Crazy Medication

13 posts in this topic

It seems I have caught nail fungis (Nagel Pilz) in my toenails. Part of the treatment is to paint all my toenails daily with a medical varnish (Miclast 80mg/g) for which I got a prescription from my Hautartz for a 3mg bottle which has lasted only 8 days of the expected 6 month treatment period. Miclast is available without prescription from the Apotheke and also on Amazon but only in the 3mg quantity which means I will need over 20 bottles of the stuff which is ridiculous and at approx. €16,- each will not be cheap if my KK won't pay for it.

Anyone know if larger quantity bottles are available or can recommend a more sensible alternative.

It should be covered by health insurance, I don't understand why they don't pay for it. You need a repeat prescription or a prescription for the whole lot to pick up from the chemist in one go. :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, lunaCH said:

It should be covered by health insurance, I don't understand why they don't pay for it. You need a repeat prescription or a prescription for the whole lot to pick up from the chemist in one go. :rolleyes:

I have private health insurance so I pay for medication, send in the bills and have to wait to know how much they will recompense me, which is where I am with this. Generally speaking they will not pay for medication that does not require a prescription, though since the initial supply was on a prescription I'm unsure. Whatever I am astounded that the medication is not available in larger quantity packaging when its use is recommended for up to 6 months.  The only other similar stuff I have found is available in 6 ml packs, a little better but still ridiculously small given the duration of treatment.

6 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I have private health insurance so I pay for medication, send in the bills and have to wait to know how much they will recompense me, which is where I am with this. Generally speaking they will not pay for medication that does not require a prescription, though since the initial supply was on a prescription I'm unsure. Whatever I am astounded that the medication is not available in larger quantity packaging when its use is recommended for up to 6 months.  The only other similar stuff I have found is available in 6 ml packs, a little better but still ridiculously small given the duration of treatment.

My understanding based on experience is that if it is prescribed it should be paid for by health insurance and that they won't pay for stuff you just go and buy yourself - whether the medication requires a prescription to be obtained is not the issue. I would simply ask the doctor for a repeat prescription which should be good for six months to a year, depending on the chemist. 

We also have private insurance, but I never pay anything in a chemist. I just show them our insurance card and they bill the insurance. :)

Have you ever tried tea tree oil on your toe nails! Works wonders 😀

of course do what you are told but worth a try for sure...

4 hours ago, lunaCH said:

We also have private insurance, but I never pay anything in a chemist. I just show them our insurance card and they bill the insurance. :)

Never seen this before. I always have to claim back from the insurance. Even then not always 100%.

The pharmacy always asks if I'd like them to make a copy of the prescription

On 29.7.2020, 13:39:52, keith2011 said:

It seems I have caught nail fungus (Nagel Pilz) in my toenails. Part of the treatment is to paint all my toenails daily with a medical varnish (Miclast 80mg/g) for which I got a prescription from my Hautartz

I wish you the best of luck and lots of patience with the treatment!

My Hautarzt gave me a prescription for a cream (based on a fungicide). This must be 

mixed by the Apotheke. Lasts around 6 weeks before a new prescription is needed.

At the same time, the nails are ground back.

I've tried all sorts of treatment before visiting the Dermatologist.

He said it may take 12 - 18 months. If no improvement after 10-12 months then tablets.

But warned of side effects oral medication (liver damage, loss of taste)

Haven't seen any larger sizes of the varnish - expect they would glue up if left open for more than a 

few weeks. Just like my varnish in the workshop always seems to...

I would recommend popping into your local chemist and asking for something similar in a larger quantity.

Often a chemist will be able to recommend "no-name" products with the same active ingredient, at a far lower price, and in different quantities.

12 hours ago, lunaCH said:

8 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Never seen this before. I always have to claim back from the insurance. Even then not always 100%.

The pharmacy always asks if I'd like them to make a copy of the prescription

Same here and anyway it would not work for me as I have to pay up to an initial sum per year and only then get 80% reimbursement for medication and out patient treatment, only hospital in patient treatment is billed direct to the KK and is 100%.

8 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

I wish you the best of luck and lots of patience with the treatment!

My Hautarzt gave me a prescription for a cream (based on a fungicide). This must be 

mixed by the Apotheke. Lasts around 6 weeks before a new prescription is needed.

At the same time, the nails are ground back.

I've tried all sorts of treatment before visiting the Dermatologist.

He said it may take 12 - 18 months. If no improvement after 10-12 months then tablets.

But warned of side effects oral medication (liver damage, loss of taste)

Haven't seen any larger sizes of the varnish - expect they would glue up if left open for more than a 

few weeks. Just like my varnish in the workshop always seems to...

My Hautartz took a blood test for liver function then put me straight on the tablets, the varnish and a cream in the hope to have it cleared up in 6 months. To date it looks worse to me.:(.

Thanks to everyone who replied, your suggestions and advice are much appreciated.:D

10 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Same here and anyway it would not work for me as I have to pay up to an initial sum per year and only then get 80% reimbursement for medication and out patient treatment, only hospital in patient treatment is billed direct to the KK and is 100%.

We also have to pay an initial sum (excess) ourselves per year for all claims (including all treatment and medication) and thereafter we pay 10% of everything, up to a maximum amount, after that everything is covered 100% for the rest of the year - and I often stock up on all prescription medicines in the last few months of the year as it's all free. :) 

Nevertheless if I go to the chemist on 3rd January and pick up a load of boxes of medication, I still pay nothing until the chemist has billed the KK and the KK has billed us - and this is the system I prefer to be honest. Some doctors and hospitals also do this, some don't - they bill me and I have to bill/claim from the KK. I wish it was all the same system whereby everything is billed to the KK and then they bill you - it would avoid having bills coming in from different places and avoid having to scan bills and send them to the KK as well. The system is far from perfect and most of the bureaucracy could be eliminated if someone were to do something about it. :rolleyes:

You are confusing me, luna!😂 You are privately insured but keep referring to a KK ( Krankenkasse).

Are you with Continentale? Sounds like their system with a particular tariff. You have no obligation to answer if privacy is important, of course. Just curious!

On 30/07/2020, 20:10:55, john g. said:

You are confusing me, luna! You are privately insured but keep referring to a KK ( Krankenkasse).

Are you with Continentale? Sounds like their system with a particular tariff. You have no obligation to answer if privacy is important, of course. Just curious!

I say private, but we're probably not in either the private or public system, but you can't tick 'neither' on a form. 

Since we moved here we've had to fill in a couple of forms, can't remember what for now, but it asked if we were with private or public insurance. I had to ask what to tick and was told to put private. We're not with Continentale but I did come across them incidentally when researching. 

We have Swiss insurance with a KK. We got cards from a German Kasse as well (DAK) but we will rarely use them and there is no premium for it. The back of the German card which is normally the EHIC is invalid and is a series of 'x'es.