Allergies and health insurance: what do they usually pay for?

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what type of expenses are usually covered by health insurances for allergies?

I remember mine paid for a special pillow and mattress cover. Could the help paying costs with HEPA related equipment, like air purifiers or vacuum cleaners?

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Thanks! I will. It already seems that a inhaler and perhaps a nebulizer could be paid for.

I tried for a nebulizer but my Hausarzt said it's only paid for kids. I started taking Cetirizin but it didn't suit me. So, i asked my HNO to write me Ebastine but he says he can only write it on a Privatrezept. So had to pay around 42€ for 100 tablets.

6 hours ago, syedalisajjad said:

So, i asked my HNO to write me Ebastine but he says he can only write it on a Privatrezept. So had to pay around 42€ for 100 tablets.

That´s strange because unlike most other antihistamines it´s available on prescription only and therefore should be paid for by public health insurance (maybe he wasn´t aware that it´s a prescription-only drug). Worth inquiring.

Nebulizers are covered. Salt treatment like hypertonic saline inhalation makes things better esp during bronchitis. We have tried HEPA air purifier ( Philips model), but this is not making big change as the air quality seems to pure in Hamburg :blink:. Have you checked for adenoids? The surgery helped in a big way to my daughter to stop the recurring infection. 

We had a look at adenoids 2 years ago but the doctor said to wait a few more years before surgery. I concur with that, I had 2 adenoid operations when I was a kid and I improved a lot.