Don't panic! Test of national catastrophe alarm

57 posts in this topic

FF was commenting on a test in Slovenia not in Germany. Here the alarms go off at 

On 03/09/2020, 10:36:22, HH_Sailor said:

11:00 on Sept 10th 2020

I remember visiting Remscheid / Wuppertal back at the end of the 70's when I heard one of these siren tests go off. Naturally I thought it signalled an imminent atomic attack - scared the shit out of me. 

If it's the same as the ones they test every week, I only hear them when the windows are open and the wind is in the right direction...

Some older folks in my neighborhood were scrambling for their basements.  Apparently, they didn't know about the test.  :lol:

2 hours ago, JG52 said:

Some older folks in my neighborhood were scrambling for their basements.  Apparently, they didn't know about the test.

hahahahhhahaa. To be fair, I only read about it via Facebook on one of the news articles posted. Not sure if it was in one of the newspapers or not. 

In my place it was sent out via katwarn app only. Very secretive since I realised it only 20 mins. later. Guess I was in the burn them list as well😏

Not a single peep to be heard here. After doing some background research I was informed that in my place an alarm was sent out via katwarn app only. Well I can't see someones granny scrambling down to hide for she probably has not even heard about katwarn app at all.

on the official website, in addition to apps, there were supposed to be sirens going off, etc.

I assume in my town, the sparrows flying overhead had brain implants which ordered them to sing at 11 am.

It worked a treat...:blink:

It was just in the news. In Munich no alarms went off, because....they were dismantled many years ago. Makes sense :).

After playing many different tunes on the air raid warning today they finally concluded that it works. I wonder if the various tones mean the same thing all over? They should make up a special tune on Brexit! The theme tune to dads army on the air raid siren maybe.

We had it.

Same as the Saturday morning selection - an intermittent one and a long waily one.

Turns out the kids have one on their school, which was not so much fun. Hey ho. Not actually sure what you are supposed to do if the thing goes off for real. Is there a set of instructions we are all supposed to know about?

59 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Is there a set of instructions we are all supposed to know about?

Close all windows, duck under the kitchen table and pray. The usual stuff 👻.

We heard nothing here either. It was announced on Tagesschau yesterday evenening that the test failed.

Nationwide warning day "failed

A nationwide test alarm should be used in the morning to practice for dangerous situations such as storms or attacks. But on the so-called warning day many things went wrong. The Federal Ministry of the Interior is self-critical.

The Federal Ministry of the Interior has called the nationwide test alarm of the morning "failed". The reason for this was a technical problem. "The procedures are now being thoroughly reviewed," the ministry announced. The insights gained will then be taken into account in the further development of the warning system.

Actually, sirens and other warning systems were supposed to be triggered at eleven o'clock on the first nationwide warning day throughout the country, and the all-clear should not be given until 20 minutes after the test warning. Among other things, the intention was to transmit the warning via radio and television as well as via warnapps. However, this resulted in various delays and problems.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

More of the article here: https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/warntag-115.html