Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

bike and car accident

48 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, travelerworker said:

Hello, I am not an expert/lawyer, however, I think it will be difficult for anybody to prove that she did it on purpose...how you prove her intention?

On the other hand she was driving a piece of metal that is 2 tones heavy...going out a car park fast...I would say she is responsible for any harm, she is driving the most "dangerous" vehicle.

If you have insurance you will pay nothing...but I guess the insurance company will challenge her behavior?

The point is - IF the personal liability insurance provider doubts the claims of the Third Party, it then doubles up as a kind of legal insurance and offers legal services to alleviate the hassle/ dispute the claim etc.

18 minutes ago, Reexvan said:

Thankyou. We are on the same page here. I dont know. I dont have the Cycle insurance. i will try finding out if a nearby shop has a video of this. 

NOT cycle insurance - personal liability insurance! Private Haftpflichtversicherung, in German. And not only for cyclists! 24 hours a day in your rented apartment or in a shop or on a street eg it is raining and you accidentally poke someone’s eye with your umbrella and they need hospital treatment. The injured person’s health insurance pays the hospital bills and then contacts...YOU... for their money back!

That is what happened to the young Canadian the SECOND time he was on his bike -  and ran over an old lady, who was in hospital for three months. 
( same cause of accident!😫😂)..

1 hour ago, Reexvan said:

Well since i am a foreigner and living in saxony i expected this overreaction and the fact that she wont talk in english. Since i talk very little german i am alomst handicapped in a situation like this.   

She came out quite fast which is wrong. She should get out of the parking lane slowely. It almost appeard to me that this was done on purpose from her .

It is not her fault that you cannot speak German. Maybe she called the police because you cannot speak German and cannot have a proper conversation with her? 

Even if she did it on purpose, there is no way you can prove it. And it has already been established you were riding your bicycle in the wrong direction.

Anyways good luck

Isn’t it a legal obligation to call the police? Even here in Greece it is!

8 minutes ago, john g. said:

Isn’t it a legal obligation to call the police? Even here in Greece it is!

In Germany they will come immediately. In Greece they come the next day 😎.

They are not THAT fast, Luke!😂

First, coffee and souvlakia on the way, chat to Manoli and Maria in another village, have a lie down!

You've admitted that you were going the wrong way. Just pay for it but fair play to you that you are assimilating to Germany because they often have problems accepting responsibility. I can hear the can of worms being opened now.

True, McDee, but people in general don’t like accepting responsibility. It is always easy to blame someone else or run away from responsibility.

Here in our Greek village, one day , a woman poured her piss pot into the pathway and then hosed it off. My partner Nicole slipped over and was fortunate not to have seriously injured herself.

Some neighbours saw it and what did they all do? None rode to her rescue. All quickly closed their doors.

All were obviously afraid of what the evil foreigner would do. None of them has any insurance at all.

Nicole shrugged it off. A day or two later, one or two neighbours opened up.. “ ela, Nicole. Coffee?”

The way it is.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Try and take no notice of the engelchen post, looks like they got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!

No, I just don't like weasels.

If the first and second answer is yes then you are probably still ok, generally speaking car drivers are nearly always deemed to be at fault in accidents involving cyclists.

Could you please explain how it was the driver's fault that the OP was driving the wrong way down a one way street?

On the other hand, I'm glad the OP started this thread; if I ever get into an accident with a cyclist, regardless of the damage I'll be sure to call the cops. 

1 hour ago, travelerworker said:

Hello, I am not an expert/lawyer, however, I think it will be difficult for anybody to prove that she did it on purpose...how you prove her intention?

On the other hand she was driving a piece of metal that is 2 tones heavy...going out a car park fast...I would say she is responsible for any harm, she is driving the most "dangerous" vehicle.

If you have insurance you will pay nothing...but I guess the insurance company will challenge her behavior?

i just found out i have liability insurance

17 minutes ago, engelchen said:

No, I just don't like weasels.

Could you please explain how it was the driver's fault that the OP was driving the wrong way down a one way street?

On the other hand, I'm glad the OP started this thread; if I ever get into an accident with a cyclist, regardless of the damage I'll be sure to call the cops. 

Man! FYI i could have called my lawyer then and there but i choose not to! Just saying. and i swear to God! had it been somebody like you. wouldnt even  give it a second thought!

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

How did you find that out?👍🏼

man i checked my insurance policy .

2 hours ago, Reexvan said:

:)

yes i was cycling and going against the traffic. Entry prohibited.  

Entry prohibited for car or also cycle? Some one way street in residential area allows cycle in both ways. 

1 minute ago, vivanco said:

Entry prohibited for car or also cycle? Some one way street in residential area allows cycle in both ways. 

Thanks for voicing this out. It definitely crosses my mind. I am not sure if it was a residential area. I will go and check tomorrow

6 minutes ago, Reexvan said:

man i checked my insurance policy .

Just make sure it’s not your health insurance contract or something else. You don’t speak German. And then, if all is well , contact them!

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

Just make sure it’s not your health insurance contract or something else. You don’t speak German. And then, if all is well , contact them!

I ll be sure to do that tomorrow :)

3 hours ago, Reexvan said:

What can be the possible fine for me in this case. I know its 20 euros for cycling in the wrong lane which i am not that concerned about. 

Should i get a lawyer as it appeard to me that this was done on pupose. 

You have to wait till you get the bill (cost estimate of repairs) from the other side. Then you decide if you want to get a lawyer. 

Also did the accident happened while you were  riding your bike to work or returning from work? If yes then also check your workplace insurance . 

Goodluck. 

4 minutes ago, vivanco said:

You have to wait till you get the bill (cost estimate of repairs) from the other side. Then you decide if you want to get a lawyer. 

Also did the accident happened while you were  riding your bike to work or returning from work? If yes then also check your workplace insurance . 

Goodluck. 

I was just Exploring the city

59 minutes ago, engelchen said:

59 minutes ago, engelchen said:

3 hours ago, Reexvan said:

If one is pulling out the car from parking (stationary) position, it's the driver responsibility to check all sides of the road and do it only if it's safe.