Freelancing- Should I or na

11 posts in this topic

Hi there!! 
Hope you all are doing well in this hard time. 

I am in a bit of confused state at the moment. I would really appreciate if anyone can alleviate me from this confusion. 

I have been offered work which is 16 hours a week and I will be paid 400 for the month. 
But the company has told me that I would have to issue an invoice. 
I have not applied for a freelancer ID yet and at the moment, my husband and I do the taxes together and I am also insured with him as family. 
I was wondering if I should be applying for freelancer ID for such small project. (Or could I still do the project and put the amount as an additional income when we do our taxes?)

I plan to apply for freelancer in future as I have plans for it but right now I only have one project not more. 
Do you have any suggestions for me? 
I thank you so so much!!!! 😊😊

I can’t help with the bureaucracy side, but for this project you would be earning 6.25 an hour. That’s before any taxes or other expenses are taken out. Do you really want to do that?

On 16/07/2020, 17:53:01, Harp said:

Do you have any suggestions for me? 

Maybe reconsider the job?

Yes you have to register as a freelancer. It's not that big a deal. You get a tax number you include on your mandatory tax returns (Anlage S) , even if combined with your husband. The company wants you to issue an invoice as proof that they are not per se providing you with work. I doubt they care much what it looks like, but you can ask them if they have a template. It's technically not allowed to be a freelancer and only ever work for one place, so this somehow makes it seem that your working for them is all on you. This a widely ignored condition, though. It's more that the company would be in trouble for shirking contributions if it were treating its 'freelancers' like underpaid employees.

But... you know you are being massively ripped off, right? You are making well below minimum wage (8.50€), as what you are getting works out to 6.25€ per hour. You'd earn more, working less stocking shelves. And the company doesn't have to provide you with pension or insurance contributions. Sweet! Why not ask them at least for 450€, the Minijob limit? 

This is classic exploitation. I guess if you have no other options, it's better than nothing, but to me it's warning bells. Is it by chance an English teaching gig at a language school?

4 hours ago, alderhill said:

You are making well below minimum wage (8.50€), as what you are getting works out to 6.25€ per hour.

Minimum wage is €9,35.

It will be increased to €10,45 in July 2022 in 4 steps.

27 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Minimum wage is €9,35.

It will be increased to €10,45 in July 2022 in 4 steps.

Righto, then this is even more outrageous. Last time time I worked min wage, albeit briefly, it was €8.50. Been a while since.

I'm sorry that I cannot add anything constructive to this topic, but I do have a query:  How does €400 per month for 16 hours per week come to €6.25 per hour?  €400 per month is €4800 per annum;  16 hours per week is 832 hours per annum.  I make this about €5.77 per hour.   Please note  I am not in the German labour market, but my German friends assure me that the four week income period is no longer in common use.  Indeed one of my friends was quite disparaging about its antiquity.  Having said this I notice that the British government is now paying the state pension at a four-weekly interval (i.e. 13 times a year).

There are generally ~22 working days per month, but given this appears to be only for one month, I made the assumption of 64 hours. Looking at yearly figures is irrelevant on such a short term contract, but yes, it may possibly be even less than the 6.25 amount.

short answer: no, don't do it.

Pay is less than minimum wage. I'm assuming this offer doesn't give you any paid time off, health insurance, unemployment insurance, or payments into Rentenversicherung?

Tell the employer you'll be available for the 16 hours per week job at 1.400,- € a month. You'll be billing them at 20,- € per hour - and that's real cheap, even if it's just something along the lines of house-cleaning.

And then, yes, you'll need to register as a freelancer, "selbständig" - and get more than one customer, or you'll be considered "scheinselbständig".

On 18/07/2020, 09:20:18, alderhill said:

Maybe reconsider the job?

Yes you have to register as a freelancer. It's not that big a deal. You get a tax number you include on your mandatory tax returns (Anlage S) , even if combined with your husband. The company wants you to issue an invoice as proof that they are not per se providing you with work. I doubt they care much what it looks like, but you can ask them if they have a template. It's technically not allowed to be a freelancer and only ever work for one place, so this somehow makes it seem that your working for them is all on you. This a widely ignored condition, though. It's more that the company would be in trouble for shirking contributions if it were treating its 'freelancers' like underpaid employees.

But... you know you are being massively ripped off, right? You are making well below minimum wage (8.50€), as what you are getting works out to 6.25€ per hour. You'd earn more, working less stocking shelves. And the company doesn't have to provide you with pension or insurance contributions. Sweet! Why not ask them at least for 450€, the Minijob limit? 

This is classic exploitation. I guess if you have no other options, it's better than nothing, but to me it's warning bells. Is it by chance an English teaching gig at a language school?

Hey! I am only doing the job for some experience and it is just for a short time. I won't stay in the company for long.
That being said, i just felt for a such a low income and would it be so necessary to apply for freelancing or can i just put it as a additional income when we(my husband and I) do our tax return

1 hour ago, Harp said:

Hey! I am only doing the job for some experience and it is just for a short time. I won't stay in the company for long.
That being said, i just felt for a such a low income and would it be so necessary to apply for freelancing or can i just put it as a additional income when we(my husband and I) do our tax return

As already said, yes you must register as a freelancer. 

The other issue with accepting exploitive conditions is that it ensures exploitive conditions will continue for others. They pull this kind of shit because people accept it, even gladly, whether out of naivety, desperation or the desire for "experience". Why sell yourself short? You are worth at least minimum wage. As is, what the company is doing violates labour laws. Better yet, do you have a name of the company? I am sure the local Finazamt would be very interested to inspect a tip off for such a cavalier company...