DSL internet 25 times slower than what I am paying for after Umzug

14 posts in this topic

I've recently moved into a new flat in Berlin literally 500 meters away from my old flat, and my internet connection has incredibly slow speeds.

I've kept O2 as my existing internet provider as the contract is not yet over. The process to move the line was done through O2's website, and their system confirmed that the DSL service would be available at my new address and that they estimated that the speed provided would have stayed unvaried.

What I am paying for is 50 Mbps in download and 10 Mbps in upload, and this is what I was getting in my previous flat.

What I am now getting in my new flat is anything between 0.5 Mbps and 2 Mbps in download and roughly 0.7 Mbps in upload.

I have tried contacting O2, went through all sorts of technical tests, and the result is that this issue is caused by the distance from the telephone exchange and it cannot be improved. 

Now, this is what annoys me the most:

• I have had to pay 50 Euros for the line to be moved to the new address
  • In light of the awful service provided, I have asked if the contract could be cancelled prior to the contract's end date, but I've been told that I need to do so by sending a letter and will still need to pay for the next three months
  • I work from home, and these speeds are an absurdly no-go!

Is it possible that O2 is just chancing it, trying to make me pay for something that they are unable to offer? Or do they really have a legal basis for sticking to this lengthy contractual term?

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 14.07.28.png

When I moved to the other side of the town where I live, I moved my Telekom service with me.  I went from just under 16Mbps, which is what I was paying for at the old address, to less than 2Mbps at the new address with the same contract.  When I complained to Telekom that I was not receiving my full 16Mbps, the helpful customer service agent politely told me that my contract clearly stated "up to 16Mbps".  She added that "less than 2Mbps" was within the definition of "up to 16Mbps", so there was nothing Telekom would do.  It took a few years for Telekom to upgrade the service in my current location.

First check here how much technically (support by line & distance of Junction box) the Speed is possible at your new address. You can only get the maximum speed  that the dsl infrastructure supports, irrespective of what your contract says.

If you have multiple Rooms, then try to hook up the dsl modem/router  in the telephone line in other Rooms and check if the Speed improves.

Good luck.

😐
19 minutes ago, vivanco said:

First check here how much technically (support by line & distance of Junction box) the Speed is possible at your new address. You can only get the maximum speed  that the dsl infrastructure supports, irrespective of what your contract says.

It comes out as 6 MBit/s. I'll try with another phone socket and update here later.

22 minutes ago, JG52 said:

When I moved to the other side of the town where I live, I moved my Telekom service with me.  I went from just under 16Mbps, which is what I was paying for at the old address, to less than 2Mbps at the new address with the same contract.  When I complained to Telekom that I was not receiving my full 16Mbps, the helpful customer service agent politely told me that my contract clearly stated "up to 16Mbps".  She added that "less than 2Mbps" was within the definition of "up to 16Mbps", so there was nothing Telekom would do.  It took a few years for Telekom to upgrade the service in my current location.

I see where you're coming from there. O2 also has a cheaper tariff for 25 MBit/s, why can they not at least switch me that one knowing that the technical infrastructure does not even support speeds close to that?

A few years ago (with Vodafone Kabel) I had a 100Mbit connection. At one point, on peak hours, I was getting 10 - 20 Mbit, which is sufficient for most things but significant less that the max.  i wrote to the customer service to ask why, they told me that it will be like that for 4-5 months until they finish with some upgrades in the area.

I still had 1,5 year on my contract and they said as it falls under the "significant less than expected" I could terminate it if I wanted, and the also offered me the alternative for 8 months  (or more in case the works took longer) of 70% discount as long as I stayed on my contract. As 10-20 Mbit were fine (especially a few years ago) I opted for the second option. The upgrade was done after 2-3 months and could average between 90-100 after that and they kept the discount for the 8 months.

Conclusions:

1. First time I had something good to say about Vodafone Support

2. Speak with the Customer Support, if they have a forum, complain there, they most probably will contact you 

Most of the companies might require you to make various Speedtests (on their own if they have one on their site) , with a wired connection, so make screenshots on different days and hours with bad results to make your case.

Good luck !

Sometimes I get 24mbs and sometimes 250kbs, it fluctuates wildly and when you see the beachball spin it´s spin of death it´t time to crack a book.

On 03/08/2020, 15:39:06, vivanco said:

If you have multiple Rooms, then try to hook up the dsl modem/router  in the telephone line in other Rooms and check if the Speed improves.

I was really sceptical of this, but I've managed to try out a socket in another room, and... I am not getting 5 Mbit/s. What an improvement! (ironic)
Anyway, 1 Mbit/s is already something. Thank you for the tip.

I guess I will just give up and keep this speed for the next three months when my contract will terminate and I will be able to move to cable technology. It looks like Vodafone is the only provider available in this area for Kabel.

On 04/08/2020, 12:03:34, slammer said:

Sometimes I get 24mbs and sometimes 250kbs, it fluctuates wildly

I'd agree with this. It even varies on different devices in the same room at times.

It may not be the cause, but have you checked if the firmware needs updating?

Just before we moved last our fritzbox was only managing those speeds you mention when we should have been getting 6mps.
I decided to go for cable as it was about the same price and when the guy came to install everything he said that usually a firmware update would solve that kind of problem.

We are with vodafone and I've had no issues with them, must be going on 8 years or so now.

3 hours ago, Free Prince said:

I guess I will just give up and keep this speed for the next three months when my contract will terminate and I will be able to move to cable technology. It looks like Vodafone is the only provider available in this area for Kabel.

If fast internet is crucial to your work and they insist on jerking you around, there's nothing stopping you from getting cable internet from Vodafone now. Sure, you'll be paying double until O2 lets you cancel, but you won't be limited to excruciatingly slow speeds - and you'll be able to deduct it all as a business expense anyway.

Here is an update to my story. After writing a letter to O2 explaining the problems and asking for an asap cancellation, they have been kind to confirm early termination of the contract without any additional charges.
Regardless of this, I have requested a connection with Vodafone as it uses a different technology and there are no conflicts with the DSL phone line. I am now surfing at a whopping 250Mbit/s B)
Thank you, everyone, for all the tips!

BTW, Vodafone has a 4G/5G router with unlimited data limit, called GigaCube. It is expensive, but it is the first LTE access in Germany I´ve found without limit.

This will change fast, as soon as Starlink starts providing service in Germany. I think tests will start till end of year and service will definitely start by next year. If the price is good, this will completely fuck up the internet operators in Germany and end this dark hole of internet access.