Posting our packing labels from previous parcels?

51 posts in this topic

Hey, I have a question... In our apartment block, someone is going through the cardboard waste bin and tearing off our address labels and posting them back to us. Not sure if this is a German thing or a person thing, but are we meant to take our address off waste cardboard? We haven’t had anyone do this to us before... Unsure if this is weird, passive-aggressive, normal, or someone trying to be helpful. Also not sure who is doing it, so I can’t ask them directly, so I thought I’d ask on here!

Whilst this behaviour is rather strange, it is a good idea to remove all evidence of name and address in order to help prevent identity theft.

Maybe I’m naive, but how does someone steal identities from a postal label? Surely that is cause for concern elsewhere too (postal service, amazon, other companies, online etc). Is there a lack of trust towards garbage men and recycling?

1 minute ago, kinmoku said:

Maybe I’m naive, but how does someone steal identities from a postal label? Surely that is cause for concern elsewhere too (postal service, amazon, other companies, online etc). Is there a lack of trust towards garbage men and recycling?

Whilst you are not wrong with your other concerns, it all starts with who you are and where you live.... continues to an old electricity bill you thought you had thrown away for good, and then a litle bit more info here, and a bit there, and before you know it, somebody could, theoretically, take over being "you".

Personally, I don´t throw anything away with my info on it - anything I really want to get rid of ends up in the kamine and gets burnt.

3 hours ago, robinson100 said:

Whilst you are not wrong with your other concerns, it all starts with who you are and where you live... continues to an old electricity bill you thought you had thrown away for good, and then a litle bit more info here, and a bit there, and before you know it, somebody could, theoretically, take over being "you".

Personally, I don´t throw anything away with my info on it - anything I really want to get rid of ends up in the kamine and gets burnt.

I think you are being paranoid, there are far easier ways of obtaining a persons details without going through the bins (which are usually in a semi secure location anyway) of an apartment block. I don't have a shredder or an open fire so anything that has my info. on it goes in the regular rubbish rather than the waste paper but I suspect even that may be over careful!

4 hours ago, kinmoku said:

Hey, I have a question... In our apartment block, someone is going through the cardboard waste bin and tearing off our address labels and posting them back to us. Not sure if this is a German thing or a person thing, but are we meant to take our address off waste cardboard? We haven’t had anyone do this to us before... Unsure if this is weird, passive-aggressive, normal, or someone trying to be helpful. Also not sure who is doing it, so I can’t ask them directly, so I thought I’d ask on here!

Sounds to me like something kids might do for fun maybe.:unsure: On the other hand what do you mean by posted back to you, placed in your letter box or actually sent t by the Post? If placed in your letter box and your waste paper bins are normally locked like ours then maybe the hausmeister (if you have one) is trying to tell you something, ask him if that's the case.

6 hours ago, keith2011 said:

normally locked like ours

Normally? Why would they be locked? I haven't lived anywhere where they've been locked. 

I know of a couple of places that have big wheelie bins with locks on. But not in Germany and it isn't to prevent identity theft (as far as I am aware), it's a halfhearted attempt at stopping neighbours or other people passing through, dumping their rubbish inside (illegally).

11 hours ago, kinmoku said:

someone is going through the cardboard waste bin and tearing off our address labels and posting them back to us.

Remove them before you dump the cardboard!

Were they actually posted via Deutsche Post? If they were, you can refuse them - and then you don't have to the unpaid postage. 

You're lucky that someone posted it back to you and didn't for example place it in a bag of rubbish and then illegally dump that bag somewhere. If the authorities pick such a bag up and go through it looking for evidence of where it came from, they would have been able to trace it back to you from the name and address, thus being able to issue you with a fine (possibly a hefty one) for illegal dumping - which you would have then had to dispute - which is a massive hassle. Bizarre? Yes. but this does happen.

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

Normally? Why would they be locked? I haven't lived anywhere where they've been locked. 

I know of a couple of places that have big wheelie bins with locks on. But not in Germany

In my neighborhood there are both industrial size trash containers as well as household size ones that have locks.  This prevents dumping, identity theft, and general sorting through other people's trash.

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

I know of a couple of places that have big wheelie bins with locks on. But not in Germany and it isn't to prevent identity theft (as far as I am aware), it's a halfhearted attempt at stopping neighbours or other people passing through, dumping their rubbish inside (illegally).

My apartment block, in common with most in Munich, have multiple industrial size blue containers for waste paper, they all have locks on such that you can only put stuff in them through an open slot in the locked lid! As far as I am aware these are standard in most of Germany but perhaps not in Baden-Wuürttenberg:P I do agree that the intent of these locks is not to stop identity theft and I never said  it was, I merely suggested that it could be a barrier, along with a secure location, e.g. locked hof or courtyard, to just anyone collecting the OPs labels and generally sorting through the rubbish, although neither would be for their hausmeister who would have a key for the bins.

