Online library for English books

14 posts in this topic

I am looking for an online library that would allow me to register from Germany, and lend me English e-books. Happy to pay for a membership and buy appropriate device. We already have Onleihe for german books via our local library (and Tolinos) but that is mostly German and I want an English library (our library does have a small section of English books). Amazon's prime books to borrow (at least the lists I see) are German, and in anycase very strangely sorted/not what I want to read/maybe I'm using it wrong?. Any suggestions? Ideally a fabulously stocked library with many interesting English books, everything and anything I can think of, available to download on my device. I guess that is buying books on Amazon? But surely libraries have evolved by now - does anyone have any experiences with this?

Have you tried amazon with .co.uk at the end? They will have books in English.  I have the opposit problem with loads of mine and inherited books in English to sell :D

8 minutes ago, SusieT said:

will check theses out as they may be better for some of them 

Amazon used to take stuff but the scheme was halted a couple of years ago.

The advantage of these two which I gave you is they are in Germany and the postage to send parcels to them is free from a certain amount upwards, I think €10. Occasionally a bonus code is given for an extra bit of cash. It's a good way to clear out the clutter, gets rid of cardboard boxes and packing material at the same time as well as earning some extra money. They don't pay out much for a lot of items, but we had quite a few unusual titles and some out of print items which made quite a bit. I check which site pays the higher amount before finalising the transaction. 

Anything neither site takes goes to the local second hand shop, library or book-crossing shelves. :)

@ZA1234  Have a look at the DAZ Library - they have a library on-site here in Stuttgart, but the membership fee also allows you access to the eBooks USA platform.

I found this option when I was looking for an alternative myself, but didn't go further with it because I gained access to my hometown library's ebooks through my mum's library card, and I use the NetGalley platform to gain access to ARCs. The second is a mixed bag, but I have read some great titles that way I wouldn't otherwise heard about. You do need to commit to write a review though, with NetGalley.

I supplement with ordering books from medimops.de (the re-sell wing of the momox.de site mentioned above), and also go by the Oxfam used bookshop here in Stuttgart from time to time. I used to also frequent the Anglican Church booksale, but have stopped my involvement there because I refuse to support the intolerant attitudes of the current vicar.

I don't have Amazon Prime, so can't comment on that - but surely you should be able to access English-languages titles in spite of being registered in Germany.

Also worth taking a look at Open Library which has a lot of ebooks for loan (mostly scans of physical books), and Project Guttenburg which has a huge number of books that are no-longer subject to copyright in the US available in various ebook formats.
Note that Project Guttenburg is blocked in Germany so you will need to access with a VPN.

Thank you all for your tips, I digest the suggestions - so far  @SusieT yes, i had had my Amazon set to DE, which I now changed to .com for media (then went around in circles with co.uk), and the titles look better. At least I can see the Unlimited books now. @the.frolleinThe DAZ option might be just the thing I am looking for! 

UPDATE: 

EbooksUSA library is a great site, it gives me a "browsing in a library" feeling and is easy to use and see the books.  I got in touch with DAZ in Stuttgart about joining the EbooksUSA library. They gave two more possibilities, which I am sharing here if anyone may be interested in joining:

"If you are primarily interested to get access to the EbooksUSA library, our collegues in Tübingen (https://www.dai-tuebingen.de/en/library.html) or Freiburg (http://www.carl-schurz-haus.de/en/library/overview.html) offer this service with the regular library membership. We only offer access to EbooksUSA with our full membership, not just with the library memebership. You will find information on the prices and opportunities that come with a membership in the link below:

https://daz.org/en/about-us/membership-involvement/".

I use Cleveland public library (CCPL), which has one of the largest collections.  You can probably get a card # online.

https://www.globalgreyebooks.com/index.html

I always like to read old books. I always say that the 19th century is the best century for books. Anyway, since Project Gutenberg is currently blocked in Germany, I've found another source in the UK. See the link above. I download them to my Kindle.

Oh, and as they are all out of copyright, they're free. 

Even Amazon has free out-of-copyright books.

So an update to my update: I got a Kindle paperwhite. I signed up for the EbooksUSA library via the DAI Tübingen which costs 6€ per year for ebooks only. Do not need to live in the town. The app and website to choose the books is easy to use https://ebooksusa.overdrive.com.  You can borrow Kindle versions from the libray and have them sent directly to the Kindle. The Kindle syncs and the books are there.

My only other experience of ereaders is from my kids, who have Tolinos and borrow German books from our local library, which doesnt support kindle, and which requires them to borow the books from the ereader itself, which means they only see the black and white versions of the covers. And its slow. I am very happy with mine, and I feel freedom to read again - as much or as little as I want.

I've had a Tolino for the last several years. I get books from everywhere and it is not slow. I usually buy books from kobo.com. I can still get dead author books for free from Gutenberg with my VPN.