Has your bank asked you to close your UK bank account due to Brexit?

84 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

There should be no change, unless it's one of the banks that no longer want him as a customer. He can easily register the account under a UK address should this be the case. I'm sure many who are being contacted about possible closures are simply doing that. If not just switch banks. ;)

 

Why? :wacko:

In both cases, not everyone has a UK address. I've been paying for mail forwarding so far, which meant when I got a new credit card a month ago (after some fraudulent activity) it was forwarded to me in Germany. But mail forwarding is expensive (£140 per quarter IIRC). Also for the credit card the registered address can matter.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. The price of redirection is ludicrous. 

Sorry I didn't realise you didn't have a UK address. 

The option of switching banks though to one which still wants your custom remains viable.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an FYI - I spoke to HBOS today and they are pretty clueless. The only confirmed change they have is that customers resident in The Netherlands or Sovakia will be getting their accounts closed. Other than that it is no change  "but circumstances may change".

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far for us it's only Barclaycard, and that's because a 'linked account' has a non-UK address. Which is impossible, because by their own rules, you can't change your address to a non-UK one without actually visiting a branch and doing it in person. Which we haven't done. What we have tried to do is change address multiple times by phone, and that's like climbing Everest barefoot.

 

The buggers. Hey ho, who needs a Barclaycard anyway, awful things.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May not be much help but the Halifax Clarity Mastercard has 0% fees for non-UK-£ spending compared to 3% for Barclaycard, so if Halifax will let you have one of those, now might be the time to tell Barclaycard to xxxxxxxxx.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/10/2020, 21:10:55, kiplette said:

So far for us it's only Barclaycard, and that's because a 'linked account' has a non-UK address. Which is impossible, because by their own rules, you can't change your address to a non-UK one without actually visiting a branch and doing it in person. Which we haven't done. What we have tried to do is change address multiple times by phone, and that's like climbing Everest barefoot.

 

The buggers. Hey ho, who needs a Barclaycard anyway, awful things.

 

Barclays account plus Barclaycard here. I had to "video chat" on the phone app to get them to change the address. The lady I spoke to didn't know, but said I probably wouldn't be able to keep the Barclaycard, and I should wait for a letter. It's possible they've already sent me a letter as she managed to input my address wrong, as did the second person. 

 

Wierdly she also told me that although the phone app will continue to work on this phone, I won't be able to use it ever on another phone. I don't understand why that would be.

 

I mentioned my Father gets a UK pension into a UK account registered in France, but he's with Santandar and that seems to be okay.

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is because the App Store can limit access to apps on a country-by-country basis.  E.g. the comdirect App works on my phone but I cannot download the latest version as is it "not available in your country".  Today, while in D, I tried to load the OBI App and got the same message. 

 

I don't think this is a Brexit issue per se, as the comdirect forum has people all over the world complaining about lack of access.  Quite why this is happening is a mystery to me.  The banking Apps only work if you have an account, so if you can have an account in country X, why would you not be able to load the in, or by reference to, that country - or at the very latest when you are in D and then try to load the app.  All very frustrating and annoying.

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GaryC said:

I think this is because the App Store can limit access to apps on a country-by-country basis.  E.g. the comdirect App works on my phone but I cannot download the latest version as is it "not available in your country".

You can change the country though. I had to do this to install an app. We live on the border and I have apps from two countries. Though this was the first time I had to switch countries to download an app. I then switched the country back again. Huge faff, but got the app installed and working.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

You can change the country though. I had to do this to install an app. We live on the border and I have apps from two countries. Though this was the first time I had to switch countries to download an app. I then switched the country back again. Huge faff, but got the app installed and working.

But doesn't that mean you are stuck for 12 months with the other country or something, or can you switch straight back? (Android)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GaryC said:

But doesn't that mean you are stuck for 12 months with the other country or something, or can you switch straight back? (Android)

 

A warning message came up to that effect (can't remember if it said 6 or 12 months now), but it didn't prevent me from switching back once I'd got the app installed. So not really sure if it is a rule that is actually implemented. It's a bit silly really, as people genuinely need apps from more than one country. 