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

In my neighborhood there are both industrial size trash containers as well as household size ones that have locks.  This prevents dumping, identity theft, and general sorting through other people's trash.

:huh: I don't see how dumping is prevented by a lock in any way.

Surely the person doing the illegal dumping will just leave their bag on top of the bin or next to it. ;)

34 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

As far as I am aware these are standard in most of Germany

I've yet to see one here. Though obviously I haven't been looking that closely. What I do see is bins out for collection and with further sacks by the side of the bin - no idea if this is because of lack of space or if there is a lock and the person leaving those sacks doesn't have a key, for whatever reason.

34 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I do agree that the intent of these locks is not to stop identity theft and I never said  it was, I merely suggested that it could be a barrier, along with a secure location, e.g. locked hof or courtyard, to just anyone collecting the OPs labels and generally sorting through the rubbish, although neither would be for their hausmeister who would have a key for the bins.

And I agree with you that it is indeed a barrier to outsiders. Anyone fishing through the rubbish for whatever reason (including identity theft) is obviously one of the persons who possesses a key. In this case the lock is useful. 

Having said that I still wouldn't trash clearly visible labels with names and addresses on in any bin.

4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

I've yet to see one here. Though obviously I haven't been looking that closely. What I do see is bins out for collection and with further sacks by the side of the bin - no idea if this is because of lack of space or if there is a lock and the person leaving those sacks doesn't have a key, for whatever reason.

I suspect you do not live in an apartment block, like the op and I, so you may not be familiar with the bins used for waste paper and how they are used/protected!

4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:
40 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

My apartment block, in common with most in Munich, have multiple industrial size blue containers for waste paper, they all have locks on such that you can only put stuff in them through an open slot in the locked lid! As far as I am aware these are standard in most of Germany but perhaps not in Baden-Wuürttenberg.

We have these large ones both with and without locks, and last time I checked we are in B-W. 😂

40 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Surely the person doing the illegal dumping will just leave their bag on top of the bin or next to it. ;)

Good point, but I don't see that happening here much.

In the US the locked bins with slots are there to prevent identity theft.  So I just assumed it's the same here.  🤷‍♀️

5 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Good point, but I don't see that happening here much.

In the US the locked bins with slots are there to prevent identity theft.  So I just assumed it's the same here.  🤷‍♀️

I think the locks are primarily there to force people to flatten the paper/cardboard waste so it fits through the slot rather than dump complete boxes and cartons that would otherwise quickly fill the bins. Despite that our hausmeister regularly needs to further flatten and tamp down the contents of the bin which can otherwise be half full of air, which is I guess why he has a key. Having said all that the keys are all the same and not exactly a locksmiths master work just 2 pins so won't keep out anyone who is determined or even me with a pair of pointy nose or circlip pliers.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

I think the locks are primarily there to force people to flatten the paper/cardboard waste so it fits through the slot rather than dump complete boxes and cartons that would otherwise quickly fill the bins.

Wow, we neither have those bins nor a collection for paper/cardboard. Here you're meant to take it to a recycling point. Tricky if you don't have a car - as there's no bus that goes there. Our neighbours, (since no longer having a car) have found a novel way to dispose of it all. From spring to autumn they put it all in the yellow sack (!!!) and in winter they toss it on their fire!! :rolleyes: 

I take ours to the next place on the bus that does have a recycling bin for it. In theory you're not meant to, but I don't see an alternative that's inexpensive or environment-friendly.

I would never leave anything with my name and address on it in the rubbish. If, for whatever reason, the rubbish ends up illegally dumped, the Stadt can accuse you of dumping it.

49 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Wow, we neither have those bins nor a collection for paper/cardboard. Here you're meant to take it to a recycling point. Tricky if you don't have a car - as there's no bus that goes there. Our neighbours, (since no longer having a car) have found a novel way to dispose of it all. From spring to autumn they put it all in the yellow sack (!!!) and in winter they toss it on their fire!! :rolleyes: 

I take ours to the next place on the bus that does have a recycling bin for it. In theory you're not meant to, but I don't see an alternative that's inexpensive or environment-friendly.

I've been there too when I lived in a small village in the Allgäu very environment friendly and keeps the local costs/taxes down. In a big town or city though it is very different, other than glass which must be put in the bottle containers in numerous locations in the streets, everything else is collected, we have general, bio and waste paper bins and that is it, plastic can be dumped at some of the bottle container sites but there is no requirement to not put it in the general waste. The bottom line is city living does not usually include opportunities for composting, burning etc but does have rats, vermin and insects which thrive on rubbish and could be a danger to the health of the population so you can't just leave it sitting around. It has to be collected quickly and regularly, sorting and disposal is left to the city who often have sufficient quantities to make environment friendly practices economically viable.

49 minutes ago, pmd said:

I would never leave anything with my name and address on it in the rubbish. If, for whatever reason, the rubbish ends up illegally dumped, the Stadt can accuse you of dumping it.

Whatever reason could there be for your rubbish being illegally dumped if you have disposed of it properly?