Why get Married?

45 posts in this topic

In Iceland they view a nursing home more like a hospital.  You don't go there because you want to.  You go there because you must.  Children never have to pay and an elderly person does not have to sell their house or go into their savings.  They do however make you pay a part of your pension if it's decent.  

19 hours ago, Feierabend said:

Yes, simple wills are very easy to do here, but any offspring are entitled to a compulsory share whether you like it or not.

I tried to tell my lawyer this in the UK after my mother died and left all the money to the cat's home. He wasn't impressed and told me it was hard luck. The will couldn't be contested as she was in sound mind.

Yup - UK rules concerning wills are different from ze German ones in many ways.  Also concerning taxation therof.

Not only Germany, in Portugal wills have very little legal stand. I actually thought this "will" thing was an english/American thing only.

So what happens in Portugal?

The OP may wish to give thought to what happens in his crumbly, past-his-best old age which one day may come - sooner than he thinks - should he be lucky. The only people who are likely to put up with you when you are past your sell-by date are your immediate family - and even that is not a given. If you establish a secure family unit, it ups your chances of not ending up under a bridge. Bits of paper don't stop people walking out, but it makes it less of an option simply because of the hassle-cost factor.