Can adding savings to another EEA country pension plan help in German taxes

5 posts in this topic

Folks, 

My goal for 2020 is to legally reduce my tax burden. (DE salaried employee, DE as tax residency for 2020)

I have a pension account also in another EEA country. Was wondering if I would invest money in that pension account - can I deduct it from my German tax income? (I would not prefer the German private pension because the payments are not lump sum)

Appreciate your 2 dollars. (...given the value of dollar is gng down I did not feel right to write 2 cents! Ok bad joke. But its late.). But appreciate your advice.

Cheers!   

Hi Kapil354, 

In short the answer is no, you can't get tax relief on pension plans outside of Germany. However, as an employee you can pay into a company pension account and take a lump sum on retirement. There is no need to annuitize the account. Investment option are a little confined but you get good tax relief. 

Paul

16 minutes ago, Paul@CRCIE said:

Hi Kapil354, 

In short the answer is no, you can't get tax relief on pension plans outside of Germany. However, as an employee you can pay into a company pension account and take a lump sum on retirement. There is no need to annuitize the account. Investment option are a little confined but you get good tax relief. 

Paul

thanks Paul. Was wondering if you could invest 100% equity ETF in a bAV?

Cheerio! 

3 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

thanks Paul. Was wondering if you could invest 100% equity ETF in a bAV?

Cheerio! 

Unfortunately not!

Paul already answered this correctly (little wonder, he works at a great advisory company :-) )

There are only three kind of pension plans that bear any tax subsidies in Germany:

For employees only: bAV (company pension schemes). Read more about them here: https://www.crcie.com/financial-advice/foremployees/bav-company-pension-schemes/

For employees, public servants and people (even self-employed) married to employees or public servants: RIESTER pension plans: https://www.crcie.com/financial-advice/foremployees/riester/

For everyone (but predominantly high-earning employees and self-employed): RÜRUP pension plans https://www.crcie.com/financial-advice/self-employed/ruerup-basis/

Germany won't recognize any foreign pension plans for tax subsidies in general. At least in my long-time experience tat is so... ( I have read now and then that some contributions to British or US-American pension schemes ought to be tax-deductible, but that is probably only ever the case (if true at all) in special cases like secondment or such, me thinks).

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.