Private liability insurance coverage for loss of mobile and bus tickets

15 posts in this topic

A friend of mine lost his bag which had his mobile and his bus abo ticket inside. He travels quite far hence his annual subscription even for month costs around 120euros. He has a personal liability insurance. Will it cover the cost of getting his ticket again? 

no. if you mean haftpflicht Versicherung, this covers damage/loss of 3rd parties caused by the insured person

I would contact bus company - may be they can give him a replacement if he can prove his original purchase

2 hours ago, dom said:

I would contact bus company - may be they can give him a replacement if he can prove his original purchase

Hi Dom, 

Thank you for the info. The bus company told him, if he looses his monats abo card then it is not replaceable. So he has to buy a new one. 

If we pay upwards of 100 euros and we get a piece of paper and we have to protect it at all costs that just sounds horrible. They should either make it mobile accessible or provide a replacement. Anyway he was planning OK getting a car. I think that's the best way out of this. 

He can just get a new one and pay the same price. Simples.

Perhaps the pass was non-personal i.e. transferable. Someone may have it and be using it, hence the fact it can't be replaced.

On 8/4/2020, 7:20:03, McDee said:

He can just get a new one and pay the same price. Simples.

Actually... It won't be abo then... So the additional benefits you get for weekends is not valid with a normal monats karte... 

On 8/4/2020, 7:44:02, lunaCH said:

Perhaps the pass was non-personal i.e. transferable. Someone may have it and be using it, hence the fact it can't be replaced.

Interesting. But I believe based on the current market and available technology, the transport service should not be paper based. Everyone can loose their cards at any given time. It's best to be online to check via mobile and access it anytime you want. Even third world countries have moved from paper to online years ago... I'm from one such country. 

4 hours ago, Ums said:

Interesting. But I believe based on the current market and available technology, the transport service should not be paper based. Everyone can loose their cards at any given time. It's best to be online to check via mobile and access it anytime you want. Even third world countries have moved from paper to online years ago... I'm from one such country. 

What you believe and what is covered under T&C are  two separate issues.

9 hours ago, RedMidge said:

What you believe and what is covered under T&C are  two separate issues.

Yes...i know.. That's why I said I believe... And also the T&C are derived in such a stupid way that will only make people loose more money to them... And people sign up to this out of necessity. Even DB has come up with online version of it but the stupid busses haven't changed... 

In Konstanz we can use an app on our phone for buses.  And if you use it for very short trips they give you a discount,  It’s great. 

14 hours ago, Ums said:

Whilst this is an excellent idea, I believe it will be years, probably decades, if ever, before paper based solutions are eliminated entirely. Not everyone has a mobile, let alone a smartphone - so unless these become compulsory along with apps on the phones, which is highly unlikely, then other solutions will still be provided. ;) 

You can't force someone to use an app. I'm guessing there will always be an uptake of about 80% on these things. Elderly, vulnerable, disabled and less well-off people simply won't be able to comply for various reasons. 

What you could do is eliminate paper-based transferable passes and make it a digitally readable card, so that if the card is lost, it can be rendered invalid in the system. The person who perhaps finds the card can't use it as it has been deactivated.

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

What you could do is eliminate paper-based transferable passes and make it a digitally readable card, so that if the card is lost, it can be rendered invalid in the system. The person who perhaps finds the card can't use it as it has been deactivated.

I have that kind of card from the the city of Konstanz for use of the ferry and and local swimming halls.  You top it up with Euros and use it like a debit card. They give you a generous discount for using the digital card as they clearly would prefer not to use paper.  I also have such a card for a season pass to crisscross the Bodensee.  I find this much easier than paper.  

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I have that kind of card from the the city of Konstanz for use of the ferry and and local swimming halls.  You top it up with Euros and use it like a debit card.  They give you a generous discount for using the digital card as they clearly would prefer not to use paper.  I also have such a card for a season pass to crisscross the Bodensee.  I find this much easier than paper.  

Of course, much easier and makes more sense all round. But it will take some time for all transport companies to catch up.