Lost key to bike lock - how do I liberate it?

26 posts in this topic

Dear all

 

I lost the keys to my cycicle and i dont have the receipt for the purchase

 

Now i need some bolt cutters to cut the chain

 

Should i call the police before i cut the chain or there is no risk ?

 

What happens if the police asks me what i am doing and i dont have the original receipt ?

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no, just go get your bike.  If anyone asks you about it, tell em it's your bike.

 

If they really care, they'll call the cops, who won't do anything about it except make a note of it.

 

I forgot my key once and had to carry my bike home.  To an outside observer I could have been walking through the streets with a stolen bike; in any case I was absconding with a bike with a lock still on it.  No one batted an eye (OK, a little, but no one said anything).  And it was a long walk.

 

I don't think it's up to anyone to prove the bike is yours unless someone else can prove it is theirs.  You don't have a receipt for the purchase but neither does anybody else!

 

I'm not a cop or a lawyer.  I don't actually know what I'm talking about.  But I think you won't have a big problem.  I also think the police will not be pleased to receive your call and asked to assist or escort you while you steal your own bike.  Just do it and don't waste government resources asking the cops' permission to get your own property! 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

no, just go get your bike.  If anyone asks you about it, tell em it's your bike.

 

If they really care, they'll call the cops, who won't do anything about it except make a note of it.

 

I forgot my key once and had to carry my bike home.  To an outside observer I could have been walking through the streets with a stolen bike; in any case I was absconding with a bike with a lock still on it. No one batted an eye (OK, a little, but no one said anything).  And it was a long walk.

 

I don't think it's up to anyone to prove the bike is yours unless someone else can prove it is theirs.  You don't have a receipt for the purchase but neither does anybody else!

 

I'm not a cop or a lawyer.  I don't actually know what I'm talking about.  But I think you won't have a big problem.  I also think the police will not be pleased to receive your call and asked to assist or escort you while you steal your own bike.  Just do it and don't waste government resources asking the cops' permission to get your own property! 

 

Ok

If my next reply will be from prison i will blame it on you :)

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Write an A4 page and hang it from your neck "Yes, it is my bike"

Even better - get it tattooed on your forehead! You'll have no ragerts!

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Write an A4 page and hang it from your neck "Yes, it is my bike"

No, write in on a sheet of US Letter. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TraceKira said:

Now i need some bolt cutters to cut the chain

 

 

Um.. not quite.

Go buy an portable dremel - something like this - https://www.lidl.de/de/parkside-akku-feinbohrschleifer/p311023?mktc=shopping_shop&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7vX7-eDW6wIViK3tCh01tQJUEAQYBCABEgIYr_D_BwE

You can cut the chain or what you've got on your bike, will take a while but is cheaper that a good bolt cutter.

Don't forget to wear glasses.

 

You can cut any metal with it, just be careful when you use it

parkside-akku-feinbohrschleifer-2.jpg

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

You don't have a receipt for the purchase but neither does anybody else!

Actually, I keep receipts of anything expensive or where there is a guarantee involved like a water cooker of €20. It is also useful for insurance purpose.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have used a 22 euro bolt cutter . When i was cutting i heard someone said in the back "Ruf die Polizei!"  I didn't stayed long and hoped on my bicycle and left quickly LOL

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Actually, I keep receipts of anything expensive or where there is a guarantee involved like a water cooker of €20. It is also useful for insurance purpose.

 

so do I, but unless the OP's bike is stolen in the first place, no one is going to come looking for it, receipt in hand.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slammer said:

Depending on what kind of lock it is they can be opened quite easily without a key.

Is the Force also strong in your family?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Is the Force also strong in your family?

As I said, depends on the lock. A combination type lock for instance is opened by pulling on both sides and turning the bezels one by one starting from the back one until you feel it jar into place. The kind with the U-bar can be opened with a shim made from the lid of a drink can. Then you get the ones that are mounted on the bikes frame, you can get them off with a pair of pliers. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, liberating bike locks. Kind of makes me think of chastity belts. Must be Freudian. Or something.

 

Maybe this should go in the English Teachers' Corner.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Actually, I keep receipts of anything expensive or where there is a guarantee involved like a water cooker of €20. It is also useful for insurance purpose.

 

I do as well. I put the receipt inside the original packaging, then I put it in our attic.   Then some weeks later my wife will throw everything.   That's why I normally apply for guarantee of broken items only when they were bought from Amazon.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what type of lock? Does it use a normal key or is it circle shaped like a U lock? You can buy tubular lockpicks on amazon for cheap and they are super easy to use.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now