Bürgerbüro in the US? What's it called?

35 posts in this topic

or where I grew up it's the Jefferson Parish Government Center (Metairie, LA), which contains the Clerk of Court, and carries out most functions, including passports, and the Office of Motor Vehicles is somewhere else 😜

Guess it’s moot now, but I would call it something like “government office for administrative services.” Oftentimes when there’s no direct translation, an explanatory translation is better.

That’s generally what we did in my former job when we had to translate names of government agencies, names of laws, etc that just didn’t exist in that country/culture. Imagine the headache trying to translate the title “PATRIOT Act.” Yes, it has a long version, but you’ll never be able to match that with the meaning of the acronym in translation.

If I want to find a local Bürgerbüro in the US, then I just look out for a sign "Uncle Sam: I Need You!" Is that wrong :)?

When I was growing up in Britain, there used to be a building called the Civic Centre everywhere.   Dunno these days. 

Why do you need to translate this?

The Israeli equivalent of Bürgerbüro is called Misrad Hapnim. Official translation is "Ministry of Interior", will it be helpful to you? This is the place where you do the kind of papaperwork you do in Bürgerbüro in Germany. In Poland the same institution is called Urzad wojewodzki, in France it's Prefecture. 

Depending on the country, these services are provided by municipality, province/region administration, or central state administration. The reader does not need to know all the political nuances, so do not translate, do not confuse.

14 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Why do you need to translate this?

If you read the first post, you'll see that she was looking for an American equivalent. 

The term Bürgeramt/Bürgerbüro wasn't introduced until the 1980s/1990s expained here:  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BCrgeramt

Citizens' offices (also known as citizens' offices, citizens' services or citizen services) are local government facilities in which public-intensive services for citizens are grouped together in one place. In (smaller) municipalities, several or all of these services are (or were) grouped together anyway in the town hall or a central building of the municipal administration.

The first such offices were created in the 1980s (e.g. Unna, Bielefeld), and on a large scale in the 1990s. The aim of these facilities is to make the administration more efficient and customer-oriented. The concept includes numerous municipal services under one roof, as close as possible to home, with extended opening hours and short waiting times. The range of tasks extends from the processing of ID cards and passports to housing benefits, pensions, residents' parking cards, bulky waste cards and refuse sacks. In more extensive forms, either applications for all the important tasks of local government are pre-checked or all social, youth and housing policy tasks of a municipality are offered decentrally (social citizen's house or office in large cities, e.g. Munich). Administrations are increasingly trying to achieve the same function through new information technologies and online communication or call centres.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

You can't get a good target translation if the context of the source text isn't clear.   In what context is Bürgerbüro being used in the source text?  I mean, it's fun trying to guess, but there's so many variables.  For instance, at the Bürgerbüro here you can get gelbe Säcke for recycling Verpackung.  Where would you do that in America?  

6 hours ago, trrr said:

For instance, at the Bürgerbüro here you can get gelbe Säcke for recycling Verpackung.  Where would you do that in America?  

You wouldn’t, haha! A municipality offering free containers for plastic recycling? I was glad ours even offered recycling service at all - not a given many parts of America. 

In my area of the U.S. we were forced to have a recycling container for our house, whether we recycle or not. We do, of course. These containers (garbage cans) are paid for by each home owner. In my sister's area-an hour away-, there is no recycling. The containers come from the trash services and not the municipality, city government, etc. 

1 hour ago, MollyWolly said:

You wouldn’t, haha! A municipality offering free containers for plastic recycling? I was glad ours even offered recycling service at all - not a given many parts of America. 

The containers in Lawrence, KS (where I last lived) are provided free of charge, but Lawrence may be the exception rather than the rule. Obviously the city has to have a way to fund that, if not directly then indirectly.  And it needs to be a priority.

I can't remember what term we settled on (I've had a lot of translations since then), but we used an English-language term to explain what the office was all about and then the German word Bürgerbüro after that as that would be the word they'd have to look out for on signs in the building.

1 hour ago, nina_glyndwr said:

I can't remember what term we settled on (I've had a lot of translations since then), but we used an English-language term to explain what the office was all about and then the German word Bürgerbüro after that as that would be the word they'd have to look out for on signs in the building.

In my hometown (Würzburg) it´s called "Büro für Bürgerhilfe".