Rent Issue in New Building

10 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I have more or less a question because I think we reached a combo of bad luck and dead ends.

We moved last year into a new building built in 2013 in Stuttgart and when we settled in the previous tenants warned us, they had some issues with some pipes in the basement. Initially we didn’t think too much of this because a basement is something that gets wet sometimes in every building especially due to heavy rains.

Right now, our basement, which is the smaller of all the apartments in the building, is being flooded by a busted pipe. The water has been dripping every day from the ceiling and we think there might be an infiltration coming from the street outside/sidewalk. Our rectangular basement is right on the corner of the building.

We already informed the building administrator and the real estate property administrating the building every time we saw water dripping but since December 2019 this happened in various places and was ‘fixed’ with the old bucket method. Heinrich Bossert Immobilien told us they will fix the issue and send somebody to clean up the mess, but it’s been 10 days, and nothing happened. I mean literally nothing happened.

We already called twice the building administrator [who was drunk the last time] and he kept saying he will come to check and clean up, but nothing happened.

So far, we gave Heinrich Bossert a deadline until 23.08.2020 to fix the issue.

What should we do further? I read such bad reviews about this company Heinrich Bossert that they’re incompetent but have an army of lawyers.

Really don’t know how to proceed further. I just want them to fix the problem because we pay SOOO much for the rent right now.

Any advice is welcome!

M.

Get Rechtschutzversicherung and join the Mietverein - yesterday if you haven't already. They will argue with the lawyers.

You are allowed to reduce your rent until the problem is fixed. Money is their only incentive. Good luck.

Yes you can definitely reduce the rent but it needs to be done properly to avoid being evicted for non payment of rent.

We should have 'if you rent, join the Mietverein' pop up when new people log on.

48 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

We should have 'if you rent, join the Mietverein' pop up when new people log on.

If newbies bothered to check existing threads/posts, they would see this advice is repeatedly given when it comes to tenant issues!

And not forgetting those who think it is too costly to join!

A Mietverein is great but if you lose in court - you have legal costs to pay and depending on the Streitwert, maybe not peanuts.  Get legal insurance.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

A Mietverein is great but if you lose in court - you have legal costs to pay and depending on the Streitwert, maybe not peanuts.  Get legal insurance.

At least they would have some advice John! Advice to seek Insurance!

19 hours ago, john g. said:

When we were a member we were covered by their legal insurance.
I can't say as to how far we were covered (costs, process wise etc), we never had to use it.

But getting legal insurance is anyway good advice.

Some Mietvereins offer a supplementary legal insurance clause at extra cost for that.