Where to buy a Whippet puppy? Or kitten?

18 posts in this topic

Living in Berlin and considering getting a Whippet of Italian Greyhound puppy. Looking for the most reputable people/place(s) as most of what I find is from random individuals and not sure who to trust.  Was also looking into kittens, but seems those are also mostly sold by people on Ebay for considerable money. (in the US, many people give litters away for free). Would prefer from an agency, institution, shelter that would give immunizations, etc. but I have looked into to shelters for both cats and dogs but am looking for puppies/kittens which are usually not available. And for the dog, I want a specific breed. Cat breed isn't important.

Also any English advice on owning a dog or cats in Berlin, the law (housing and on the street), training, etiquette, etc. would be helpful.

17 minutes ago, rdbot said:

Also any Eglish advice on owning a dog or cats in Berlin, the law (housing and on the street), training, etiquette, etc. would be helpful.

Search is your friend.

Yeah, sorry, but if you aren't adopting, I'm not gonna help you google.

I'm sadly astonished to see that there are still people who don't adopt.

I can, however, share with you plenty of news articles on puppy smugglers from east Europe who run puppy mills and take the puppies away from their mom too early, and transported in shitty conditions to people in western Europe.

I mean, you can find a rescue of any breed you want, also puppies... you might have to be patient, but you'll be a much better person for it.

I have adopted 2 purebred rescue chihuahuas, one was used as a "stud" in Hungary to make puppies, and at the age of 7 had apparently fulfilled his purpose and was put in a kill-shelter. He was rescued along with a female who was pregnant with his puppies. She had the puppies once she was in Germany, so someone was able to adopt puppies... I assume that happens from time to time.

Sorry (kinda... not really) to be judgy, but it's something that I feel strongly about.

I couldn’t agree more, Bobby and tor. Don’t help the exploiters.

One piece of legal advice, rdbot- dog owners in Berlin are legally obliged to have dog owner liability insurance.

And you have to get your dog’s own tax number from the Finanzamt! ( Dog tax payable .) And include the tax number in the form to register the dog at your local Ordnungsamt:  https://www.berlin.de/sen/finanzen/dokumentendownload/steuern/daten-und-fakten/hundesteuer/hundesteuer-anmeldung.pdf

`That's a bit unfair and a bit of a generalisation.   I adopted my first cat in Germany from a shelter in Berlin, the issue is almost all cats in Berlin's shelter are aggressive, mine was, a lot, but I didn't care because I was single and I had patient.   But later on I've got married and had kids, it was a struggle with our cat, but everyone loved him and he lived for 18 years.  After that we wanted to adopt a new one but the shelter didn't give us anyone because all the cats they have were aggressive and we had kids.   We did a lot of research and found our there are people selling kittens for very reasonable prices, basically to cover their own expenses, it takes a while to find one but they exist.

Although I think adoption is the better option, people have to be aware that some animals can have mental issues.

If you can't handle those, better not adopt.

Our neighbours had two adopted dogs, both with problems. The first one they had to give back when it attacked the husband for going in to his own bedroom, the second one they kept.

It's been over 4 years and the dog is still scared of kids and will attack if your turn your back on it. It's nothing a little awareness can't stop (you just have to turn around) and nothing I think couldn't have been dealt with by people more able to tackle it.

We let it slide as it was a small spaniel type dog and they didn't take it badly when we had to step in on the odd occasion (sneaking up on daughter or wife). If they had started the 'you don't shout at my dog' then we would have had to say the dog can't stay here as there are kids in the house. 

Bottom line, if you are going to struggle with non adopted puppy (from someone you know, a breeder etc), don't adopt. 

Puppy mill and breeder dogs can also have mental health and health issues.

My sister bought a puppy in a pet store and there were big medical bills the whole life of the dog.

My son bought a puppy at a pet store and he turned out to have epilepsy so, many trips to the vet and expensive meds. He died young from health complications.

My sister got her current dog from a reputable breeder and he, Cooper, is healthy and OK.

30 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Puppy mill and breeder dogs can also have mental health and health issues.

My sister bought a puppy in a pet store and there were big medical bills the whole life of the dog.

My son bought a puppy at a pet store and he turned out to have epilepsy so, many trips to the vet and expensive meds. He died young from health complications.

Inbreeding to increase output quickly...

Thank everyone for the feedback, however, many have you assumed that I haven't googled, which isn't the case. The whole reason I am posting here is for more specific recommendations, advice, and community discussion. As is evidenced by these responses, this is more valuable than a generic google search (isn't that the point of a forum?).

