Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bad experience with ZAB

8 posts in this topic

I am wondering if anyone can be of help with this issue.

 

A couple of weeks ago my wife applied to get her degree evaluated at the ZAB (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen).

 

Yesterday we finally received an answer. Their verdict is that my wife's Bachelor and Master Degree in Computer Science are "equivalent to a German school leaving certificate and parts of a basic course in Computer Technology.”.

 

It took us a lot of effort to gather all the required documents for their degree evaluation service because as usual, they demand documents that are typical for Germany but not typical for other countries but the result is obviously not satisfying. This service cost us 200€ + translation fees + shipping etc.

 

Is there anything that can be done about their verdict or do we just need to take whatever they decide as gospel? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, mingalabar said:

Is there anything that can be done about their verdict or do we just need to take whatever they decide as gospel? 

 

Theoretically it is possible to appeal, but an appeal only makes sense if they made a mistake. 

 

Did you check the anabin website before you submitted the application? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly even if the degree is similar, if it comes from outside the EU you will almost always get a result showing it is a "lower standard" to the German one. Just the German way. Appealing will cost a lot of money and I bet you will be just waiting for nothing. My advice is if you are planning on staying in Germany, is to do another Masters degree.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Narjiz said:

Sadly even if the degree is similar, if it comes from outside the EU you will almost always get a result showing it is a "lower standard" to the German one. Just the German way. Appealing will cost a lot of money and I bet you will be just waiting for nothing. My advice is if you are planning on staying in Germany, is to do another Masters degree.  

hahahah as if doing a masters degree on computer science takes 20 min...

good thing here is if she is planning to work here for 99%  of the computer development related jobs you don't need a degree or recognized qualification, just experience and knowledge...so if that is the case she will be ok

good luck!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Narjiz said:

Sadly even if the degree is similar, if it comes from outside the EU you will almost always get a result showing it is a "lower standard" to the German one.

 

That is most definitely not true. I've actually evaluated foreign qualifications on the basis of the ZAB criteria and there are many foreign third country degrees that are recognised in Germany. 

 

Quote

Just the German way. Appealing will cost a lot of money and I bet you will be just waiting for nothing.

 

Without knowing which institution granted the degrees it is impossible give any accurate advice.

 

Quote

My advice is if you are planning on staying in Germany, is to do another Masters degree.  

 

Based on the information the OP provided his wife would have difficulty obtaining admission to masters programme in Germany at the moment. Again without knowing more it is impossible to say.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020, 9:35:08, travelerworker said:

hahahah as if doing a masters degree on computer science takes 20 min...

good thing here is if she is planning to work here for 99%  of the computer development related jobs you don't need a degree or recognized qualification, just experience and knowledge...so if that is the case she will be ok

good luck!

Hey sorry for my response. Looking back on it, it was childish and not appropriate. I wrote it in a moment of anger after hanging up the phone from the Pruefungsamt. I did not mean to minimise a masters degree... I did one myself and it took 2 years of hard work. Experience is important but connections are even more important. All the best to your wife. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020, 9:36:36, engelchen said:

 

That is most definitely not true. I've actually evaluated foreign qualifications on the basis of the ZAB criteria and there are many foreign third country degrees that are recognised in Germany. 

 

 

Without knowing which institution granted the degrees it is impossible give any accurate advice.

 

 

Based on the information the OP provided his wife would have difficulty obtaining admission to masters programme in Germany at the moment. Again without knowing more it is impossible to say.

You're right. My response was childish and inappropriate. I basically was selfishly venting based on my own negative experience. Have a nice day.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Narjiz said:

You're right. My response was childish and inappropriate. I basically was selfishly venting based on my own negative experience. Have a nice day.

 

You know, it really is possible to appeal decisions in Germany and they are not always set in stone.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0