Can a landlord give apt only to German speaking people

46 posts in this topic

Was wondering if this is discriminatory for a landlord to say:

"Mieterin haben möchte, mit der ich auf Deutsch kommunizieren kann und die Mieterin ein festes Gehalt vorweisen muss {bzw, einen Bürgen bei Studenten). Außerdem strebe ich eine langfristige Vermietung'an."

16 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Was wondering if this is discriminatory for a landlord to say:

"Mieterin haben möchte, mit der ich auf Deutsch kommunizieren kann und die Mieterin ein festes Gehalt vorweisen muss {bzw, einen Bürgen bei Studenten). Außerdem strebe ich eine langfristige Vermietung'an."

Why would it be? He'll obviously only consider Mieter he can communicate with, as in any other business partnership, and he's not forced to learn english for your sake: i.e. in my case they'd need to be able to talk either German, English or Portuguese. If not they can look somewhere else. It would be discriminatory had he said only pure blooded Germans allowed in my rental properties, or something like that.

That is perfectly fine.

I just want to know the legal standing on this.

Because this is used as an argument by many these days for soft racism. I do not want to be too sensitive about it but ..

4 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

That is perfectly fine.

Because this is used as an argument by many these days for soft racism. I do not want to be too sensitive about it but ..

Would you be eager to enter a prolonged, binding business partnership with someone you can't communicate with?  The last time I put a place for rent I got an email written in Arabic.. Guess who didn't get the place.

3 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

That is perfectly fine.

It's not racism - it's discrimination.   But it is completely legal discrimination.

1 hour ago, mtbiking said:

Would you be eager to enter a prolonged, binding business partnership with someone you can't communicate with?  The last time I put a place for rent I got an email written in Arabic.. Guess who didn't get the place.

There is a differnce between English and Arabic? 

I agree with your larger point though

2 hours ago, kapil354 said:

What's the difference if you do not speak the language?   You could come with some silly arguments that English is lingua franca, but if I didn't speak English I couldn't care less.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

What's the difference if you do not speak the language?   You could come with some silly arguments that English is lingua franca, but if I didn't speak English I couldn't care less.

And there's a huge number of Germans who do not speak any English.  Per surveys done a few years back, 56% of the population of Germany say they speak English to some degree, but for 99% of the English-speaking population, it is a second language.   This means, of course, that 44% of the people living in Germany (at least 35 Million people) say they cannot speak English at all.  My experience here is that the vast majority of German speakers do not want to deal with contracts or contract negotiations in English, even if they consider themselves reasonably proficient.

So yeah, I completely understand that a German-speaking landlord would choose to discriminate against potential renters who are unable to deal with contractual matters in German.

No only contractual (signing a contract is easy, I signed my first ones here without understanding a word 🤨) ,  when dealing with problems or emergencies it is critical to understand each other. And wait long enough there will be some.  

AFAIK, the only way for language requirement to be discrimination would be if you were working on a company, with no knowledge of German, and they suddenly demanded that you spoke German, although nothing was stated in your contract.

On 11/09/2020, 09:04:36, kapil354 said:

Was wondering if this is discriminatory...

Surely (s)he was just stating the obvious. The victim card is getting real tatty real quick these days.

On 9/11/2020, 3:03:46, Space Cowboy said:

So yeah, I completely understand that a German-speaking landlord would choose to discriminate against potential renters who are unable to deal with contractual matters in German.

And while not exactly because of the language, there is another related thing about why sometimes landlords do not like foreigners, because they think foreigners do not do things in the way it should be done in Germany.    I do not want to discuss if airing the rooms a couple of times a day has to be done in order to stop mould, but the point is a German landlord would expect you to do it.   But then comes the foreigner who would argue with the landlord about it, if the foreigner has the reason or not it does not matter, the point is now in the mind of the landlord, foreigners can't follow basic rules/procedures which are "common knowledge" here and refuse to be taught.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

And while not exactly because of the language, there is another related thing about why sometimes landlords do not like foreigners, because they think foreigners do not do things in the way it should be done in Germany.    I do not want to discuss if airing the rooms a couple of times a day has to be done in order to stop mould, but the point is a German landlord would expect you to do it.   But then comes the foreigner who would argue with the landlord about it, if the foreigner has the reason or not it does not matter, the point is now in the mind of the landlord, foreigners can't follow basic rules/procedures which are "common knowledge" here and refuse to be taught.

Sounds bit preachy and off the topic.

On 9/11/2020, 9:30:54, mtbiking said:

I agree with your larger point though

2 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Making my point.  I am not even preaching or advocating for anything.

4 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Ofcourse you are right sir.

4 minutes ago, Krieg said:

43 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Not at all. Another example is our Turkish tenant who puts his refuse simply next to the bins when they are full (even though his contract clearly stipulates that he has to dispose of his business-related waste separately). Or that he turns up the volume of his music to such a level that our property manager has to deal with other tenant´s complaints.

I remember a few stories with Portuguese abroad, that made the landlords pissed:

• A friend living in Belgium. Water was included in Kaltmiete. Landlady called saying she would come with a plumber, because the water consumption was very high, so something must be leaking. She asked my friend if there were any out of normal water consumption, like watering plants. My friend replied: "nothing special, only one bath per day". The landlady: "ONE BATH PER DAY? ARE YOU CRAZY???"
  • A few friends working at CERN in Switzerland. They had no idea that they had to clean the snow. At some point the whole house was covered with snow, including part of the roof. They were leaving the house daily through a 1st floor window! One neighbor called the landlord, who was really pissed.
  • My personal case: no idea I had to daily air out the apartment during winter.

4 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

At some point the whole house was covered with snow, including part of the roof. They were leaving the house daily through a 1st floor window!

Sounds fun, were they jumping into the snow? :)

15 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Sounds fun, were they jumping into the snow? :)

Sliding. Have no idea on the details, but I guess it was hardened by then and they gave up cleaning the entrance.

No idea, never had more than 50cm of snow in Munich.