Don't panic! Test of national catastrophe alarm

57 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, kiplette said:

We had it.

Same as the Saturday morning selection - an intermittent one and a long waily one.

Turns out the kids have one on their school, which was not so much fun. Hey ho. Not actually sure what you are supposed to do if the thing goes off for real. Is there a set of instructions we are all supposed to know about?

Ours was hardly noticeable over neighbours lawn mowing...

I asked the same question. Ideally get an app for alerts ie, we now have HessenWarn. There are several ie KatWarn. Or, apparently, switch on TV or Radio to find out what’s happening.  Don’t call 112 or 110. 

34 minutes ago, emkay said:

Ours was hardly noticeable over neighbours lawn mowing...

I asked the same question. Ideally get an app for alerts ie, we now have HessenWarn. There are several ie KatWarn. Or, apparently, switch on TV or Radio to find out what’s happening.  Don’t call 112 or 110. 

I expected some sort of atlest an emergency message sent on my handy (even without any app). 

I suppose the reason for the tests was to find any problems so they could sort them out in case there needs to be a 'real' emergency warning. This can be sirens not working in some places but also people needing to realise that they need to have an app if they want to have a warning sent to their phone.

Rather than having one test each year it might be better to have one a month for a while until they work out the problems.

33 minutes ago, vivanco said:

I expected some sort of atlest an emergency message sent on my handy (even without any app). 

I remember when I was still back in Canada a couple years ago I got this emergency notification on my phone. It was not through an app and made the weirdest sound. Scared the shit out of me to be honest. I wonder if their Datenschutz laws have something preventing them from sending a message and the only way around it is an app such as HessenWarn.

The sending out of SMS should be possible to all active numbers. They don't need your name and address etc. to do this, just the number.

Useful too to not rely on mobile networks or internet...or even electricity supply. Good to have a normal radio (battery, solar, wind-up) and cable connected telephone (power supplied through the telephone socket).

Nothing here, I'm not far from Munich airport, I would have thought it should have been heard here. A friend in Darmstadt said it went on for around 15 minutes

52 minutes ago, emkay said:

Good to have a ... cable connected telephone (power supplied through the telephone socket).

Does that even exist any longer?  I'm sure there are still some holdouts, but I thought Telekom forced everyone to IP telephony?  I've still got an Actron B in one socket, but once my power is out and router goes off that's going to be the end of land line telephony. 

6 minutes ago, DoubleDTown said:

Does that even exist any longer?  I'm sure there are still some holdouts, but I thought Telekom forced everyone to IP telephony?  I've still got an Actron B in one socket, but once my power is out and router goes off that's going to be the end of land line telephony. 

Not many people do, but it's quite possible to run the router from a battery backup system (USV). That keeps the phones up unless the street connection goes. 

It's also a way to keep a burglar alarm connected. Or a 'red cross, old folks emergency button' working if the power goes.

:huh: But won't that work only if there is an active Telekom line?

3 hours ago, emkay said:

Useful too to not rely on mobile networks or internet...or even electricity supply. Good to have a normal radio (battery, solar, wind-up) and cable connected telephone (power supplied through the telephone socket).

Update...just checked with Vodafone...I didn’t understand all the technicalities though it’s not possible to use any wall sockets for an analog wired phone though our Fritz ox does have an analog socket.  Also useless in the event of no power. 

Fire alarm went off here (Niedersachsen) at around 11.15am with its normal sound so IF there had been a catastrophe setting it off,  the fire teams would have gone to the firehouse and nobody else would have taken any action.

The fire department's siren definitely worked in my little town and lasted less than a minute.  Unfortunately, very few people that I spoke with knew the reason for the siren.

On 10.9.2020, 19:22:26, LukeSkywalker said:

It was just in the news. In Munich no alarms went off, because...they were dismantled many years ago. Makes sense :).

I was in town, and I agree, there was not a peep.

Where did you hear the Munich alarms were dismantled?