Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Applying for Arbeitslösungeld II without Rentenversicherungs?

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was recommended this forum for helpful information. I have lived in Germany for the past 3 years and have been teaching english as my main source of income. I have filed tax for those last 3 years, but I never paid into Rentenversicherungs because I was told it was something that is turned a blind eye to in relation to freelance teachers. I did some searching on here and that seems to be the case alright. Since the pandemic my work has completely dried up and now unfortunately for the first time in my life I must apply for social-welfare Hartz-IV - I have exhausted all avenues and its come to this.

My problem now is that the paperwork asks for a Rentenversicherungsnummer, and you can apply for it if you've just registered for the Rentenversicherungs, but my concern is will this bring me up on their radar? I haven't been asked for this ever despite all my dealings with the finanzamt - do you think they will sting me and ask for back payments? Will they do this to someone who is applying for Hartz-IV and is obviously in the shit?

I know it's not something that people will be able to give me a definite answer on, but just some advice would be helpful all the same. I really am at the end of the rope here.

Hope everyone is hanging in there?

I can't really help you I'm afraid but they are asking for your RV number because that will paid for you by them while you are still claiming. They ask you for money that you don't have now but they might want it backdated after you get on your feet again. If this is your only option (and it seems like it is), your best bet is just to come clean. In my experience, the German authorities (at least here in Berlin- and in my experience) are usually willing to work with people to find a solution. I doubt it will to you from being able to claim. 

I'm sorry I  can'T be of more help but good luck and I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time.