Getting internet installed as property owner but non-resident

11 posts in this topic

Im trying to rent out my place in Berlin (im the owner, but do not live in Berlin) but suprisingly am finding it hard to find a suitable long term tennant, but have had lots of interest for short term renting.

The problem with that is I dont have internet installed.  Last time I looked into doing this it seemed impossible.  Various reasons but one was that I would potentally have to show my ID to collect the router etc, if it was not delivered and taken to the post office.

I do have a German bank account and I do have an anmeldung paper (although I also abmeldunged some time ago).

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get this done I would be very glad to hear them.. 

1 hour ago, audioboy77 said:

show my ID to collect the router etc, if it was not delivered and taken to the post office.

I do have a German bank account and I do have an anmeldung paper (although I also abmeldunged some time ago).

Get the router sent to a Packstation. 

When I pick up a parcel from a post office I show my UK passport. I don't have any other identity document, so it has to be accepted and anyway it's never been queried. 

More often than not I'm dropping a parcel off on the same visit, so they can see my name and address on that parcel at the same time as I tell am I am collecting a parcel under my name, so I'm not asked for identification. I just sign. 

Anmeldung (legal residence) and a German bank account with regards to setting up internet and/or picking up parcels is totally irrelevant in my experience. 

Are you setting up internet so it is included in the rent, to make the flat more appealing? I would have thought it's up to a tenant to sort out internet and choose which company and tariff they want. Maybe you do things differently up there! :)

try to contact 

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/profile/230-madaxemurderer/

send him a pm

From what he has said in the past he has several flats in Germany, rented out with internet included in the deal/rent.

So he will know how to do it

If not, maybe try to get a friend to help you in Berlin ( sorting out routers etc ), you can write a letter, giving them the power to pick up post for you, or as a  last resort you may have to pay a Mackler/property agent  to help you, probably worth it to get a rent in. 

You can purchase a Fritzbox over the counter at any media/IT shop. 

Someone still needs to wire it in, program it and be able to administrate it on site.

Personally, I would have thought that a long term renter would get their own internet ; short termers would want it pre-installed. 

5 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

I would have thought that a long term renter would get their own internet

This was my thought also. If you're not the person on the internet contract then how can you deal with the internet company if there's a fault on the line?

What if you want to add a phone option, change the speed, add or take away TV options, change the IP? You can't do any of this without going through the contract owner which doubles the hassle for both landlord and tenant. :unsure:

The OP does say, they are finding it very difficult to get a long term renter, so he is going to take a short term renter. Thats why he is going provide the internet as part of the rent

14 hours ago, audioboy77 said:

The problem with that is I dont have internet installed.  Last time I looked into doing this it seemed impossible.  Various reasons but one was that I would potentally have to show my ID to collect the router etc, if it was not delivered and taken to the post office. 

I assume you are staying in Germany, but not in the place you want to rent. Just call the desired interner provider and check if they can send the router at your current addres instead at the going to be "rent Adress".  You can explain your situation to make your case. 

On 01/09/2020, 14:06:23, lunaCH said:

Are you setting up internet so it is included in the rent, to make the flat more appealing? I would have thought it's up to a tenant to sort out internet and choose which company and tariff they want. Maybe you do things differently up there! :)

On 01/09/2020, 16:03:33, HH_Sailor said:

Personally, I would have thought that a long term renter would get their own internet ; short termers would want it pre-installed.

No as I said its explicitly for short term rental, I need to get internet pre-installed.  And i guess wasn't clear but I dont live in Germany anymore.  So I cant visit, cant pikc up or install myself.

16 hours ago, vivanco said:

I assume you are staying in Germany, but not in the place you want to rent. Just call the desired interner provider and check if they can send the router at your current addres instead at the going to be "rent Adress".  You can explain your situation to make your case. 

Again, sorry wasnt clear, but no im living abroad.  Thats the problem.

On 01/09/2020, 15:12:50, yesterday said:

tIf not, maybe try to get a friend to help you in Berlin ( sorting out routers etc ), you can write a letter, giving them the power to pick up post for you, or as a  last resort you may have to pay a Mackler/property agent  to help you, probably worth it to get a rent in.

Ok thanks maybe this angle can work..

17 hours ago, audioboy77 said:

tIf not, maybe try to get a friend to help you in Berlin ( sorting out routers etc ), you can write a letter, giving them the power to pick up post for you, or as a  last resort you may have to pay a Mackler/property agent  to help you, probably worth it to get a rent in.

Does anyone have more concrete info about this letter to authorise collection option?

This seems like the a good route (if its true).  As I have German bank account I guess I can order the internet online.  And I could get my anmeldung paper / ownership papers, and such an authorisation letter, to a friend to in Berlin to do the collection from the post office for me (and to be there when its installed).  Is there a specifc format, or requirements for this?  Specific ID I need to give him, or what he would need?  Knowing Germany, there must a bunch of rules on it.

Thanks