Hauptmieter- Net Income Requirement

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Looking for advice on taking over a contract as the sole Hauptmieter:

I currently live with a friend in an apartment for almost a year now. They will move out to live with their partner, and I would like to stay. I would prefer to take over the contract as the sole Hauptmieter rather than take the risk of sharing the responsibility with someone I don't know very well.

However, I have heard that most landlords require that the Hauptmieter make 3x the Kaltmiete in net income in order to take it over alone?Is this true? Is this legally required or just practice? I currently make approximately 2.1x the Kaltmiete... what do you think my chances of negotiating are?

Furthermore, as a non-EU citizen, would a landlord except a Bürgschaft from my parents or other family outside of Germany in lieu of 3x the Kaltmiete income? I have heard that Bürgschaft from foreigners is often not accepted... 

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Have you talked to the landlord yet?

How much of the total rent have you been paying until now?

Was the landlord aware of you staying in the apartment?

There is no "legal requirement" for any specific rent/income ratio - but common sense tells me, that you will have a hard time making ends meet if your housing cost (rent plus Nebenkosten) is more than 40% of your disposable income.

Let's assume Kaltmiete is 500,- € - so you are making 1.050,- € take home.

Nebenkosten will be around 150,- €
Power, TV/Internet, cell phone will set you back another 200,- €

That leaves you with 200,- € a month for living expenses.

Do you have a car? Or do you use public transportation? Do you still eat? What about clothes, travel, hobbies?

That doesn't look like a good plan to me - of course, just based on my assumptions.

In my example, if I was the landlord, I would expect you to make at least 1.625,- € to be giving you access to my property. Just to be safe.

So that formula, of *three times Kaltmiete*, isn't too far off, actually.

2 hours ago, cbjonesing said:

would a landlord except a Bürgschaft from my parents or other family outside of Germany in lieu of 3x the Kaltmiete

Of course, they don´t have to but they might. Just ask.

I regret to inform you that you've come to the wrong place for good advice due to the increase of clueless trolls and I would highly recommend that you contact the Mieterverein first to determine what type of lease you have as well as the best way to go forward:

https://www.berliner-mieterverein.de/recht/infoblaetter/info-97-wohngemeinschaft-und-nichteheliche-lebensgemeinschaft.htm

16 hours ago, cbjonesing said:

I would prefer to take over the contract as the sole Hauptmieter rather than take the risk of sharing the responsibility with someone I don't know very well.

However, I have heard that most landlords require that the Hauptmieter make 3x the Kaltmiete in net income in order to take it over alone?Is this true? Is this legally required or just practice? I currently make approximately 2.1x the Kaltmiete... what do you think my chances of negotiating are?

If your landlord is looking for a way to get rid of you in order to raise the rent, the landlord might not even be willing to enter into a new lease with you (I've heard about this happening in Berlin and you posted on the sub forum for Berlin).