Is "social justice" a good idea?

267 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2020, 10:36:48, dessa_dangerous said:

The US would save itself also a lot of money and cut way down on crime if they would put any sort of competent social security net in place, but, nope, for the majority of people, you're either working (a LOT) or are perpetually a paycheck away from sleeping on the street.

That won`t wash on this forum.

If anyone but you had posted that the replies would be "well get another job""move to a better city" etc etc.

I`d say 80% of this board has never faced any true financial hardship.

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

Based on what prejudice, Keleth? How do you know that?

Well I`m not going to troll through every post on here as you seem to read posts but not pay attention to them.

"If you dont like it move"

"If you don`t like it get another job"

"I can`t understand why people think taking home 5k a month is a lot"

Someone considering themselves poor because they only had €45 in their pocket at the end of the month.

Just some examples.

People on here seem to consider financial hardship as not being able to go on holiday.

Tell me what is your definition of true financial hardship and then think how many posters on here have suffered that.

I cannot write on behalf of other people - that would be arrogant. Financial hardship? Been there and got the T-shirt. By the way, I grew up pretty hungry.

And another by the way- I am self- employed - which means I am always a client complaint away from being sued and maybe losing and bankrupt. Or a heart attack away. 
Your final sentence-how should I know about other posters?

You are broke, right? And other people are to blame?

A friend of mine in Hamburg has inherited twice- he has blown away the money both times. The second time involved a childhood sweetheart he contacted through Facebook or whatever- they met and, basically, she did the blowjob a few times and he paid for a new kitchen, horse vet bills etc- then she left him.

You are clearly broke and are looking for a scapegoat, right?

10 hours ago, john g. said:

We are indeed going around in circles! You are not answering the question-should a sarcastic poster on this forum be faced with a prosecutor? Yes or no? Own up!

And people think that Russian trolls have killed Toytown.   :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, john g. said:

Your final sentence-how should I know about other posters?

Same way as you do in your quote below ?

9 hours ago, john g. said:

You are broke, right? And other people are to blame?

Nope haven`t been that in Germany yet and been working through the lockdown so even that didn`t affect me financially.

Good for you, Keleth! Sincerely. Many others eg many freelancers/ self-employed have been severely hit by the lockdown. These are very tough times for many, even in a rich country such as Germany.

1 minute ago, john g. said:

These are very tough times for many, even in a rich country such as Germany.

True, but the effect is probably less severe in Germany than elsewhere. I was at the hairdresser yesterday and he told me that even though he had to close (while I had to cut my remaining hair using the fur trimmer I had bought for my dogs), that here in Cyprus there were no state subsidies to help small local businesses as his and he had to pay rent for his barbershop as usual. And let´s not even talk about third world countries.

Yes, jeba. Same as here on Crete. And a dilemma- small businesses ( and larger ones ) really rely on the tourist season but they are really scared of the tourists - corona.

Our local beach taverna owner is hardly opening at all - though some tourists are starting to arrive.

The only reason he is opening at all for an hour or two on some days is to keep his licence. No food being offered - just drinks.

The coronavirus lockdown has been a disaster for so many people in economic terms. Yet the critics of the lockdown are routinely demonised as being "selfish", "right-wing", "conspiracy theorists", etc. Why is it that you can't criticise the government in Germany without being vilified for it?

21 minutes ago, GerardB said:

Why is it that you can't criticise the government in Germany without being vilified for it?

You can and a lot of people have been doing it. You should offer a better alternative though. So far it seems to me that IF there will be a vaccine Germany will probably turn out to have chosen the lesser evil.

7 minutes ago, jeba said:

You can and a lot of people have been doing it. You should offer a better alternative though. So far it seems to me that IF there will be a vaccine Germany will probably turn out to have chosen the lesser evil.

I don't think people have to offer a "better alternative" when they criticise the government. If the government forces businesses to close, then business owners have every right to be critical of and angry over this, without having to justify their position. Their position is pretty clear after all: they've lost income.

35 minutes ago, GerardB said:

I don't think people have to offer a "better alternative" when they criticise the government. If the government forces businesses to close, then business owners have every right to be critical of and angry over this, without having to justify their position. Their position is pretty clear after all: they've lost income.

I disagree. Criticising without offering an alternative is merely moaning in my book.

3 minutes ago, jeba said:

I disagree. Criticising without offering an alternative is merely moaning in my book.

The alternative is that they would have been allowed keep their businesses open.

8 minutes ago, GerardB said:

The alternative is that they would have been allowed keep their businesses open.

Do you think there would be a majority for that option, given the cost attached to it?

Just now, jeba said:

Do you think there would be a majority for that option, given the cost attached to it?

I don't know but it's certainly the way I lean.

11 minutes ago, GerardB said:

I don't know but it's certainly the way I lean.

You might feel differently if you were part of a high risk group or had people close to you who are.

4 minutes ago, jeba said:

You might feel differently if you were part of a high risk group or had people close to you who are.

Perhaps but can't those people just stay at home of their own volition?

4 minutes ago, GerardB said:

Perhaps but can't those people just stay at home of their own volition?

It´s impossible to make sure that high-risk groups are separated. Also, you need to keep the number of infections low enough to be able to trace contacts. But you´re free to start a petition for a referendum in your state. That will show you what the majority prefers. If there will be no vaccine it might lead to a mood change - but for now I don´t see it.

10 minutes ago, jeba said:

It´s impossible to make sure that high-risk groups are separated. Also, you need to keep the number of infections low enough to be able to trace contacts. But you´re free to start a petition for a referendum in your state. That will show you what the majority prefers. If there will be no vaccine it might lead to a mood change - but for now I don´t see it.

I can well imagine that the majority of Germans are in favour of keeping the coronavirus restrictions in place - or even making them stricter - but that's because the Germans have an authoritarian streak and like nothing more than being told what to do by the state.