It would be quite reasonable for people from Liechtenstein to need apps from 4 countries. It must be awful for them. :lol:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lunaCH said:

A warning message came up to that effect (can't remember if it said 6 or 12 months now), but it didn't prevent me from switching back once I'd got the app installed. So not really sure if it is a rule that is actually implemented. It's a bit silly really, as people genuinely need apps from more than 1 country.

 

Might have a go on my wife's account - lol

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

So, Barclays have sent me an updated Terms and conditions and one of the clauses is that they 'can close the account if the account holder or one of the account holders lives outside of the UK'.

 

The wording is interesting. It says CAN not WILL.

 

Does anyone know if they can just close my account without giving me 2 months notice? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kthxcia said:

Does anyone know if they can just close my account without giving me 2 months notice? 

Do the terms and conditions themselves not mention a notice period? 

Can you perhaps domicile the account at a UK address to avoid the (risk of) closure entirely?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Do the terms and conditions themselves not mention a notice period? 

Can yo domicile the account at a UK address to avoid the (risk of) closure entirely?

 

Yeah, probably they do ... somewhere. I imagine the T & C are online somewhere. I should dig 'em up.

 

I guess I could give a UK address, but it would be inaccurate to class myself as a UK resident.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kthxcia said:

I guess I could give a UK address, but it would be inaccurate to class myself as a UK resident.

I'd say there are tens if not hundred of thousands of accounts domiciled in the UK with the holder being resident elsewhere though. I don't see that as a major issue, unless you're moving around millions and have huge tax implications. 

Many leave the UK for a few years and some never return. They simply don't update the address and a relative deals with any post from the UK end. Nowadays statements are email or online - as is access to the account. Post should be limited to pin numbers, new cards, offers and advertising - mainly for things you don't need. :) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

I'd say there are tens if not hundred of thousands of accounts domiciled in the UK with the holder being resident elsewhere though. I don't see that as a major issue, unless you're moving around millions and have huge tax implications. 

Many leave the UK for a few years and some never return. They simply don't update the address and a relative deals with any post from the UK end. Nowadays statements are email or online - as is access to the account. Post should be limited to pin numbers, new cards, offers and advertising - mainly for things you don't need. :) 

Thank you

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2020, 18:41:36, GaryC said:

I think this is because the App Store can limit access to apps on a country-by-country basis.  E.g. the comdirect App works on my phone but I cannot download the latest version as is it "not available in your country".  Today, while in D, I tried to load the OBI App and got the same message. 

 

Create a second account with another email and set your country to the country you want, then log in to your app store. I have a "Canadian" account and "German" account and switch between when necessary, and have do so for 8ish years. My devices don't care which flag icon appears, they download anyway. This works in the Apple universe anyway.

 

This is due to copyright or liability regulations. To upload apps into the Android or Apple universe platforms, they have to promise to play by the right rules. I doubt the developers much care, it's a lawyerly thing about liability, etc. Apple also bans whatever the Chinese government tells them to ban. 

 

On 23/09/2020, 08:37:42, lunaCH said:

The article though completely exaggerates the situation saying that it will become illegal for the banks to offer the accounts. That's wrong and I don't see how Brexit changes anything. There are around 65'000 British expats in Switzerland (also non-EU) and many of them will have UK bank accounts registered with Swiss addresses, I personally know a few. ;)

 

Switzerland isn't the EU innit.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Neither is the UK. :)

 

Difference being Switzerland has deals they've made in cooperation with the EU, unlike the UK cutting off its nose to spite its face. Does the UK have banking agreements with the EU? Nope, they ripped those up.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alderhill said:

Difference being Switzerland has deals they've made in cooperation with the EU, unlike the UK cutting off its nose to spite its face. Does the UK have banking agreements with the EU? Nope, they ripped those up.

Possibly because those agreements were linked to something unacceptable. This is precisely why Switzerland has never joined. The conditions are unacceptable and the bilateral route is preferable. The UK has realised this finally and needs to do the same thing now that they are finally out. :rolleyes:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now