Obligation to attend Integration course

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

My wife has recently joined me in germany and she has the Bescheinigung to attend Integrationskurs. But unfortunately the next courses are starting atleast a few months later. My question is, since she has received the Bescheinigung, is it an obligation for her to attend an integrationskurs? Or is it fine if she decides to attend any other German class?

We don’t receive any money from the state (Arbeitslosengeld) and I am a fulltime employee.

Thanks and regards

44 minutes ago, Asiddiqui said:

My question is, since she has received the Bescheinigung, is it an obligation for her to attend an integrationskurs? Or is it fine if she decides to attend any other German class? 

The Bescheinigung is only valid for the authorised integration course provider. You are however free to choose the course if there are multiple authorised provider in the city. The course is an intensive one, whose cost is subsidised. On successfully completing the course, you can claim back the 50% of the cost.  You are free to choose any other german class but then you need to pay full cost from yourself, Bescheinigung will not work. 

The Bescheinigung we have is pretty flexible but somehow we will end up waiting for a few months before any course starts. Therefore we will go for a separate german course. And maybe join the integrationkurs from B1, since it always starts with Einstufungstest.

Thanks for the quick response. I was a bit worried since in the letter it says that it is an obligation and if she fails to attend it may create issues in her resident permit.

Best regards

9 hours ago, Asiddiqui said:

The Bescheinigung we have is pretty flexible but somehow we will end up waiting for a few months before any course starts. Therefore we will go for a separate german course. And maybe join the integrationkurs from B1, since it always starts with Einstufungstest.

Thanks for the quick response. I was a bit worried since in the letter it says that it is an obligation and if she fails to attend it may create issues in her resident permit.

Best regards

It's been a few years since I went through all this but the more expensive a course is, the sooner you will get a place. I'm guessing any kind of course paid for b the state will most lkly only be the cheaper ones.

With regards to the german course, if it is to be used towards any kind of citizenship goal, it has to be one deemed suitable. As I say, it's been a few years since I went through it, but any old B1 from a private language school won't count. Maybe other members can remember/know the exact criteria a course needs to meet.

VHS and Goethe institute offer these B1 courses/tests though. Goethe you will have to wait maybe 4 weeks for the test, VHS longer (as they are cheaper). 

17 hours ago, Asiddiqui said:

Best regards

With this Bescheinigung you only pay half of the fee...you can try contacting different VHS. Doesn't really matter where she enrolls. e.g. my wife did A1 in one city, A2 in another and B1 in a different city :)

Have you tried asking at other VHS nearby?  I knew someone who did B1 where I live but decided to go to another city for B2 because she wanted a full time course and the local VHS was only offering it a couple of times a week over a longer period.

Thank you everyone for the quick response. I will call different schools this week.

Best regards