Telc B1 exam experience(Horrible)

38 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, AlexCLE said:

In my B1 exam I had a partner that was also taking the test. We had to discuss planning a barbecue between each other. Then I had to explain to the interviewers what I saw in a picture of kids in a school. It was fairly relaxed and I had the feeling they were looking for me to make myself understood, even if I butchered the grammar, and to understand their questions. 

Exactly!  I'm involved in writing and editing the telc English exams and I can tell you that the testers are not really interested in the answers to their questions.  The tester's job is to see if you can communicate at a B1/B2 or whatever level, so going off on a tangent is never a problem. You just need to show them that you have understood the question and that you can make yourself understood when speaking. 

I was an oral examiner and a written rater for telc. Long story short is that 85% of people will pass the oral exam because this is the least standardized standardized test I have ever encountered in educational testing and measurement. The testers may not be interested in the answers in the oral exam, but make sure your roommate hits all the relevant points in the written exam.

Do not expect good customer service. They really just do not GAF. Please make sure your friend holds their testing center responsible for performance and not telc. Doing that would only end in disappointment.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.telc.net?languages=all

https://www.facebook.com/telcLanguageTests/reviews

https://www.google.com/maps/place/telc+gGmbH/@49.1431519,6.6583801,6z/data=!3m1!5s0x47bd0ebb17b57e53:0x5af7711a035410ca!4m11!1m2!2m1!1stelc+reviews!3m7!1s0x47bd0ebb140113bd:0xec58d6e9fa91b204!8m2!3d50.1177069!4d8.6875478!9m1!1b1!15sCgx0ZWxjIHJldmlld3MiAjgBkgEWYWR1bHRfZWR1Y2F0aW9uX3NjaG9vbA

4 minutes ago, Tap said:

I've looked at the two links above and most of the complaints are about the time it takes to get the results, not the actual test. I've no idea why it takes so long as I'm not involved in that side of it.

There are a lot of complaints about inconsistent rating of the written exam, but the predominant problem is the utter failure of customer service. On that item, let us be completely honest and say that the people involved do not give a good gotdam about caring for the process.

2 hours ago, AlexCLE said:

In my B1 exam I had a partner that was also taking the test. We had to discuss planning a barbecue between each other. Then I had to explain to the interviewers what I saw in a picture of kids in a school. It was fairly relaxed and I had the feeling they were looking for me to make myself understood, even if I butchered the grammar, and to understand their questions. 

When my mate took the B1 exam, he also had a partner discussion. The trouble was for some reason his partner has assumed they would be talking about holidays and had learned lots of vocabulary and set phrases about holidays. They got asked to speak about arranging a leaving do for a work colleague but his partner was determined to use the German he had spent so long learning...

"We have to organise a leaving party for John"

"When?"

"Next Thursday."

"I will be on holiday then. I will fly to Lanzarote on a plane and I will sit on the beach on my beach towel and look at the sea and waves and seagulls and sunbathers and..."

"Okay... maybe you can help before you leave. Perhaps you could ask the bakery to make a leaving cake?"

"I will eat lots of good food on my holiday. Lots of seafood. Mussels, crabs, fish, lobster, yellow fish, clams, oysters, red fish, ..."

"Okay...okay... Maybe we should organise a present. What does John like?"

"Everybody likes holidays. We can buy him a holiday. He can relax on a holiday and enjoy the sunshine and the views from his hotel window and the mountains and the beach and the sand and the sea and..."

Etc., etc.

4 hours ago, clickety6 said:

When my mate took the B1 exam, he also had a partner discussion. The trouble was for some reason his partner has assumed they would be talking about holidays and had learned lots of vocabulary and set phrases about holidays. They got asked to speak about arranging a leaving do for a work colleague but his partner was determined to use the German he had spent so long learning...

"We have to organise a leaving party for John"

"When?"

"Next Thursday."

"I will be on holiday then. I will fly to Lanzarote on a plane and I will sit on the beach on my beach towel and look at the sea and waves and seagulls and sunbathers and..."

"Okay... maybe you can help before you leave. Perhaps you could ask the bakery to make a leaving cake?"

"I will eat lots of good food on my holiday. Lots of seafood. Mussels, crabs, fish, lobster, yellow fish, clams, oysters, red fish, ..."

"Okay...okay... Maybe we should organise a present. What does John like?"

"Everybody likes holidays. We can buy him a holiday. He can relax on a holiday and enjoy the sunshine and the views from his hotel window and the mountains and the beach and the sand and the sea and..."

Etc., etc.

But did he pass?

4 hours ago, clickety6 said:

his partner was determined to use the German he had spent so long learning...

Brilliant :lol:

I learned a beautiful paragraph about a landscape for my French O level (last year of O levels before GCSE kicked in :))

This did not come up, but I squidged it in, looking out of an aeroplane at the scene below, if I remember rightly.

Most disconcerting for your mate in a speaking test, although props to the other dude for making it work....presumably they both passed OK?

The spoken part is actually the easiest part of the test, it is just nerves that can get in the way. Anyone who has completed a full b1 course has had much more in-depth conversations in real life or in the classroom. Working with a partner complicates matters for me personally too. 

The written part (letter) is quite simple, just simply answer the questions simply with a few filler phrases and words. Almost half the points needed come from a correct greeting and closing of the letter.

Listening is hit or miss depending on the quality of the micro cd player and the size of the room. If you actually hear clearly it is not hard.

Reading/compression is easy. Just take your time, there is more than enough time not to rush and read carefully.

I got something like 98% which did involve a daily class for 3-4 months but with no extra study and the avoidance of trying not to speak German in normal life...

I think I can speak at B1, or at least communicate, which isn't quite the same thing.  I can read a bit and get most of the meaning of a text if it isn't too complex, I could probably write an email but I'll get the articles and adjective endings wrong.   Listening comprehension is much harder for me, and recordings are almost impossible.  I'll never pass B1.  
I wonder if I could get someone to speak the B1 listening thing instead of having a recording.  That would help tremendously.

Susan McC

On the listening exam, I trust they don't select native Austrian or Ober/Niederbayern speakers. 

On the written exam, is it important to get the der, die, das and grammatical endings correct? 

On 17/07/2022, 00:18:43, alexunterwegs said:

On the listening exam, I trust they don't select native Austrian or Ober/Niederbayern speakers. 

I heard it's Schwäbisch, so you should be okay.

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

I heard it's Schwäbisch, so you should be okay.

Yes, I forgot to mention Schwabisch. Full marks for irony :D 

On 7/17/2022, 12:18:43, alexunterwegs said:

On the written exam, is it important to get the der, die, das and grammatical endings correct?

The more, the merrier,

I would say.

I got my B1 and certainly didn't get all endings correct. But you can help yourself by writing in dative and plural. Always n/n/n

B)

5 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

But you can help yourself by writing in dative and plural. Always n/n/n

B)

Exception: the strong adjective declension 😉, e.g. "Er mag schön*e* Frauen", "mit gut*em* Wein" ...

I have to say though I'm really glad that, as a native speaker, I never had to memorise those declension tables. They look like a nightmare! 🤯 As Mark Twain wrote: "I would rather decline two drinks than one German adjective."