Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Telc B1 exam experience(Horrible)

13 posts in this topic

Dear Altruists, I had my Telc B1 exam today and I am just extremely frustrated. I did 8 model tests before and got pretty good point in listening, reading and writing. But today I found the listening is extremely difficult. I asked other examinee and they have almost the same experience in this part. This part to me seems like just from another world. I guess I did good in writing and reading. Did you have the similar experience in this section?

I want to ask your opinion about speaking part which was a pretty bad experience for me too. There were 3 parts. The first introductory part was very good for me. In the next part I have to speak about something which I really did not understand at all. I did not know the meaning of 'Verwandtschaft'. Therefore spoke gibberish. The examiner understood and asked me a question on it. Then I remember it immediately and gave her the correct answer. I made her convinced that I understood what she asked. With such bad experience in one part out of 3 in Speaking, will I fail? How lenient  are the examiners in TELC? Please advise if you have some idea. I am asking the questions because I don't know if I have to register for the exam again!

Also I want to ask that if I write a letter correctly in 100-110 words does it seem so short for TELC B1. Thank you everyone in advance for your kind opinions.

They seemed to be quite easy-going when I took my test - especially the speaking part - they actually asked me to stop talking because I had done far too much for them!

If you could convince the lady that you had understood and knew what you were talking about, then I don´t think it will be a problem. They are used to hearing "gibberish" - happens all the time in such tests, partly due to nerves and partly due to not having a clue...

As for the letter-writing part, it is not so important how much you write, but what you write, and how correct, and to-the-point it is. If you got everything across that you needed to, and in relatively good German, then it shouldn´t be a problem either!

I think you should congratulate yourself for having the courage to take the test, and settle down for the evening with a nice glass of wine or whatever your poison is.

Don´t be too hard on yourself!

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

Don´t be too hard on yourself!

Thanks a lot for the nice words. I should be easy going. it's just an exam and I can take it again.

It sounds to me like you did just fine.  The testers are there to see if you can speak, and that's what you did. The people who freeze up completely and can't talk any more have a bigger problem.  Maybe you misunderstood the question, but that happens, as long as you kept talking and made sense, that's fine.

Also, don't worry about the length of the text you wrote, as Robinson said in her post, it's what you write that's important and not the length. 

Come back and let us know how you did, we'd be interested to know

I am sure you did just fine  - I remember from my Telc exam experience as well- I found it difficult to hear the recording due to acoustics in the examination hall. The verbal part of the test was with fine as long as one continues the conversation and does not stop completely. In the written part they had scores for writing the address , date and greetings at the right place in the letter - in the end the scores I received were certainly generous. All the best !

15 hours ago, ahammed said:

But today I found the listening is extremely difficult. I asked other examinee and they have almost the same experience in this part. This part to me seems like just from another world.

Perhaps the wrong tape was used:"Bavarian for beginners." 👻.

51 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Perhaps the wrong tape was used:"Bavarian for beginners." 👻.

Hahaha, dont know. But it was just too difficult to get the theme.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I remember last year I was convinced I failed after leaving the exam only to find after 6 weeks that I actually did pretty well on it. You took the plunge and did the exam. That in itself is progress. I hope you did well!

Be consoled. I am trying to acquire French nationality and so did the exam in French. At one point or another in my life I have spoken 6 different languages. I know how languages work. I have a university degree in three of them. I (used to :lol:) absorb langugages like a sponge. I have been operating in French for 3/4 of my life and have lived in France over a decade. I would say I am 10% short of native speaker level. Even so, I found the exam almost humiliating. Yes, it is horrible.

They are not testing only language. It is as much a test of level of education, memory, intelligence, powers of deduction, ability to reason in a foreign language - and all that under pressure. You have to listen, read the possible answers and deduce the right one from implicit indicators simultaneously. The answer is not there in black and white. And the speed they operate is not leisurely. The acoustic quality in some of the excerpts left a lot to be desired. Cough. Seems like the aim is to trip you up. For the oral I was so pissed off with the  request to do a four minute monologue on a subject matter that required a 3 word answer, I literally found myself taking the piss. You definitely get scores for CONTENT. I got 13/20 which is equivalent to B2. Well, I can categorically state that at least half the natives I know would not stand a chance of getting much better. That result just made me scoff. Eurocrats have invented hurdles and loops for us to jump through. Yeah, they have to measure us somehow. And sort the wheat from the chaff. Which is why it feels so humiliating.

For B1 you are expected to demonstrate (that's the hard bit - exam technique required) understanding of the essentials of common and familiar subject matter in ordinary social, professional and daily situations. I hope you passed.

47 minutes ago, Narjiz said:

Don't be too hard on yourself. I remember last year I was convinced I failed after leaving the exam only to find after 6 weeks that I actually did pretty well on it. You took the plunge and did the exam. That in itself is progress. I hope you did well!

Thanks a lot. I hope the examiners are kind in the speaking part. I wish I dont get failed

26 minutes ago, optimista said:

Be consoled. I am trying to acquire French nationality and so did the exam in French. At one point or another in my life I have spoken 6 different languages. I know how languages work. I have a university degree in three of them. I (used to :lol:) absorb langugages like a sponge. I have been operating in French for 3/4 of my life and have lived in France over a decade. I would say I am 10% short of native speaker level. Even so, I found the exam almost humiliating. Yes, it is horrible.

They are not testing only language. It is as much a test of level of education, memory, intelligence, powers of deduction, ability to reason in a foreign language - and all that under pressure. You have to listen, read the possible answers and deduce the right one from implicit indicators simultaneously. The answer is not there in black and white. And the speed they operate is not leisurely. The acoustic quality in some of the excerpts left a lot to be desired. Cough. Seems like the aim is to trip you up. For the oral I was so pissed off with the  request to do a four minute monologue on a subject matter that required a 3 word answer, I literally found myself taking the piss. You definitely get scores for CONTENT. I got 13/20 which is equivalent to B2. Well, I can categorically state that at least half the natives I know would not stand a chance of getting much better. That result just made me scoff. Eurocrats have invented hurdles and loops for us to jump through. Yeah, they have to measure us somehow. And sort the wheat from the chaff. Which is why it feels so humiliating.

For B1 you are expected to demonstrate (that's the hard bit - exam technique required) understanding of the essentials of common and familiar subject matter in ordinary social, professional and daily situations. I hope you passed.

Thanks a lot for the precise idea. People yesterday seems to be angry on Audio part and it was definitely not only the language.

3 hours ago, Tap said:

It sounds to me like you did just fine.  The testers are there to see if you can speak, and that's what you did. The people who freeze up completely and can't talk any more have a bigger problem.  Maybe you misunderstood the question, but that happens, as long as you kept talking and made sense, that's fine.

Also, don't worry about the length of the text you wrote, as Robinson said in her post, it's what you write that's important and not the length. 

Come back and let us know how you did, we'd be interested to know

@Tap thanks a lot for the nice words. I will definitely post again after getting the result.

11 hours ago, zephyr said:

I am sure you did just fine  - I remember from my Telc exam experience as well- I found it difficult to hear the recording due to acoustics in the examination hall. The verbal part of the test was with fine as long as one continues the conversation and does not stop completely. In the written part they had scores for writing the address , date and greetings at the right place in the letter - in the end the scores I received were certainly generous. All the best !

@zephyr, Thanks a lot. I hope to get PASSED!