Rented flat liability for water leaks after DIY

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Thankfully I am not in this situation but I am trying to extract an answer from my liability insurance company regarding the following potential scenario. Maybe someone here has more insight while I try get answers from my insurer.

If I personally replace a water tap and the associated water pipes (in my kitchen) and sometime in the future these replacement parts develop a leak and flood the place, am I responsible or does the liability insurance policy generally cover this scenario? Or, must I or the landlord get a professional plumber in to do the job in order to be covered by insurance?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

First, you need to discuss with your landlord about any repairs, renovations etc.  As a landlord, I would not want the tenant to do repairs till we had talked about it, and if needed , probably use my own plumber to replace tap/ pipes.

A previous tenant in the apartment above us did a diy  dishwasher installation and when we returned home from a weeks holiday we found our kitchen full of water and most of the plaster on the ceiling had come down, apparently they had failed to tighten water supply hose resulting in a serious leak. Their insurance paid for all our repairs which were carried out by a company contracted by our landlord. No idea what if any contribution was paid by the tenant, or indeed what they told their insures but the insurance honoured our third party claim.

8 hours ago, Mr Banoffee said:

am I responsible or does the liability insurance policy generally cover this scenario?

You're not eternally responsible. You may do these repairs and move out a few months later, in which case it'd have to be looked at by insurance of the future occupants and/or the landlord. The bigger the job the safer it would be to discuss it with the landlord to avoid this scenario entirely.