Accused of selling damaged goods

25 posts in this topic

hi, i bought an intex pool a few weeks ago, put it up, realised is was too large for my courtyard garden, so decided to sell. As I was boxing it I had to use a pump to get all of the air out of the ring. It was in as new condition.  I soon sold it on FB marketplace. Yesterday I was told that it had arrived and 30 minutes later that it was possibly with puncture. The buyer informed me that she had bought 2 of this type before and it was a weakness.  SO WHY BUY ANOTHER? 

She messaged me late into the night. I just told her I sold it in good order.  She said she would test it this morning. 

Well you can guess, before I've opened my eyes she's messaging saying it is kaput! 

At the moment I'm ignoring her but can anyone advise on best course of action please

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ask her for a video showing the air escaping (put dishwashing liquid on the hole).  i wouldn't take her word without proof.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much was it bought for and sold for? 

Any chance you can still get your money back from where you bought it if she sends it back to you?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I don't know what are the terms and conditions of FB marketplaces...I guess it is completely informal and you sell things are they are.
If I were you I would just ignore her.

Of course people will tell you that she can sue you and ruin your life...ignore them too ;)

Good luck!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, travelerworker said:

Hi,

I don't know what are the terms and conditions of FB marketplaces...I guess it is completely informal and you sell things are they are.
If I were you I would just ignore her.

Of course people will tell you that she can sue you and ruin your life...ignore them too ;)

Good luck!

 

If life were just that easy.    If you didn't put a message in your ad saying it is a private sell without warranty or returns then you made a mistake.   Browse some eBay Kleinanzeigen to see what I am talking about, almost every ad has it.

 

To make it worse, probably your pool was OK and she will give you back hers that was kaputt. 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Krieg said:

 

If life were just that easy.    If you didn't put a message in your ad saying it is a private sell without warranty or returns then you made a mistake.   Browse some eBay Kleinanzeigen to see what I am talking about, almost every ad has it.

 

To make it worse, probably your pool was OK and she will give you back hers that was kaputt. 

 

This. It's a common fraud method, but like Krieg said, if you didn't put that "private sale, no warranty" disclaimer in your ad, you have no defense.

 

eBay knows this, which is why they say the Kleinanzeigen are only intended for in-person handovers. That's the excuse they'll use if/when you complain to them.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

This. It's a common fraud method

I wonder how many parcels are sent back to companies with the reason from the customer given as 'received wrong item' with a different item inside to that actually received! Good tip! :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She is now making a claim against me and she sent a load of photos which show the pool with top ring inflated, filled with 2000l of water and with a pool cleaning tablet suitable for 30,000l sat in the bottom. She ignored all the instructions sent with the tablets . I believe that she had compromised the integrity of the pool fabric by overdosing on chemicals. She complains the pool bottom has turned white. Rather than accepting her error she is trying to claim via PayPal. PayPal have been sent the photos , I hope they make the right decision

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henribear said:

she is trying to claim via PayPal. PayPal have been sent the photos , I hope they make the right decision

There are two types of transfer though on PayPal - was this a fee-free friendly transfer or an actual sale transaction with fees? If I recall rightly, the friendly transfer can't be disputed. This may have changed since I last did one. 

PayPal often side with the buyer, unfortunately for you in this case. Even if PayPal rule in your favour, if she used a credit card, she could file a chargeback claim with her card provider. 

PayPal may oblige her to send it back to you as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi thanks for the replies. We have had a very distressing week and discovered that my buyer has done this before at least twice.

 

The con... buy as new goods. she paid extra for the fuel to post at post office. this con only works with a PayPal or credit card payment, and the item must be posted.  it doesn´t matter what she pays because she will get her money refunded.

she states there is a problem. she shows photos of the apparent item with the problem. no discussion. she returns a similar item and makes a claim.

 

she did not send back my item, just a similar one.

She is very abusive and claims to have a witness to the goods sent.

In fact she became more abusive after she had received the refund. I think she was trying to get me to react. I just blocked her

Of course the amount is too small for legal action to be taken.

PayPal are simply not interested. They said that as they were not present when i packed up the item to post i can not prove that she received an as new item in excellent condition.

 

Because she has returned an item, PayPal policy is to refund. I can not prove that the item has been switched. I have tried to dispute this but PayPal have frozen my bank card until i pay them the refund that they made on my behalf. 

To date we have sent 2 payments totaling €70 to cover the €35 refund. To make this more difficult, PayPal froze out my bank card and credit card. Thankfully my husband came to the rescue. Even though they have sent a receipt for the second payment, they claim that they can not find it. My PayPal account will remain frozen until at least Monday.

I have had to cancel an item sold on eBay because PayPal will take the money.

So in future I will not sell anywhere else other than eBay. Every item will be marked with a uv pen.

Her mistake was to start slagging me off on Facebook which alerted a lady who had been conned also by the same buyer.

 

So this is one very unhappy Henribear signing off

 

 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020, 9:51:11, El Jeffo said:

 

This. It's a common fraud method, but like Krieg said, if you didn't put that "private sale, no warranty" disclaimer in your ad, you have no defense.

 

eBay knows this, which is why they say the Kleinanzeigen are only intended for in-person handovers. That's the excuse they'll use if/when you complain to them.

