Steps for German Citizenship

8 posts in this topic

Hi all.

Okay, so I'm wondering if anyone can provide some clarification. 

I arranged a telephone interview with the local Meldeamt in Dortmund. The person I spoke to said I need to register first, and this is what has befuddled me. I have lived here for six and a half years+ with every address registered and I even have my EU permanent residency, so I don't understand when the person told me I'm not registered with them.  Is there a special registration one makes in order to apply for German citizenship?

I only have B2.1 which may or may not be sufficient (I sent off the documents for the person I spoke to to check). 

She sent me the following link:

https://www.dortmund.de/de/leben_in_dortmund/sicherheit_und_recht/ordnungsamt/downloads_links_oa/index.html

I'm guessing it's something to do with Einbürgerung? But again,  I thought I was already a "Bewohner" and that I just need to meet the other requirements...

Here's information about me. 

British National

Got B1, Life in Germany certificates, got a full-time job, a German girlfriend and did training with the local THW. 

I can apply after seven years, but it would mean my losing of British Citizenship (no exceptions in view of Brexit).

52% of Brits were very stupid. I don't ever want to return to the Divided Kingdom, but I don't see why I should lose out on dual-citizenship because 52% of people made a stupid vote.

Anyway, can anyone else clarify what I need to do regarding the Anmeldung? 

This may all be for naught simply because B2.1 might not be enough.  I did B2.2 but failed because of grammatical mistakes, but that's a rant for another time...

You need 8 years to apply, or 7 years with integration course- according to the requirements.

If you were married to your girlfriend, then time needed is less.

Yes, it seems that after Brexit, you would not be able to keep your British citizenship. Stupid Brexit, but that's democracy!

Thanks for replying.

I knew the requirements, and it can be six years with special Integration (B2 or C1 German level).

What I want to know is what do I need to be registered for. Now, it could be the person I spoke to made a mistake with my name and couldn't find me, but I am registered and I have my Ammeldungbescheidigung.

Are there any British expats here who have applied for German citizenship, especially this year who may have resides here for less than 7/8 years

Know sure why they are asking for you to register, as far as I’m aware the Anmeldungsbescheinigung IS the registration and all you need?! Strange. 

I’m in the same position, i hoped to apply for dual citizenship but will sadly miss the window by a mere 4 months! I’ve met all other criteria, except time. I’ve heard that that they can make exceptions in some cases but not sure how accurate this is. I’ve tried and they gave me a big fat no. :-(

On 7.8.2020, 10:33:01, ryanderloewe said:

Okay, so I'm wondering if anyone can provide some clarification. 

I arranged a telephone interview with the local Meldeamt in Dortmund. The person I spoke to said I need to register first, and this is what has befuddled me. I have lived here for six and a half years+ with every address registered and I even have my EU permanent residency, so I don't understand when the person told me I'm not registered with them.  Is there a special registration one makes in order to apply for German citizenship?

I only have B2.1 which may or may not be sufficient (I sent off the documents for the person I spoke to to check). 

She sent me the following link:

https://www.dortmund.de/de/leben_in_dortmund/sicherheit_und_recht/ordnungsamt/downloads_links_oa/index.html

I'm guessing it's something to do with Einbürgerung? But again,  I thought I was already a "Bewohner" and that I just need to meet the other requirements...

It's probably a misunderstanding. It's not easy on the telephone if you're not a native speaker. Due to Corona you need to make an appointment at the Rathaus even for simple things like getting poo bags for your dog. Maybe that's what she meant and you have to do that with the Bürgerbüro first. Maybe she said: "Sie müssen sich vorher anmelden" = You have to make an appointment first. And you understood anmelden to mean registering, though in this case it means making an appointment?

You probably need a Beratungstermin first. Due to Corona, it‘s just harder. Maybe try to call again to make an appointment and or just go directly there. 

The Auslanderamt will be able to look at your residence record, they have access to where and when you were angemeldet. I think they might  mean you have to first apply for a residence permit because the EU residence right no longer applies.

^ First applying for a residence permit isn't exactly true for Brits already in Germany.

Until January 1st, Germany (like other EU27 countries) must treat Brits in Germany basically as if they were EU citizens for most things (except voting).

Why? Because the UK is still part of the single market (and, they would argue, pay for access, and if that access were found to not be granted, could find an excuse to not pay / ask for rebates etc).

So for the next 4 months you wouldn't need a residence permit as a brit in DE anyway, as a pre-step before applying for citizenship. As a pre-step for anything, even if you are German or another EU27 national in Germany, you'd always need to be "angemeldet" - basically "I live at this address, and my landlord attests that"

If you lived in Germany *by* Dec 31st, satisfied all requirements at time pf submission, and either:

1) *submitted* formally your citizenship application from your side, but not yet had it fully processed *by* Dec 31st, you wouldn't need to supply a residence permit on top. It is legally guaranteed that you don't need to give up your uk passport.

2) *submitted* formally *after* Dec 31st, it is very unlikely you will be asked to apply for a residence permit to cover the periods in the past (and future) as a pre-step to applying for citizenship. Why? For the past years, this could get them into legal hot water, and for the future years, the Bundestag haven't even started figuring out how and what resident permit to give pre-brexit brits in Germany under the WA agreement (not until Sept 10th does that even start, and could drag on until easter). My guess is nobody will be getting those WA cards finally in their hands until Oct 2021 earliest.

The only difference between 1) and 2), is 2) might very well mean you have to give up your UK passport. It might also be a gray area, as little is written about brits in germany who fall into that special cross-over category. The number of such cases could be small compared to 1), but not small enough to be insignificant.

For Brits who were never resident in Germany until *after* Dec 31st, that is a whole different ball game. Unless some other agreement is reached, they will have to:

3.1) Start the clock ticking to eventually satisfy conditions for the *right* type of residence permit that can eventually be used as a pre-step before applying for citizenship

3.2) Satisfy more conditions and apply for german citizenship, and ALSO give up UK passport.

Oh, and PS - *even if* you eventualjy get your dual German citizenship, you should not be prevented/discouraged from *additionally* applying for the brexit WA cards. There are some rights that even German citizenship cannot give you, but that can be "topped up" with a Brexit WA card (and vice versa). Who knows how long it takes though, until those Brexit WA residence cards become available...