Returning car to Dealer after 4 year finance period using Rückgaberecht.

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm in the process of returning my car after the finance period of 4 years is over and still I have to pay so-called Schlußrate which is still pending on me. But as per the financing condition I can return the car after 4 years and rest of the amount shall be paid by the dealer to the bank.

I already took the appointment with the dealer to return the car And Dealer seems to be okay to have it back.

The thing i'm not clear is who is the going to deregister the car in my city, is it me or is it the dealer!

If anyone has gone through the same process please help me to identify what is the right thing to do here.

Afair the new owner is obliged to register it in their name while you're obliged to notify the traffic authority of the change of ownership within 1 week.

You need to deregister the car otherwise you'll get any legal correspondence if someone 

illegally parks or is caught  speeding with 'your' plates still showing.

Possibly, the dealer asked you to sign something letting them do it for you.

Due to corona, the vehicle reg/dereg offices (Zulassungstelle) are hopelessly

overloaded and take ages to give you even an appointment.

Some towns have vehicle  deregistration online now. 

Deregistering also informs the car tax office so you get a rebate on the annual car tax.

Did you cancel insurance too?

Thanks @HH_Sailor

Today we returned there car. The dealer gave us a signed paper saying what things we have returned and condition of car. There will be a TÜV Check and then they will come to final price. Also the car was supposed to run 60k km in 4 years but our end reading was 30k less, so we got 4 cents per km back.

So final costing will be like below:

Schlußrate (as per contract) + (30000*.04) - (cost of repair of any dent or cuts etc)

Yes we informed the insurance but they want to wait till dealer goes and deregister the car. Dealer will do that only when he gets verdict from TÜV. TÜV inspection will be in 2 days.

So for 2 days we are depending on Dealer's honesty because car would be on our name for 2 days. 

We got to know from dealer that for registration you need to go to city office of your residence but deregistration you can do from any place.