As for those not wanting to help me on ethical grounds, that's also fine, though it is not defacto unethical to want a specific breed of dog. If I could get that breed via adoption all the better, which is why I'm posting this question here to see what the options are. And not all breeders are disreputable (smugglers, puppy mills, inbreeding, etc). That's why I specifically asked for advice on "reputable" breeders and said flat out that I would "prefer from an agency, institution, shelter." Seems people are all too ready to judge and pounce, and comments about who is a better person for doing what, I find inappropriate.

The whole point of this post is to discuss all of the above, not to be judged.

In any case, all points taken and considered. Thanks.

13 hours ago, rdbot said:

Thank everyone for the feedback, however, many have you assumed that I haven't googled, which isn't the case. The whole reason I am posting here is for more specific recommendations, advice, and community discussion. As is evidenced by these responses, this is more valuable than a generic google search (isn't that the point of a forum?).

As for those not wanting to help me on ethical grounds, that's also fine, though it is not defacto unethical to want a specific breed of dog. If I could get that breed via adoption all the better, which is why I'm posting this question here to see what the options are. And not all breeders are disreputable (smugglers, puppy mills, inbreeding, etc). That's why I specifically asked for advice on "reputable" breeders and said flat out that I would "prefer from an agency, institution, shelter." Seems people are all too ready to judge and pounce, and comments about who is a better person for doing what, I find inappropriate.

The whole point of this post is to discuss all of the above, not to be judged.

In any case, all points taken and considered. Thanks.

New to TT then? :lol:

Post something here and it will grow as other posters see fit and, and this is important, other people may come here for information.

If the posts above have answered their question, if not yours, then they have found the help they need.

By mentioning ethics, you have not really taken a course of action that will stop what you mention, anything that can be subjective will explode here and we have members that would make Judge Dredd take a step back and say 'time to ease up'..

Think Robocop 'agree with me or there will be, trouble'..

Grab some popcorn and enjoy the show.

14 hours ago, rdbot said:

It is a forum, do not get upset and take the advice that helps you and ignore the one that does not.    People tend to judge from their own perspective and that's sometimes unfair.   Yes, I really admire the people who rescue a dog from Romania or Ukraine or wherever and provide a nice new live for the formerly unlucky animal.   But that does not work for everyone, what if you have kids?  you need to see the dog first and to guesstimate if it will fit in your home, and then you need a back up plan if it really does not fit.   If you go to the local shelter, sometimes you might be lucky, but sometimes, unfortunately the poor animals are there for a reason and they won't even give you anything if there are small kids in the house or if you are not a dog-experienced person.

There is the VDH (Verband für das Deutsche Hundewesen) where you can usually find a list of breeders. Not all of them are 100 % reputable and not all of them can be recommended, but they must adhere to the federation rules which are far away from a puppy mill. You can enter your ZIP code on the website, I found a breeder near Oranienburg, for example.

A lot of breeds will also have separate federations 

I found  https://wcd-online.de/  and www.windhundverband.de, there might be more because most breeds will have more than one and they are not always on good terms, usually having got into an argument of some sort decades ago and now still in a huff. (Not always, of course, but you get my point.)

That should give you a good starting point. 

Our dog's breeder is no longer in the VDH, because he didn't agree with the health rules (his own are stricter) and the number of litters allowed in a certain time frame (again, his own rules are stricter), but they are still a reconized authority. If there are issues with a certain breed, google will reveal all :-) and you can form your own opinion. 

There are other federations 

https://www.hundeverband.info/

https://aciev.de/  

https://rassehunde-zuchtverband.de/

and more, but I don't know enough to comment on the differences between them.  

At the moment, there is a lot of demand for puppies because many people deparately want a dog (bored?) and most shelters in Germany are scared of what will happen when all those dogs hit puberty. It has also made the situation wrt imported puppies from puppy mills a whole lot worse because people are stupid: they want a cheap dog now and don't care where it comes from. In the end it's the dogs that suffer. Aside from the suffering and abuse at the "producers", a lot of imported puppies will end up costing the owners a lot of money in vet bills. 

A reputable breeder 

- will let you come for a visit, actually, they will want to you to come for a visit to meet you

- will very likely have a waiting list 

- will be happy to show you the parents and talk to you about their dogs 

- will be happy to tell you how they start to socialize the puppies 

- will not give you a dog younger than 8 & 9 weeks and the dog will be chipped, vaccinated and wormed

- will not be cheap. Raising puppies is not cheap and while the price depends on demand, it will quite likely to be, I guess, upwards of 800 € 

- will tell you to get in touch if you are ever in trouble and cannot keep the dog. s/he will either take it back or help you find a home. 

The alternative is breed specific rescues. Sometimes that is also done through the federations or there might be a facebook group. Sometimes dogs are returned to the breeder for one reason or another. Sometimes a breeder has a young dog that they meant to breed with, but it doesn't quite make the standard. 

