Can my child get German citizenship if i live in Germany almost seven years

9 posts in this topic

I have been living in Germany for almost seven years. I have a permanent residence permit and unlimited working contract.

if my child will be born in Germany, is he eligible to get German Citizenship?

I know about that, according to law, "A child born in Germany (on or after 1 January 2000) can acquire German nationality, even if neither of the parents is German. The only precondition is that one of the parents has been legally and habitually resident in Germany for eight years and has a permanent right of residence"

Can anyone have any situation like me?

If your child is born in Germany after you fill the 8 years or after you apply for and get German citizenship, they are eligible.  Also if you apply for yourself and apply for your non-citizen child at the same time, that will work too.

20 minutes ago, MaxKhan said:

Can anyone have any situation like me?

Yes many do have, including myself. 

16 hours ago, LeonG said:

If your child is born in Germany after you fill the 8 years or after you apply for and get German citizenship, they are eligible.  Also if you apply for yourself and apply for your non-citizen child at the same time, that will work too.

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, that means if I get German Citizenship then my child also eligible to get Citizenship as well. That's I am clear. Thanks

But one more thing, actually my child will be born in next month so at that time I have seven years fulfil in Germany. So if I don't get German Citizenship, after eight years can I apply for German Citizenship to my child?

45 minutes ago, MaxKhan said:

But one more thing, actually my child will be born in next month so at that time I have seven years fulfil in Germany. So if I don't get German Citizenship, after eight years can I apply for German Citizenship to my child?

You can - but then, i think, they would need to go through the whole procedure, which is not quite practical for a newborn. Normally you would then apply for the citizenship yourself and add them to your application.

1 hour ago, krakp said:

You can - but then, i think, they would need to go through the whole procedure, which is not quite practical for a newborn. Normally you would then apply for the citizenship yourself and add them to your application.

ok, understand. Thanks for your quick response. 

What happened to me was:

- my daughter was born after ~3 years of me being in Germany

- my son was born after >8 years of me being in Germany - during the process of me (and my wife) applying for the German Citizenship

This means that:

- my son got his German Citizenship at birth, automatically (the >8 years rule) - and was the first German in the family :-)

- my daughter was part of our "Family application" and received the German Citizenship a few months later together with us.

hope this helps!

Cheers,

krakp

I was in exactly the same position: my son was born 7 years after I moved to Germany. He was naturalised along with myself and his mother two years later. :)

19 hours ago, krakp said:

What happened to me was:

- my daughter was born after ~3 years of me being in Germany

- my son was born after >8 years of me being in Germany - during the process of me (and my wife) applying for the German Citizenship

This means that:

- my son got his German Citizenship at birth, automatically (the >8 years rule) - and was the first German in the family :-)

- my daughter was part of our "Family application" and received the German Citizenship a few months later together with us.

hope this helps!

Cheers,

krakp

Thanks for sharing your story.

23 hours ago, MaxKhan said:

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, that means if I get German Citizenship then my child also eligible to get Citizenship as well. That's I am clear. Thanks