Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Subletting in Munich - Allowed?

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I would like to get advise whether someone knows the answer or have experienced similar experience in the past.

Me and my girlfriend are moving to Spain for 11 months to enjoy our Elternzeit there together with our little boy, after that time we must come back to Munich.

We have asked our landlord to sublet the apartment for this period and he was quite clear, NO! No reasons why. 

So now I wonder whether this is legal or not, when you wont be living in the country for such a long period of time.

Thanks a lot!

Goyo

Just now, Kogoyo said:

Me and my girlfriend are moving to Spain for 11 months to enjoy our Elternzeit there together with our little boy, after that time we must come back to Munich.

We have asked our landlord to sublet the apartment for this period and he was quite clear, NO! No reasons why.

If you want to receive Elterngeld, your apartment in Germany must remain available for your use (i.e. you shouldn't sublet).

You can sublet if you have a good reason, like a job in Spain or family there who needs you back for a while. Check what's in the contract you have signed, there mus be a paragraph about "Untervermietung". If it says NO, then it's NO. But there are many ways to sublet legally even if the landlord doesn't wish that. The best you can do is become a member of a "Mieterverein", wich is very pricy, and hold there for a couple of € all kind of information you need.