Buying a car, which model, and which regions of Germany have best deals?

33 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I am looking for your expert advise before buying my first car in Germany. I live in Baden Württemberg and find out the Autohaus here are more expensive than other parts of country. Can you please advise me the region to have a better price deal? I only want to buy from dealer as they seem more reliable with 1 year warranty.
My colleagues advised me not to go for German car, better to choose a Japanese and Korean autos. But I was always fascinated for Audi. What's your opinion as a native.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

You have to first fix all the criteria that should be present in your car, example make, age, type, model, features etc. Next fix your price limit. With this look for the car in your geographical area through online car handler like mobile.de etc. With this you will be able to narrow down the desire car and its price point. Once you have that data, look for a car that is availaible around the price point at a nearest dealer who might have the car. Paying the nearest dealer couple of hundred euro more  should also be good deal because of saving time and effort compared to buying one from a far one. Buying for a distant dealer can help only if the saving is about more than 1000 euros. 

If you would be a car in Hamburg with a one year warranty and you have a claim, you will have to give the dealer a chance to fix it.

Meanung, you will have to return the car to Hamburg. Have fun.

3 hours ago, ahammed said:

Hello everyone, I am looking for your expert advise before buying my first car in Germany. I live in Baden Württemberg and find out the Autohaus here are more expensive than other parts of country. Can you please advise me the region to have a better price deal? I only want to buy from dealer as they seem more reliable with 1 year warranty.
My colleagues advised me not to go for German car, better to choose a Japanese and Korean autos. But I was always fascinated for Audi. What's your opinion as a native.

If you are a new driver, i would advise you to buy some cheap car around 2000-2500€ with new tüv. This is because the insurance will be cheaper, scratches/bumps as a new driver won't hurt you and you get enough road experience. In the meanwhile you will have enough time to keep searching for a better/desired car and you can almost always turn in your old car for 1000€ to the dealer from which you are buying the new car. You can set a 200 km radius to search for car. Rest depends on your budget and reqs.

12 hours ago, ahammed said:

Asian cars were clearly more reliable and cheap to maintain until 20 years ago. Now they live on that reputation, but they are as reliable and cheap to maintain as other brands of similar price.

I simply cannot understand the fascination about Audi! It is a brand that tries to put itself in the premium segment, along Mercedes and BMW, but IMO it is one level below, in quality of construction. The typical Audi A4 has a shitty suspension, poor handling and high maintenance costs. It depreciates more than Mercedes and BMW.

The only reason I see for people buying it is, as Jeremy Clarkson elegantly said: "I have an announcement to make. It is OK to buy BMW once again. The pricks have gone Audi!".

So if you are a complete asshole driver who loves black cars, Audi is perfect for you!

Regarding where to buy, just go for a local reputable dealer. That will save you a lot of problems. Trying to save the last few Euros is a mistake.

Oh, and stay away from french cars, they are good value for the money, but after 4 years they start falling apart, especially electrical system.

"Oh, and stay away from french cars, they are good value for the money, but after 4 years they start falling apart, especially electrical system".  If this is true, I wish I had known it before I bought a Renault! 

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

My 19 year-old Renault disagrees.

My wife´s 17 year old Laguna (bought before we were married, despite my strong disapproval) disagrees with your disagreement. Not only we experienced multiple electrical issues, I found an obvious design issue with one of the electrical component.

Worst, one of the issues was extremely dangerous, to the point where the car would accelerate on its own and it was not possible to turn it off.

I agree with MikeMelga. My experience also shows that, French cars have lower quality than their German or Japanese rivals.

That being said, under huge cost pressure, German cars are also not as high quality as they were in the past.

11 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Make the same study after the car are 6-7 years old. As I said, french cars are great value for the money, if you keep them for 4 years.

If you ask a french car owner if he is happy with it after 2-3 years of ownership, of course he will say "yes".

with 51 per cent of owners of models aged between 12 and 24 months

On ‎19‎.‎07‎.‎2020‎ ‎12‎:‎24‎:‎27, vivanco said:

You have to first fix all the criteria that should be present in your car, example make, age, type, model, features etc. Next fix your price limit. With this look for the car in your geographical area through online car handler like mobile.de etc. With this you will be able to narrow down the desire car and its price point. Once you have that data, look for a car that is availaible around the price point at a nearest dealer who might have the car. Paying the nearest dealer couple of hundred euro more  should also be good deal because of saving time and effort compared to buying one from a far one. Buying for a distant dealer can help only if the saving is about more than 1000 euros. 

Thank you @vivanco

23 hours ago, syedalisajjad said:

If you are a new driver, i would advise you to buy some cheap car around 2000-2500€ with new tüv. This is because the insurance will be cheaper, scratches/bumps as a new driver won't hurt you and you get enough road experience. In the meanwhile you will have enough time to keep searching for a better/desired car and you can almost always turn in your old car for 1000€ to the dealer from which you are buying the new car. You can set a 200 km radius to search for car. Rest depends on your budget and reqs.

Thank you Sajjad vai. @syedalisajjad

13 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Asian cars were clearly more reliable and cheap to maintain until 20 years ago. Now they live on that reputation, but they are as reliable and cheap to maintain as other brands of similar price.

I simply cannot understand the fascination about Audi! It is a brand that tries to put itself in the premium segment, along Mercedes and BMW, but IMO it is one level below, in quality of construction. The typical Audi A4 has a shitty suspension, poor handling and high maintenance costs. It depreciates more than Mercedes and BMW.

The only reason I see for people buying it is, as Jeremy Clarkson elegantly said: "I have an announcement to make. It is OK to buy BMW once again. The pricks have gone Audi!".

So if you are a complete asshole driver who loves black cars, Audi is perfect for you!

Regarding where to buy, just go for a local reputable dealer. That will save you a lot of problems. Trying to save the last few Euros is a mistake.

Oh, and stay away from french cars, they are good value for the money, but after 4 years they start falling apart, especially electrical system.

@MikeMelgawow! You cleared a lot of confusions. Thank you.

It's really hard to go wrong with VW.  A Polo or Golf are close to a perfect car in that price range.

The only potential criticism is it is not a very emotive brand, it's a bit boring on the eye.

39 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

It's really hard to go wrong with VW.  A Polo or Golf are close to a perfect car in that price range.

The only potential criticism is it is not a very emotive brand, it's a bit boring on the eye.

If you don't want the cost to bore a hole in your pocket, that should be ok.

In your case I would also take a Toyota into consideration. Even more boring, but have a reputation to be reliable.

Mike: Which cars below 70000€ are not boring to the eye?

3 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Mike: Which cars below 70000€ are not boring to the eye?

Alfa Romeo Guiletta

Smart Fourfour.

Got the latter in the rental last year. The driving sucks, even for a budget car, and now I learned it is based on Renault Twingo. Previous generation (2004-2006) was based on Mitsubishi Colt.

1 minute ago, yourkeau said:

Alfa Romeo Guiletta

Smart Fourfour.

Got the latter in the rental last year. The driving sucks, even for a budget car, and now I learned it is based on Renault Twingo. Previous generation (2004-2006) was based on Mitsubishi Colt.

I am driving a Allfa Romeo 156 for 19 years now. I often have a look at the Guilia with the Ferrari engine. However, since it would only be in the garage most of the time I don't think, I would ever buy one.

I wouldn't buy it either, but this is what I'd have bought if outside looks was important to me, and I did not have much money.

We sit inside the car most of the time, but we all find it more important how the car looks from the outside. Interiors of most cars are equally boring.