Can I parcel coins by Deutsche post?

8 posts in this topic

A friend of mine wants to send me some coins from her collection, not old and rare coins but collection of different countries. Both of us in Germany. So can she send the coins as a parcel using Deutsche post? 

I am not sure if things have changed recently but in the past DHL would refuse claims for lost insured standard packages containing jewellery (even costume jewellery) and other items perceived (by DHL) to be high value even when the value was less than the insured maximum.

It changed at some point:

(coins are considered „valoren klasse 2“)

Quote:

Im nationalen Versand PAKET und EXPRESSsind alle Valoren der Klasse II auf eine Einlieferung von 500 EUR pro Empfänger und Tag beschränkt, auch wenn es sich um mehrere Sendungen handelt.

Either send separate parcels on separate days to get around this or use a different service which offers higher insurance cover - I am sure they (DHL) have something as I had to research it myself a while back to send stuff way over €500. 

Or simply choose another service provider altogether. Deutsche Post is just one of many. :) 

What's that lovely bird? 

10 hours ago, martinamr said:

https://www.dhl.de/de/toolbar/footer/informationen/zulaessigeinhalte.html

Yes, but only up to value of €500 per package per day.

And maximum weight up to 31.5 kg, that amounts to 13695  1-eurocent coins (total value 136.95) or 10294 2-eurocent coins (205.88 euro).

P.S. When I left Germany, I put all red coins collected for the last 7 years in a coin machine at real supermarket. Since I do not use cash much I got something about 20 euro, that would have been less than 1000 1, 2 and 5 cent coins.