Ethnicity issue in WG (Wohngemeinschaft)

43 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I live in a Wohngemeinschaft (shared apartments) with a common kitchen / restroom.  Past few months, there are two inhabitants (living in their separate rooms) , have been making the common kitchen and restroom so dirty. Cleanliness is zero. 

Recently, after the house administration cleaned the kitchen, the same two inhabitants started to cook immediately.  I told them, "please clean the place after you finished cooking ".  They replied me not to order them. I said, its good for all, so everyone can use the place. Then, those people threatened me saying they are Arabs and they fuck me/my life. I told them , germany does not treat anyone special based on ethnicity.  Everyone is treated equal infront of german law.

It is not only about this incident.  They turn off the fire alarm in kitchen , so that they can heat up the shisha khole würfel (small cubes of coal , that can be heated up and be used for smoking shisha ) on the stove. They make sure the fire alarm is turned off.  I believe these things is not a good practise. 

My question :  what legal options I have ,  to manage such threatening statements. Is there any possibility to report to the city office or is there any behörde exists to take care of shared apartments complaints?   After this incident, I have already informed to the house administration 

Kindly share your opinion on this. 

@ Martnmb - since you list your nationality as being German, surely you should know these things?!

Not sure about the legal situation, but in your situation, I would contact the landlord/lady directly and tell them what is going on. The turning off of smoke detectors can have a huge effect if the building actually catches fire, and an insurance claim has to be made!

I also think that it is not so good to continue living with people who put so little value on your life - get out of there ASAP!

Hi robinson100,  Am a naturalized citizen . Yes i do know basic rights . I would like to know other people perspective on this situation  

Your opinion is highly appreciated.  

I am not an expert but I imagine it is illegal to turn off smoke detectors so I agree with robinson you should contact the administrators again about their anti-social and dangerous behaviour. 

PS: did you already report them for their threatening behaviour?

My smoke alarms are checked  once a year.  During the first inspection, they told me to remove the one in the kitchen because it isn't needed and will go off every time I cook. Maybe they were doing it for the same reason.  Are the rest of the smoke alarms intact?

There may even be different rules depending on the Bundesland as to what is allowed and what not and who is responsible for checking them/ having them checked on eg a yearly basis.

This could have a major negative impact on your home and liability insurances, of course , if the rules are not followed. Fires are dangerous and expensive things sometimes...

Just googled this from Stiftung Warentest-( from 2018): https://www.test.de/Rauchmelderpflicht-Welche-Vorschriften-in-Ihrem-Bundesland-gelten-4485955-0/

"they are Arabs and they fuck me/my life. "

That's how some guests behave now in Germany.

I think, they also went partying in the city on the 10th.

Am I right?

Move to Heidelberg. We don't have that party scene here.

28 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

"they are Arabs and they fuck me/my life. "

That's how some guests behave now in Germany.

I think, they also went partying in the city on the 10th.

Am I right?

Move to Heidelberg. We don't have that party scene here.

I am not sure what you refer to partying on 10th. 

I believe, it's sort of lifestyle cultural differences.  Nevertheless , that does not make one group of people superior/inferior to other people

It is just disgusting unacceptable behaviour. Cultural differences do not include being rude and not cleaning up. This is horrific.  Sue them.

7 hours ago, EncinoMan said:

It is just disgusting unacceptable behaviour. Cultural differences do not include being rude and not cleaning up. This is horrific.  Sue them.

As they are probably refugees this could go the SJW route, it gets ignored and you get labeled a racist. The dirtyness is likely to be ignored the fire alarm definately not, report it to the fire department

12 hours ago, Martnmb said:

Hi robinson100,  Am a naturalized citizen . Yes i do know basic rights . I would like to know other people perspective on this situation  

Your opinion is highly appreciated.  

My wife is a German and even 20 years on we're still learning stuff here!!!

OK, the OP joins three days ago, and immediately starts posting illogical stuff (German kitchens don't have smoke alarms for a reason) and spouts right wing propaganda worthy of the AfD. Or is he, a German, a member of said party?

And immediately personally attacks one of our best known and popular members, against all forum rules, when he doesn't get the answer he wants to hear.