I wanted a puppy of a specific breed. I found a breeder whose dogs I love and whose principles I admire. I didn't care how long it was going to take even though it might have been 1 1/2 years (it was less in the end). We are going to give a rescue dog a home in the future as well, but at some point I would like a puppy again as well. One doesn't have to exclude the other, in my view. 

On 9/4/2020, 12:36:26, maxie said:

There is the VDH (Verband für das Deutsche Hundewesen) where you can usually find a list of breeders. Not all of them are 100 % reputable and not all of them can be recommended, but they must adhere to the federation rules which are far away from a puppy mill. You can enter your ZIP code on the website, I found a breeder near Oranienburg, for example.

A lot of breeds will also have separate federations 

I found  https://wcd-online.de/  and www.windhundverband.de, there might be more because most breeds will have more than one and they are not always on good terms, usually having got into an argument of some sort decades ago and now still in a huff. (Not always, of course, but you get my point.)

That should give you a good starting point. 

Our dog's breeder is no longer in the VDH, because he didn't agree with the health rules (his own are stricter) and the number of litters allowed in a certain time frame (again, his own rules are stricter), but they are still a reconized authority. If there are issues with a certain breed, google will reveal all :-) and you can form your own opinion. 

There are other federations 

https://www.hundeverband.info/

https://aciev.de/  

https://rassehunde-zuchtverband.de/

and more, but I don't know enough to comment on the differences between them.  

At the moment, there is a lot of demand for puppies because many people deparately want a dog (bored?) and most shelters in Germany are scared of what will happen when all those dogs hit puberty. It has also made the situation wrt imported puppies from puppy mills a whole lot worse because people are stupid: they want a cheap dog now and don't care where it comes from. In the end it's the dogs that suffer. Aside from the suffering and abuse at the "producers", a lot of imported puppies will end up costing the owners a lot of money in vet bills. 

A reputable breeder 

- will let you come for a visit, actually, they will want to you to come for a visit to meet you

- will very likely have a waiting list 

- will be happy to show you the parents and talk to you about their dogs 

- will be happy to tell you how they start to socialize the puppies 

- will not give you a dog younger than 8 & 9 weeks and the dog will be chipped, vaccinated and wormed

- will not be cheap. Raising puppies is not cheap and while the price depends on demand, it will quite likely to be, I guess, upwards of 800 € 

- will tell you to get in touch if you are ever in trouble and cannot keep the dog. s/he will either take it back or help you find a home. 

The alternative is breed specific rescues. Sometimes that is also done through the federations or there might be a facebook group. Sometimes dogs are returned to the breeder for one reason or another. Sometimes a breeder has a young dog that they meant to breed with, but it doesn't quite make the standard. 

I wanted a puppy of a specific breed. I found a breeder whose dogs I love and whose principles I admire. I didn't care how long it was going to take even though it might have been 1 1/2 years (it was less in the end). We are going to give a rescue dog a home in the future as well, but at some point I would like a puppy again as well. One doesn't have to exclude the other, in my view. 

Thank you so much for all this valuable information! Amazing and much appreciated. We have a lot of research to do and like you said, maybe some waiting, but if we go for it, I agree that it should be done the right way and from the right place.

On 9/4/2020, 8:11:42, Krieg said:

It is a forum, do not get upset and take the advice that helps you and ignore the one that does not.    People tend to judge from their own perspective and that's sometimes unfair.   Yes, I really admire the people who rescue a dog from Romania or Ukraine or wherever and provide a nice new live for the formerly unlucky animal.   But that does not work for everyone, what if you have kids?  you need to see the dog first and to guesstimate if it will fit in your home, and then you need a back up plan if it really does not fit.   If you go to the local shelter, sometimes you might be lucky, but sometimes, unfortunately the poor animals are there for a reason and they won't even give you anything if there are small kids in the house or if you are not a dog-experienced person.

Thanks so much for your advice!

On 9/4/2020, 7:59:18, cb6dba said:

New to TT then? :lol:

Post something here and it will grow as other posters see fit and, and this is important, other people may come here for information.

If the posts above have answered their question, if not yours, then they have found the help they need.

By mentioning ethics, you have not really taken a course of action that will stop what you mention, anything that can be subjective will explode here and we have members that would make Judge Dredd take a step back and say 'time to ease up'..

Think Robocop 'agree with me or there will be, trouble'..

Grab some popcorn and enjoy the show.

LOL. thanks for the advice and comment!

On 9/7/2020, 2:57:05, rdbot said:

Thank you so much for all this valuable information! Amazing and much appreciated. We have a lot of research to do and like you said, maybe some waiting, but if we go for it, I agree that it should be done the right way and from the right place.

thanks so much—this is incredibly useful! appreciate the time you took to write that out.