double health insurance

35 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

You don't need to do any of those things to de-register at the town hall. :rolleyes:

And again, not having health insurance is not illegal in Germany. Problematic, of course, I fully agree, but illegal - which is something totally different . it most certainly is not

If you are registered with your town hall and have your identity documents in order you are legally resident and almost certainly deemed tax resident. ;)

When I posted that, we did not have the details the OP later gave,. ;)

you would have thought so, but NO.. anmeldung (registering at town hall) is proof of address only.  You can register an address,  as required by law , but  as in my case up till now, 185  days in uk and you are a uk tax resident.  I didn't  choose  this arrangement to dodge tax .  -  i  have a job i love in the uk and a family in uk and germany.  Brexit sucks.  

I  am  well informed,  have language certificates, einburgerung certificate, a german drivers licence,  I am married to a german citizen. Have all my documents  translated and court certified.   i  have submitted  for german tax and  have confirmation that i need pay uk taxes,  if my  anmeldung counted as residency i would in fact qualify for citizenship. 

i could  simply  get an A1 form from the uk as a posted worker  but again this actually doesn't count for residency, and won't count in a no deal brexit anyway.

i want to be in germany permanently.the question is how to get insurance  while still working and paying NI in the UK.

So  while trying to solve my own individual situation i  hope that others will see that while you might think you have enough certificates  -  this is Germany....you don't ! Clicking an online form isn't going to be enough to get a residency card.

1 hour ago, stuie123 said:

Clicking an online form isn't going to be enough to get a residency card.

I don't doubt that at all. Though the system they introduce is meant to be a simple one. We shall see, once they finally get around to announcing what we have to do. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, stuie123 said:

you would have thought so, but NO.. anmeldung (registering at town hall) is proof of address only.  You can register an address,  as required by law , but  as in my case up till now, 185  days in uk and you are a uk tax resident.

Once the Anmeldung is done you are though legally resident here regardless of other residences in other countries. I mentioned tax residence as you are nearly always also tax resident in Germany at the same time. Your case though is different. You did not mention on your earliest posts that you would also be in the UK for around half a year per year. Your tax residence may be different.

You said you would be a permanent resident here. With the Anmeldung you are just that. Health insurance and tax are then separate issues to be sorted out based upon various things. 

With the Anmeldung though you are a legal, permanent resident of Germany regardless of whether you have any health insurance in any country and/or where you pay tax. ;)

5 hours ago, lunaCH said:

You don't need to do any of those things to de-register at the town hall. :rolleyes:

And again, not having health insurance is not illegal in Germany. Problematic, of course, I fully agree, but illegal - which is something totally different . it most certainly is not

If you are registered with your town hall and have your identity documents in order you are legally resident and almost certainly deemed tax resident. ;)

When I posted that, we did not have the details the OP later gave,. ;)

It is not a criminal offence not to be health insured in Germany as a self- employed- true.

It is a criminal offence if employers fail to forward payments for their employees’ health insurance and pension.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

38 minutes ago, john g. said:

It is not a criminal offence not to be health insured in Germany as a self- employed- true.

It is a criminal offence if employers fail to forward payments for their employees’ health insurance and pension

Nor is it a criminal offence not to be health insured if you do not work, live off benefits, pension(s), savings, another person's income, live on the streets etc. 

Even if you work and the payments are not forwarded it is only the employer who is doing something wrong, not the employee. Such an employer could and should be reported. ;)

On 29/07/2020, 16:02:43, stuie123 said:

I need to register in germany as a resident ....  however  i will still be emplyed by uk company 

You will be employed in the UK. Presumably you will spend your time in the UK.

Why do you need to be angemeldet in Germany?🤔😳😣😵🤕🤣

Solvit may be able to help you.

"SOLVIT is a service provided by the national administration in each EU country and in Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. SOLVIT is free of charge.

It is mainly an online service. Although there is a SOLVIT centre in each country, the best way to contact them is via this website.

SOLVIT aims to find solutions within 10 weeks – starting on the day your case is taken on by the SOLVIT centre in the country where the problem occurred."

https://ec.europa.eu/solvit/what-is-solvit/index_en.htm

On 30.7.2020, 06:44:47, lunaCH said:

This statement is only partially true, I am afraid.  Yes, while it is compulsory to have health insurance in Germany since 2009, there is no direct fine or anything if you are found without one. though you can face serious back-charges in such case.
However, what is illegal and an Ordnungswidrigkeit that can lead to fines and even deportation is the lack of the equally compulsory Pflegepflichtversicherung (long-term nursing care insurance). Which you can only get in direct combination with either a German public health insurance or a German private health insurance policy. They are not being offered as a stand-alone solution (trust me, I tried for oh so many years to help people who are insured quite well with international health insurances).

Therefore and thru this back-door, not having a compliant health insurance is illegal in the end because you won't have the required Pflegepflichtversicherung, either.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

2 hours ago, Starshollow said:

This statement is only partially true, I am afraid.  Yes, while it is compulsory to have health insurance in Germany since 2009, there is no direct fine or anything if you are found without one. though you can face serious back-charges in such case. 
However, what is illegal and an Ordnungswidrigkeit that can lead to fines and even deportation is the lack of the equally compulsory Pflegepflichtversicherung 

Therefore and thru this back-door, not having a compliant health insurance is illegal in the end because you won't have the required Pflegepflichtversicherung, either.

We're insured - this for us is a non-issue. The explanation needs to go to the writer of this: 

https://www.advocard.de/streitlotse/familie-und-vorsorge/gesundheit/nicht-krankenversichert-zu-sein-ist-strafbar-stimmt-das/#:~:text=Nein%2C%20strafbar%20ist%20es%20nicht,ihren%20Wohnsitz%20in%20Deutschland%20haben.

;)

@lunaCH well, as said/explained above, that article from Advocard (= Anwalts Liebling :-), what great advertising that was way back when ) is not incorrect in itself. Because not having health insurance is not (yet) punishable by law. Only issue are back-charges which can cause hefty financial concerns when needing to face them (which could come out if one without health insurance falls seriously ill or has an accident and required expensive medical care without having a health insurance for coverage/payments).

Not having the Pflegepflichtversicherung (PVN) , though, is an Ordnungswidrigkeit, i.e. punishable by law with fines. I have seen Expats threatened with extradiction/termination of residence permits if they were found out to be without a PVN. And getting fined, too.

And since you won't get a PVN without first setting up a German public or private health insurance, not having such a health insurance then gets you fined in the end, even though the fine won't be about not having the health insurance but not having the PVN.

Is all I am saying.... :-)

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

@john g. or @Starshollow , does the OP need to have the form 104 to get German health insurance? Can he not be paying NI in the UK and also join health insurance here? What can he do to alter his situation before December, so that he is included in the WA?

8 hours ago, kiplette said:

What can he do to alter his situation before December, so that he is included in the WA?

The only condition to be included under the W.A. or old rules is to be 'angemeldet' - legally resident in Germany. Everything else would be examined/sorted out when the residence card is applied for presumably.

He is absolutely certain that he is not legally resident, and that this has mainly to do with health insurance (or that is how his posts look), hence the question to those two specifically. He may be wrong, and hopefully they will know.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

He is absolutely certain that he is not legally resident, and that this has mainly to do with health insurance (or that is how his posts look), hence the question to those two specifically. He may be wrong, and hopefully they will know.

If the Anmeldung has been done, he is a legal resident of Germany regardless of anything else, regardless of any other residences held.