I stated that the item was used with no warranty and i accepted no return. However this parcel arrived on my doorstep without warning and because of the C word, the delivery man just put it on the step and left. she must have been tracking the return because as soon as it was marked delivered she put her claim into paypal. 

the thing is, shes a pro at this, shes done it before. 99.9% of us wouldn´t dream of doing such things and when its done to us we get caught out. I sold on facebook market place to someone who claimed to be local but in fact this is her son and she lives in cuxhaven

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020, 9:35:32, Krieg said:

If life were just that easy.    If you didn't put a message in your ad saying it is a private sell without warranty or returns then you made a mistake.   Browse some eBay Kleinanzeigen to see what I am talking about, almost every ad has it.

 

To make it worse, probably your pool was OK and she will give you back hers that was kaputt

i did put that it was no warranty and no return but she returned it and made a claim with paypal before i knew what was going on. sadly because of covid, dhl just dropped the package on my doorstep, rang the bell and left. Once it was returned, paypal policy stepped in.

the pool that was returned is old, dirty and not the one i sold. i can´t use it or sell it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020, 5:02:45, lunaCH said:

How much was it bought for and sold for? 

Any chance you can still get your money back from where you bought it if she sends it back to you?

The pool returned to me is so totally damaged that i wouldn´t even dream of trying to return it to amazon. Anyway 2 wrongs don´t make a right. i just have to accept and move on. However i am warning people on facebook.

I know that she has done this at least 2 other times. One lady contacted me after my buyer decided to slag me off on facebook. The lady who contacted me knew of another lady.

I´m not getting into a slanging match but i can warn without mentioning names

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can post photos of the pool you sent and the one she sent back. It might help others from not getting ripped off by her.

 

But I agree, let it go. In the big picture of life, this is small stuff.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020, 3:18:05, catjones said:

ask her for a video showing the air escaping (put dishwashing liquid on the hole).  i wouldn't take her word without proof.

she returned a pool, not mine without discussion. However she did sent a photo of a semi deflated pool which had a chemical block in. This block caused a chemical burn and rotted the pool. i had included it in the purchase. it was meant for 30,000L, the pool was 2,000 L. she was sent instruction to use. add 1/10 of block and dissolve first

the returned pool came back with no accessories, a ruined base, it was very dirty and wet, oh and also no original box for the pool

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

You can post photos of the pool you sent and the one she sent back. It might help others from not getting ripped off by her.

 

But I agree, let it go. In the big picture of life, this is small stuff.

Ive told people how the con works. i´m more concerned about getting my paypal restored. One day she will slip up, she´ll get a little too greedy and them...karma

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

But I agree, let it go. In the big picture of life, this is small stuff.

Whilst this is true and good advice, some may say there is another side to this. 

The woman may be doing this on a larger scale regularly with many different items, across different accounts and sites. 

For me at this stage it is a Police matter. It costs nothing to file a Police report. Maybe nothing will be done. But she may receive a Police visit or a letter saying she has been accused. 

If a Police report is not filed then she will just keep doing it. This much is clear. Which means other people will be conned and lose money, goods or both, not to mention time and energy on this.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Henribear said:

i did put that it was no warranty and no return but she returned it and made a claim with paypal before i knew what was going on. sadly because of covid, dhl just dropped the package on my doorstep, rang the bell and left. Once it was returned, paypal policy stepped in.

the pool that was returned is old, dirty and not the one i sold. i can´t use it or sell it. 

 

It is clear the lady knew what she was doing.  Your next mistake was taking normal Paypal instead of Paypal "Family and Friends", in this way she can't make a claim.   If I were you I would go to the Police, most probably nothing will happen but the paperwork will be there for the next time somebody go as well to the Police and the pattern would be stablished.

 

Do you have the option to appeal the Paypal decision? if yes, document it with the item you sent and the item you received back.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dog shit. Plastic bags. You have her address. I think Allah will forgive this one.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Krieg said:

 

It is clear the lady knew what she was doing.  Your next mistake was taking normal Paypal instead of Paypal "Family and Friends", in this way she can't make a claim.   If I were you I would go to the Police, most probably nothing will happen but the paperwork will be there for the next time somebody go as well to the Police and the pattern would be stablished.

 

Do you have the option to appeal the Paypal decision? if yes, document it with the item you sent and the item you received back.

Hindsight is wonderful. However it is actually someone that she claims is her son that made the payment. apparently this can make it harder to pin this fraud down. He can claim that he was without knowledge.

I have made my appeal but since then i have been contacted by a lady who has also been scammed by this woman, and she in turn was contacted by someone else. 

To be honest i do not think that anyone at paypal is going to bother reading my letter, looking at photos ir even read the messages that the buyer sent me

I think this scammer knows exactly what to do. she waited until the pool was noted as delivered by DHL and then made her claim.

Right now i´m really peeved with paypal who demanded i pay this €35 into my account and then froze my bank and credit card so i couldn´t do so !!!! Luckily my husband has paid but they wanted to charge him €15 for an express payment. He said no. They have taken the 35 from him but refuse to unfreeze my account until next week even though they admit they have the payment. apparently it has to be processed.

They have been very rude to me. I live with hearing loss so my husband needs to speak for me on the phone. 9 times out of 10 this is not a problem but one girls said that if i refused to speak in German to her then she could not help.

The only way that this fraud can work is because of paypal policy

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now