option to pay full Kita tuition if we don't have a Kita Gutschein?

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Possibly a strange inquiry but we're looking to relocate to Berlin until the Covid situation is fully under control in the U.S. Our 3-year-old has been in "virtual classes" only (which doesn't work well for that age) since March and the fate of next year is unclear. We have a small apartment in Berlin and an Anmeldung but until now we've only lived there a few months each year (we don't have a residence permit). We would like to get to Berlin, get our kid set up at a Kita, and then figure out how to stay >90 days .

My question is: can we enroll our son at a Kita (public or private, doesn't really matter) without a Kita-Gutschein? We are more than happy to pay the full Kita tuition because we feel like Germany, Berlin, and the Kita would be providing a tremendous service to us (letting our kid socialize and learn with other kids his age).

We speak German fairly well, as does our kid, so he would do fine in a regular German Kita. But we don't know our way around all of the bureaucracy.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!

Becky

2 hours ago, BeckyDC said:

My question is: can we enroll our son at a Kita (public or private, doesn't really matter) without a Kita-Gutschein? We are more than happy to pay the full Kita tuition because we feel like Germany, Berlin, and the Kita would be providing a tremendous service to us (letting our kid socialize and learn with other kids his age).

Yes that should be possible. You need to talk to kita and inform them that you will be paying privately. However Kita can only offer you a place if they have a vacant place. 

Please post any success you have.  

I've never heard of this--even with Kita in high demand and people waiting a year or more to enroll to a kita.  You honestly should be able to get a gutschein if you're living here, though.  You can also look for a tagesmutter--they've usually got more than 1 family of kids (b/c you're probably hoping to get your kids socialized and not just babysat).  

Remember, you won't be allowed in the country let alone on the plane to enter europe unless you've got a residence permit or are eu citizens (im sure there are certain other special cases but I'm no expert)..

well... that's a highly creative idea, but I'm not sure if it can be done.

There are private KiTa (like this one, for example: http://www.schöhöndassdudabist.com/kontakt.html ) in Berlin, and if they have a vacancy, you could enroll your son there, maybe.

Your main obstacle will be, though, that you currently can't travel to Germany from the US unless you have some kind of residence permit, or qualify for some kind of exception under these rules:

https://www.germany.info/us-de/service/corona/2313816#content_1