Right. I suggest thinking about if the OP is worth our time. *leaves*

1 hour ago, Metall said:

OK, the OP joins three days ago, and immediately starts posting illogical stuff (German kitchens don't have smoke alarms for a reason) and spouts right wing propaganda worthy of the AfD. Or is he, a German, a member of said party?

And immediately personally attacks one of our best known and popular members, against all forum rules, when he doesn't get the answer he wants to hear.

Right. I suggest thinking about if the OP is worth our time. *leaves*

People turn to public forum for a cause and getting a useful reply. I am not here to get a favorable reply but a useful reply.  

If Somebody comes up with a critical suggestion  , it might help some instances in future.  

I never attacked anyone. I have acknowledged thankfully for the comments.  

For instance, you say , kitchens dont have a fire alarm for a reason. This forum is all about understanding things better. If you can, then explain or give a logical website link why is it a reason ! 

I have got the direction from some of the useful forum responders, who care for a healthy discussion/insights. 

With due respect  , do not dilute the essence of original post using term "right wing propaganda ". 

Thanks for all, who replied with a critical analysis of the situation :)

14 hours ago, Martnmb said:

Fraufruit : thanks for your useless comment.

She actually gave you very good advice imo. Let me put it a bit more diplomatically. You and your roomies are obviously not a good fit. Since there's more of them, it would be logical for you to move. Sure you can hope that the housing administration will kick them out but even if they want to it'll not be instant and it'll not be pleasant living with them while that is happening. Sure you can complain to the fire department, the police if there are threats etc. but my trust in the German establishment is fairly low to think that much will come of it. Good luck though.

3 minutes ago, LeonG said:

She actually gave you very good advice imo. Let me put it a bit more diplomatically. You and your roomies are obviously not a good fit. Since there's more of them, it would be logical for you to move. Sure you can hope that the housing administration will kick them out but even if they want to it'll not be instant and it'll not be pleasant living with them while that is happening. Sure you can complain to the fire department, the police if there are threats etc. but my trust in the German establishment is fairly low to think that much will come of it. Good luck though.

Agreed ...  thank you LeonG

16 minutes ago, LeonG said:

She actually gave you very good advice imo.

How's a simplistic "take it or leave it" comment without any nuance: a good comment?

She actually said what the nuisance creating tenants want.

20 minutes ago, sachss said:

She actually said what the nuisance creating tenants want.

@sachss thanks for your opinion.

To be honest , I was not sure about the exact interpretation of comment given by a best known and a popular member.   I respect this best known member,  but it was too short to interpret.  Again, no offense against anyone. I extend my respect to all 

17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

They don't like you. You don't like them.

Move.

I appreciate  LeonG insights on elaborating further 

44 minutes ago, LeonG said:

She actually gave you very good advice imo. Let me put it a bit more diplomatically. You and your roomies are obviously not a good fit. Since there's more of them, it would be logical for you to move.

My personal opinion is :  Lets say, such an incident happens.  Then i follow ,the rule "leave it and move on " .   This might or might not happen to other people .  If everybody moves on,  then it might become a habit for such behavior to continue.  I do not want to be a reason for this issue to just continue forever.  I do not want other people (in future) to get treated the way, I got treated  !!!

My partner's cousin has lived entire 2 years duration of her Masters program in a privately run "Studentenwohnung" in Frankfurt, that was also rented out to blue collar workers (using legal loopholes), and effectively was nothing short of a slum. Police visits during loud Saturday parties, tenants subletting to multiple illegals in single seater room, filthy kitchen, tenants using water in toilet to clean themselves (instead of toilet paper): she has experienced it all.

She was vocal, proactive, took photos whenever she could. She successfully helped evict 3 illegal squatters. Filthy kitchen was far tougher to tackle; but she did not back down and did "tit for tat" reply whenever possible. She was herself POC which helped her taking a stand (being immune against random racism allegations)

Now the authority has entirely stopped renting out to blue collar workers. Now the Wohnung (from where she moved last April) is almost entirely rented out to foreign students (mostly South and East Asians) who also cook 4 warm meals a day, but are much more law abiding and tends to follow rules and adopt better cleanliness norms if enforced.