Does house insurance cover lights?

20 posts in this topic

On arriving home this afternoon we discovered our chandelier in the living room had fallen down and is seriously smashed, it also has chipped and scratched the table that was underneath it and damaged an ornament that was on the table. Does anyone know if such accidents are generally covered by house insurance? The hook holding the chandelier has pulled out of the ceiling. Our apartment is in an altbau and the ceiling regularly shakes when the 2 baby elephants (nice kids) above us are playing.

Do you have glass insurance included in your household insurance, keith? That is not automatically the case and must be specifically included as an extra.

Is there any way you could otherwise prove the cause might be the nice kids above you? That might then be assignable to the neighbours‘ Haftpflicht insurance. 

Either way - why not just contact your insurance agent, who will know the details of your contract and/ or can check it out for you? 

We do have glass insurance cover, though my understanding is that it is for flat glass only, windows etc. Since we were not at home when it occurred I cannot blame our neighbours kids and would not want to anyway. Really just wondering if anyone else had made a claim for the same or something similar, be nice to know if there is a chance. I will of course contact our insurance agent on Monday whatever.

Our building insurance has a specific coverage for glass whereas our household (contents) insurance does not. You need to check both policies. 

But in any case, the people in the dwelling above have the right to move around freely and I doubt that anything can be attributed to someone in the flat above (like a child moving around more than usual) for something falling down in your flat. It may well be also arguable that the chandelier wasn't properly installed and there'd be probably just no way of proving either scenario in any case. 

As far as I can see, the hook fell out and as a result damage was caused within a room, - not sure if this is covered in any insurance policy you have though.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

The hook holding the chandelier has pulled out of the ceiling.

Who installed the hook? 

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Who installed the hook? 

I have no idea, it was there and solid when I hung the chandelier 20 years ago, I would guess by the form that it has been there for 40-50 years.I don't think we can blame the installer even assuming I knew who it was and it is not something that I have ever considered needed maintenance or checking!

What an interesting one.  I would imagine that normally the insurance would not pay if things break or fall belonging to you that is if you are the apartment owner. If it were the landlords hook that feel down with your chandelier etc. that could be a different story. Best to register the damage, take a few photos of the ceiling, hook, lights etc. and depending they may send someone out to take a look. As a tenant there could be a chance...let us know the outcome

2 hours ago, smurf said:

they may send someone out to take a look

If the value is low I doubt it. They weren't going to send anyone out to us for a door, with damage of about €4'000. As soon as we told them that they had misunderstood and that it was two doors, plus a heating system that had been damaged and more like €11'000 due, they said they'd be sending someone to check it all out. :rolleyes:

After checking with our insurance agent, sadly, damage resulting from lights falling is not covered!

On 7/29/2020, 11:00:08, keith2011 said:

After checking with our insurance agent, sadly, damage resulting from lights falling is not covered!

If the lights had fallen on your head whilst you were having breakfast, that would be an interesting insurance question!😎😂

( Disclaimer: knowing how complicated German insurance is.. it might depend on what you were eating for breakfast!)

8 minutes ago, john g. said:

If the lights had fallen on your head whilst you were having breakfast, that would be an interesting insurance question!

( Disclaimer: knowing how complicated German insurance is.. it might depend on what you were eating for breakfast!)

For any treatment of injuries - accident insurance would cover it, whether it was coco pops or soggy weetabix. :)

Ah! Back to liability insurance in that case ( as well as accident insurance)!

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

Ah! Back to liability insurance in that case ( as well as accident insurance)!

If they are your lights and they fall on your head, I see it purely as an accident within the home. Who is the liability claim going to be against? :huh:

Back to who installed the lights! Oh no, we have been through that!

😂

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

Back to who installed the lights! Oh no, we have been through that!

I'd say that it's totally irrelevant in this case as it is a privately owned fixture and fitting in their own home. I just don't see how anything can be attributed to a third party. It's not as if they had someone out and got something freshly installed and then it fell due to poor installation. They acquired the property with this fitting already in place - they as home owners, including owners of all of the contents, have full responsibility. ;)

Yes, true! We know that now! That is why I attached a smilie to my last post!!

3 hours ago, john g. said:

If the lights had fallen on your head whilst you were having breakfast, that would be an interesting insurance question!😎😂

Not at all what kind of person do you think I am? Eating breakfast in the living room, or rich enough to have chandeliers in the kitchen, no no no!:D

6 hours ago, keith2011 said:

what kind of person do you think I am? Eating breakfast in the living room, or rich enough to have chandeliers in the kitchen

Perfectly logical to eat it in the living room if the kitchen is too small to put a table in. ;)