Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin VS Munchen: Mietendeckel...

8 posts in this topic

Will it be any hope that something like this happen in Munich also?...

I know I dream...

In general I think it is a poor solution. Sure, rents will be more affordable. But finding an available apartment will be much harder, especially for foreign.

So it partially solves one issue but hugely increases the other one.

It will also create a bad trend for new apartments: they will try to maximize area and reduce costs elsewhere, meaning you will have larger apartments (and larger rents) but poor quality.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

In general I think it is a poor solution.

In the way they implemented it, yes, I agree it is a bad solution.   They didn't make a difference between a nice apartment in a high end district, a crap hole apartment in a hipster area and a bad/good apartment in an unsought area.   This in my opinion it is unfair and bad.

However, living it to the Free Market was clearly not working and I understand why they tried to do something.   Berlin is very weird in terms of this, so a normal solution wouldn't work, for example just building new apartments, because the core of the problem is people want cheap apartments but in the hip/trendy districts, so building new apartments in other areas would only help a little bit.    There was the chance to build a gazillion of new apartments in the former Tempelhof Airport area and push it to be part of the hip or at least semi-hip areas, which I am sure it would have worked out, but people chose to have a park instead, because this is Berlin and people want to eat and have the cake.    Soon there will be the chance with the Tegel Airport area, but it is too far from the hip areas so it will be more difficult to make it work, probably it will end up full of expensive high end apartments.

I wonder if getting rid of Air BnB and booking.com rentals would help any.  Cities like Prague are taking a stand, but I'm not sure how it's going. 

11 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

I wonder if getting rid of Air BnB and booking.com rentals would help any.  Cities like Prague are taking a stand, but I'm not sure how it's going. 

They did that already, at least in Berlin.   It is not banned, but it is severely restricted, basically the only thing you can do easily is renting one room of the place you live in.   You can rent the whole apartment only for a few weeks a year.   And you need to apply for a permit in every case.

I think they need to seriously consider all this lack of houses together with public transport. Building cheap tall buildings will just increase density and saturate the transport infrastructure. That is why I am completely against tall buildings in Munich, the transport situation is already the worst in Germany.

Better to create smaller buildings outside and improve fast transportation. In the case of Munich, the main problem is the star-shaped topology of the u-bahn. A circular line would solve this and it already exists, but it is used for maintenance purposes.

I'd say a few cities have the same problems.

They need more flats/houses etc but to build them either restricts space in the city or pushes people out to the edge. This in turn causes the city to be more packed and the edges no longer have the transport infrastructure which then causes more traffic inwards.

Chicken and egg situation, you need to build outside but for that you need infrastructure in place, but to justify the infrastructure, the place needs to be built up.

Add to that if there really is a real want to do all this.  I can imagine there are people and companies that would not be happy to see rent prices drop.

1 hour ago, CincyInDE said:

And Berlin and Barcelona.