Delivery to P. O. boxes

38 posts in this topic

Why is it that some ebay sellers don´t ship items to a P. P. Box? Where I live there is no mail delivery service so that I only can receive mail and parcels via my P. O. box but some companies refuse to accept my orders for that reason without giving an explanation. Does anyone have an idea what such a reason could be?

In Germany: P.O. boxes are for „Briefpost“.

In practice DHL can deliver your package to the post office and put the postcard informing you in the P.O. box.

However: all the others (UPS, Hermes, DPD, GLS...) can‘t access P.O. boxes

So maybe you‘re looking at sellers who use a delivery service that‘s not DHL (or comparative in another country, assuming they operate similarly)

Have you saved the address specifically as a P.O. Box? If so, there is a way around this. Save it as a normal address. 

So instead of 

Vorname Nachname

Postfach 999

Moonshine Strasse 1234

12345 Ortschaft

just put

Vorname Nachname

Postfach 999

12000 Ortschaft

in the normal address field(s) with the post box as the street.

We do this sometimes with Packstation or Postfiliale addresses. We just type in our desired address in the normal address segment.

Beware though as it can cause orders to go back to the sender if they do not use DeutschePost or DHL as Martina said. 

This is especially true of Amazon and Ebay sellers who do not specify which service they ship orders with and who don't notice (because shipping is outsourced or automated) that the address is Deutsche Post / DHL specific.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm living in Cyprus. Here the post office will accept even large parcels and notify you via sms.

Still the same principal applies. Just insert the address as a normal one rather than in the section specifically for post box addresses and/or just put the post box and number as the street address.  

You move around a lot. Your location says Greece! 

11 minutes ago, martinamr said:

Where are the sellers based?

It varies. I experienced if with sellers from Germany as well as from Taiwan.

11 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Your location says Greece!

That's because the TT dropdown menu doesn't offer Cyprus. So I deemed Cyprus the closest option.

To recap: 

you‘re asking on toytownGERMANY

why TAIWANese sellers

won‘t deliver to a PO box in CYPRUS

;)

For the German sellers I‘ve offered a plausible theory: they use delivery services that can‘t access po boxes in Germany, so they might assume the same will be the case in Cyprus (even if it‘s not).

As a work-around: maybe contact the sellers and explain the situation, or as Luna suggests „disguise“ the po box address to look line a „regular“ one.

Or support the local economy and buy from Cyprus sellers :-)

37 minutes ago, martinamr said:

To recap: 

you‘re asking on toytownGERMANY

why TAIWANese sellers

won‘t deliver to a PO box in CYPRUS

;)

They wouldn´t deliver to a German P.O. box either. It´s often excluded when you check delivery options on ebay.

9 minutes ago, jeba said:

They wouldn´t deliver to a German P.O. box either. It´s often excluded when you check delivery options on ebay.

Sue them. They sound positively poboxphobic. ;)

Some German sellers won‘t deliver to the islands (Sylt, Fehmarn...) because they use delivery companies who charge an extra fee for that.

It‘s just one of the downsides of living somewhere that‘s not „standard“ for their logistics solutions.

4 minutes ago, martinamr said:

Some German sellers won‘t deliver to the islands (Sylt, Fehmarn...) because they user delivery companies who charge an extra fee for that.

Deutsche Post / DHL deliver to both of those places at the standard rate. 

Fehmarn is even linked by road so there really shouldn't be an issue for any company delivering there in theory. A surcharge would be discrimination.

53 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Anyway how do the Taiwanese sellers know it is a postbox? They won't notice if you disguise the address as a normal one.

I´ve done that but they somehow picked it up. When I asked why the yanswered that they didn´t know themselves but their delivery service refused to accept their shipping order.

1 minute ago, lunaCH said:

Deutsche Post / DHL deliver to both of those places at the standard rate. 

That´s what I did. I had it sent to my son in Germany who will forward it to me. Annoying though as it costs time (how can I be expected to be without a hammock for weeks?) and money.

48 minutes ago, martinamr said:

Or support the local economy and buy from Cyprus sellers :-)

I would happily but they don´t have exactly what I want.

8 minutes ago, martinamr said:

Deutsche Post/DHL don‘t charge this.

Possibly as they are obliged by law to serve the entire country equally with a basic postage, letter and parcel delivery service. Whereas the newcomers like Hermes, Fedex, GLS, DPD, UPS etc. can do as they please.