Buying a car, which model, and which regions of Germany have best deals?

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

Alfa Romeo Guiletta

Exactly!!!!!

My perfect car would be an Alfa with a Tesla power train!

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

Smart Fourfour.

Well, here i disagree...

My first car in Germany was a Kia Venga- awesome small kind if van/suv 

7 years we had it never showed to need anything even if we did inspections and tüvs and all. We paid 13,000 eu and after 6 years sold it for 6,500 with 45,000 km 
I would buy a Kia again- infact we are looking for the Hyundai Kona lets see.

For work I have driven a polo and an audi- both so smooth to drive with 😀 but wouldn pay those prices. Just my personal opinion of course.

I would consider gas usage- taxes-
insurance and basics around buying a car. 

2 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

If you don't want the cost to bore a hole in your pocket, that should be ok.

In your case I would also take a Toyota into consideration. Even more boring, but have a reputation to be reliable.

Mike: Which cars below 70000€ are not boring to the eye?

Alfa Romeo, Fiat 500, Tesla Model 3, Seat Leon (now looks outdated), Mazda, Mercedes A class AMG/ C class shooting brake...

Then there are the ones who are not boring to the eye, because they are dreadful:

- Mini (a.k.a., the hipster car)

- Smart

- BMW i3

- Nissan Juke

- Toyota CHR (the back)

- Citroen C3 (or any with those side airbags)

- Fiat 500 XL

A special mention for Alfa Romeo. In pure Italian mindset, they said "fuck the license plate" and just placed the large central grid and move the license plate sideways! Love it!

21 minutes ago, atinherne said:

I would buy a Kia again- infact we are looking for the Hyundai Kona lets see.

I drove one. Terrible materials and handling. What a pain to drive.

You can buy a decent well-restored Ford Mustang 1965 for less than €25K. You don't have to drive it: just start the V8 engine 👍.

17 hours ago, ahammed said:

@MikeMelga @vivancoWhat do you think about VW Golf/Golf +? A Gebrachwagon in 7K euro for this model, seems okay to go for? Do you thinks VW is still a reliable brand?

There are many other factors that one should consider too. like how old is the car and the milage. When not so long ago when I was in market for my first car, I bought the a 3.5 yrs old Megane with 46K km on it for 7K€ from a small dealer. At that Point I have no idea what to look in a car. So I decided not to buy a quite old car as chances of visiting mechanics is high. Dealers were offering either very high milage car or quite old(10+) for my Budget. TIll now it has served me well. My search was to buy a car that is upto 4 years old with decent power with milage of about 10-15K km /year. Also check if the car is accident free.

Whatever car you buy, note that the expensive the car is , the corresponding repair and insurance are also high.

16 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I drove one. Terrible materials and handling. What a pain to drive.

Really!? 😭

50 minutes ago, atinherne said:

Really!? 😭

If you are tempted by such cars, do yourself a favor and test drive both an hyundai/Kia and an european car with good handling on the same day.

Perhaps you are ok with it, but for me a car has to be comfortable and painless to drive.

You think French cars are unreliable, but an Alfa is ok???

Just buy a cheap car that has passed it's TUEV, and keep it basically German (I suggest Skoda, as it's basically a cheaper VW, and as reliable) because everyone can fix it, and parts are easy to get (even used ones on eBay).

2 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

You think French cars are unreliable, but an Alfa is ok???

Alfa is the worst car you can fall in love with. I said it was not boring, and it is on my top 5 sexy car list, but it is not reliable. Or maybe they improved it in the past 10 years.

They are cool looking, but I have not heard that they are now reliable. They might be better, but you'd do well not to get one for a family road trip :)

To be fair, I would definitely like to have one. Alas, I can't afford to deal with the issues that would pop up. I need proven reliability, and that means I stick to boring.

21 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Alfa is the worst car you can fall in love with. I said it was not boring, and it is on my top 5 sexy car list, but it is not reliable. Or maybe they improved it in the past 10 years.

My 156 2.4 JTD now is 21 years old. No complaints from my side.

If I would have a chance I would like to buy another 156 with the 6 cylinder Arese motor.

I am not interested in the new cars which report the fuel consumption to the EU, have a spy microfon and have all these electronic assistence systems.

Possible when I will need assisted accommodation, I will by a car with assisted driving, but not now.