" is a big word when you are not resident. I think we had this discussion already though.

Yes, but as was stated then, it's some banks that are closing accounts, not all. It's the usual doom and gloom spreaders at work. 

Most people should be fine, either by switching or by giving a UK address.